jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

My Debate Crib Notes

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

Ok, this is me being totally partisan, but I'm allowed to do that sometimes. I don't know what was up with Obama, but he almost didn't address a single point Romney made, he mostly spoke about 2008, or emotional-appeal stories about grandma's and college students, or simply lying about Romney's plans. Anyway, this covers about 2/3 of the debate.

Obama - Romney is going to raise taxes on middle-class families by $2,000.
    Romney - No, I'm not. That's not in my plan.
    Obama - Yes it is.
    Romney - Mr. President, you're entitled as the president to your own airplane and to your own house, but not to your own facts.

Obama - I am only going to raise taxes on 3% of businesses.
    Romney - Those 3% of businesses account for 25% of all jobs.

Romney - $1 trillion deficits aren't moral.
    Obama - I'm going to cut our deficits.
    Romney - Obama should have run with Simpson-Bowles.
    Obama - That's what we've done, made some adjustments, and we're putting it before Congress right now.
    Romney - You've been president for four years. You said 4 years ago you would cut the deficit in half. 4 years later, we still have $1 trillion deficits. CBO says we will have $1 trillion deficits for the next 4 years.

Obama - The oil industry gets $4 billion per year. We can fix that.
    Romney - It's actually $2.8 billion per year. You gave $90 billion in breaks to green energy, that's about 50 years worth of oil breaks, and half those companies went bankrupt.

Obama - Corporations get a deduction for taking a plant overseas.
    Romney - I've been in business for 25 years and I have no idea what you're talking about. I maybe need to get a new accounant.

Romney - Obama is cutting $716 billion from Medicare. 15% of hospitals and nursing homes say they won't take any more Medicare patients under that compensation. 50% of doctors say they won't take any new Medicare patients under that compensation.
    Obama - ... can we talk about something else?

Romney - I will give future Medicare recipients the choice between traditional Medicare and private plans that will cost the same, or less.
    Obama - That won't work. I mean, look at Cleveland Clinic. They give some of the best care in the world, for lower than average prices. They do that by being smart and innovative.
    Romney - Thank you Mr. President, for proving my point about free enterprise.

Romney - Obama gave 5 banks carte blanche, they cannot fail under Dodd-Frank. This is the biggest sweetheart deal ever made between government and banks. Also, Dodd-Frank punishes banks for giving out un-qualified loans, but doesn't define what a qualified loan is, so banks are afraid to loan out money.
    Obama - Romney wants to repeal Dodd-Frank. I mean, we agree there are problems with it, but... look at what Bush did in 2008!

Romney - The CBO says Obamacare will cost $2500 a year more than traditional insurance. Obama promised to lower insurance by $2500 for families, but instead he is increasing it by $2500.
    Obama - *shakes head*

Romney - 75% of small businesses say Obamacare will make them less likely to hire.
    Obama - *mumbles something about pre-existing conditions*

Romney - The CBO says up to 20 million people will lose their insurance because of Obamacare.
    Obama - *shakes head with tight-lipped frown*

Romney - I worked with a legislation that was 87(OH YEAH HE DID!)% Democrat. I know how to reach across the aisle. America needs a leader who can reach across the aisle and finish the job.
    Obama - Did I mention that it's my anniversary?

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know what was wrong with the POTUS. He hardly even looked at Romney. He stared down at the podium for much of the debate.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think they call that shame, habee.  But, then, as someone said the other day, I'm just a big 'rightie.'  LOL

Don't know how far right actual Romney supporters are, but okay.

1. habee profile image90
          habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If I were so far right, I would have supported Santorum. Huntsman was my first choice. How did you like him, Mo?

1. 0
            Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

TBH, I don't know much about him.

I was a Romney supporter in 2008 and was devastated when he dropped out of the race. I've pretty much been behind him all the way this year.  Do I think he's perfect?  Nope.  Do I think he's necessarily the best man to be president?  Actually, no.  But, do I think he's got a stronger moral fiber than our current pres?  Better economic policies?  A much better chance of pulling our nation back up to its true potential?  Absolutely.

As far as Huntsman, what do you think his chances are in 2016?  Think he'll be back if Romney's not already in the WH?  If so, I better start getting to know him! smile

I can tell you this, though...I know with the number of times that I agree with you completely regarding politics and am convinced that we bang the same drum - chances are I'd have thought highly of him...lol

Regarding Santorum?  I'm a devout Catholic, and couldn't get myself to move THAT far right.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the summary.  I taped the debate but haven't had a chance to watch it.

2. HowardBThiname profile image90
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

What happened?

Obama looked little and lost.

I thought the leader of the US and, ostensibly, the Free World, would look a little more like a leader.

I was uncomfortable and embarrassed for Obama.