jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Only in America!

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

Georgia Rep. Paul Broun is a Congressman and also a medical doctor and is running for re-election in November unopposed by Democrats. During a speech Sept. 27 at a sportsman's banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, he said in videotaped remarks that evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory are "lies straight from the pit of hell" meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.
    He believes the Earth is about 9,000 years old and that it was made in six days. Those beliefs are held by fundamentalist Christians who believe the creation accounts in the Bible to be literally true. That's no big deal since Congress is made up of all sorts of idiots ranging from Bachmann to Ron Paul that work hard to maintains Congress' 12% approval rating. The rpoblem with Broum is that he sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.  What's wrong with this picture?!

http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-calls … 14039.html

1. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Incredible, what an irony. A religious fanatic on a Science Committee

2. Gypsy Willow profile image78
    Gypsy Willowposted 4 years ago

Well, like you said "Only in America"!  As a collector of fossils from an early age I could have an interesting conversation with him. Sadly I have quite normal looking friends who believe the same thing and won't be budged.
    How ever did he get on the House Committee for Science Space and Technology?

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
      Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have  a small fossil collection also. Sadly trying to reason with a creationist is like teaching Algebra to a dog.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

What else is new?  Politics and religion will trump truth and knowledge every time.