jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

How has this not been newsworthy?

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off … ld-soldier

This is the third time(I think) Obama has bypassed the Child Soldiers Prevention Act of 2008, so that we can give aid and sell weapons to countries that have children fighting as soldiers.

Thoughts?

1. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If I understand it correctly, I believe it is a way of bringing such countries back into compliance, but cutting off aid.

1. Dame Scribe profile image61
        Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's these 'rogue' militia units that don't give one iota of concern about the people - only the fear they can instill, crimes they can commit, crimes they can get away with, criminal fantasies they can live  hmm they are nothing but a gathering of 'criminals'  therefore - law and order is not their goal. just some thoughts. hmm

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I agree this should be in the media.  I honestly don;t know if it would be worse to allow fighters under 15, or not support and group using them.  Actively recruiting kids of obviously horrendous.  But perhaps sometimes it is the lesser evil? I would need more information to know what i thought about it.

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I don't think it's so much about the child soldiers that's being protected inasmuch as the 'sales' of defense products that's being upheld hmm

1. S Leretseh profile image78
      S Leretsehposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Definitive response

4. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

It states right in the Act itself that the President can waiver the application of any country if he determines it is in the national interest of the United States.

If he waived the countries in that memo, I'd like to know what our national interest is.  Libya, South Sudan, and Yemen and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  I can only guess that our national interest is the filling of bank accounts for US Arms and Defense manufacturers and the jobs they create.

I would wager that there are more Americans here that care more about having a job than that 13 year old boy in the Congo running around with an AR-15 assault rifle.

1. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are a lot of things we could do to create more jobs, that aren't justified.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Given that the Democrats are pushing signing the international treaty on arms sales, over vehement Conservative opposition, I doubt the reason is economic.  Arms makers don't vote for Obama so he has nothing to gain.

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Aw, c'mon', Jaxson! How can that compete with important stuff like what Obama and Romney did as kids?

1. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah... heck, this probably isn't even as important as Ryan callign Romney 'stench'.

Forget our support of child soldiers, SHOW US YOUR TAX RETURNS!

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol

working