Is there difference between ROMNEY and BUSH?

1. Shelby Diotte profile image60
    Shelby Diotteposted 4 years ago

As I sat and listened to Romney speak during the presidential debate, I could help but feel like I had heard this somewhere before. So I did what any good, free thinking American does, and I looked back on some of the reading I had saved this year,( Don't poke fun, I know I am a geek.) and then it hit me. Romney has been saying the exact same thing for years.Even during the Dubya Bush Era. Is Romney saying that what  the republicans have been doing all along isn't working?  Well, perhaps not the exact same thing, given his infamous "Flip Floppery", but pretty close. Here...see for yourselves:

ROMNEY 2012:  "My view is that we ought to provide tax relief to people in the middle class. But I'm not going to reduce the share of taxes paid by high-income people. High-income people are doing just fine in this economy. They'll do fine whether you're president or I am.  At the same time, gasoline prices have doubled under the president. Electric rates are up. Food prices are up. Health care costs have gone up by $2,500 a family. Middle-income families are being crushed." SOURCE : 2012 Presidential Debate, Oct 3,2012

ROMNEY 2007 (DUBYA ERA) : "I don’t stay awake at night worrying about the taxes that rich people are paying. I’m concerned about the taxes that middle class families are paying. They’re under a lot of pressure. Gasoline’s expensive. Home heating oil, particularly in the Northeast, is very difficult for folks. Health care costs are going through the roof. Education costs and higher education are overwhelming. And as a result, we need to reduce the burden on middle-income families in this country."  Source: 2007 Des Moines Register Republican Debate , Dec 12, 2007

So in other words, Romney is telling us that the "plan" implemented by Bush was not working in 2007, yet he wants to use the same plan to fix what isn't working in 2012?  Of the policies proposed by Romney in his 59 point economic plan, the majority match up almost identically with Republican policies from the Bush years. According to Romney's own words, the problems we face today, are the same problems we faced over 5 years ago, before Obama. Remind me of Einstein definition of insanity...."Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Romney wants to return to the policies of George W. Bush, which created the financial meltdown of 2008 and the Great Recession, but somehow wants us to believe that it's different?