jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Are debates a valid measure of future performance for candidates?

1. peoplepower73 profile image85
    peoplepower73posted 4 years ago

Do debates really show us what a person is made of?  How often do presidents use debates while they are in office.  They actually use negotiation skills.  They negotiate with their staff and foreign leaders.  They don't debate.

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Debates are a form of performance art.
      It shows how a candidate can handle pressure and respond in an effective manner. It isn't an indication of how the candidate will actually perform at their intended position but it did work for JFK. roll

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I don't think debates are meant to measure future performance, they are just a chance to see the candidates in an unrehearsed setting.

1. ElSeductor profile image61
      ElSeductorposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unrehearsed setting?  Romney's answers were very well rehearsed.

R

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unrehearsed? Hardly!
      lol
      Romney's been in intensive debate prep for months with his handlers.
      He's been learning and practicing his lines over and over and over.
      Same process they used with Sarah Palin, only Romney is capable of memorizing numbers better. But both were coached to stay on the attack and go for the emotional jugular.
      And they did.
      Meanwhile,
      Obama sequestered himself in Las Vegas for only a few days.
      He made it clear he didn't enjoy prepping.
      He does not seem able to unmodulate his speech.
      He knows his stuff but he goes to the microissue and gets stuck there.
      I guess no one schooled him on the theatrical part of the night's performance.
      Also, maybe he underestimated his opponent.

3. Reality Bytes profile image91
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

lol

Perhaps if Obama had taken some questions from the press in the past six months, he would have been prepared to answer.  Obama was taken to the tool shed.  Justifying his incompetence may make you feel better but denial is not just a river in Egypt!

lol

1. ElSeductor profile image61
      ElSeductorposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Why can't people come up with new, creative cliches?

Romney was spewing hot air last night.  If you fall for his performance, you are easily fooled.  He is still an extreme capitalist.  I have first hand experience with Bain companies, and I can tell you that Bain companies have outsourced and continue to outsource jobs to China.

His "style points" last night will not change the fact that Romney is a champion of the wealthy.  He doesn't know what it is like to be a regular citizen.  He doesn't care about the people.  He cares about profits and corporations.

R

1. Reality Bytes profile image91
        Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You mean like Obama supporters that were misled in to believing that Barack was qualified for the job?

And Obama does?  The guy never even held a job until he was elected to office.  What you are witnessing is the implosion of a campaign, wait until the discussion moves to foreign policy.  Obama will not be able to uhm and ahh his way out of his obvious failure!

4. profile image0
    An AYMposted 4 years ago

I don't think debates are a valid measure, but I do think it's a fun way to get to evaluate someone's mind.
    I just wish the set-up was more like a conversation rather than a debate.  The only thing I feel like both of them do is give mildly related, rambling speeches with stories of them connecting with individual voters.

You can get a look inside someone's mind and how sharp it is in a conversation, not in this kind of parade.

1. peoplepower73 profile image85
      peoplepower73posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you.  I feel the same way.

working