jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Illegal Immigrants

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

"“If there is an authority, you should be it,” Hinojosa said she told Wiesel. “And he said, ‘María, don’t ever use the term ‘illegal immigrant.’ And I said, ‘Why?’ And he said, ‘Because once you label a people ‘illegal,’ that is exactly what the Nazis did to Jews.’ You do not label a people ‘illegal.’ They have committed an illegal act. They are immigrants who crossed illegally. They are immigrants who crossed without papers. They are immigrants who crossed without permission. They are living in this country without permission. But they are not an illegal people."  http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/07/n … i-germany/

Excellent analysis!

1. profile image90
      HSchneiderposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wiesel is exactly right. Political organizations often need scapegoats to succeed. Calling immigrants without papers illegal is a form of demonizing them to mobilize their base. These groups often expand upon this with more moderate citizens. Then the momentum becomes unstoppable. Hitler used this in Nazi Germany. There is a danger here but I think we are much too independent minded in this country to fall for this nonsense. Still we must be on guard against these tactics.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hope we are too independent minded.  Sometimes, when I listen to the words that come out of my fellow citizen's mouths, I do wonder if they have ever had an independent thought in their lives, or whether they are simply "quacking" (Orwellian phrase).

2. mio cid profile image61
      mio cidposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And that's exactly why I mention it on my profile ,the term illegal aliens may be an accurate description but the term has hateful connotations brought about by nefarious people in history.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Well I guess we could apply the label "Citizens of a foreign country that have sneaked  across a US border in violation of the law and remain in the country in violation of other laws" but it seems a trifle bulky.

We could call them immigrants, but of course they are not and we would be promoting a lie to give the impression they are.  Immigration to the US requires certain steps to be taken, these "Citizens of a foreign country that have sneaked across a US border in violation of the law and remain in the country in violation of other laws" refuse to take them and therefore are not immigrants. 

On the whole, "Illegal aliens" seems the most descriptive label I've heard yet.  I suppose that technically a person cannot be "illegal" in an of themselves, so if technically correct language is required the best thing might be to label them as "Aliens in the country illegally", but it again seems a little bulky.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

They are immigrants and their immigration was illegal.
    Technically, it's correct and clear.

Do you prefer the word ALIEN?
    I don't.
    We shouldn't invite comparison with creatures from outer space.

1. a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization ( distinguished from citizen).

2. a foreigner.

3. a person who has been estranged or excluded.

4. a creature from outer space; extraterrestrial adjective

5. residing under a government or in a country other than that of one's birth without having or obtaining the status of citizenship there.

6. belonging or relating to aliens: alien property.

7. unlike one's own; strange; not belonging to one: alien speech.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just can't see anyone confusing or comparing an "illegal alien" to an ET.  As 6 of your 7 possible definitions fit the illegal alien (NOT an immigrant); would it not be better to remove #4 from the list and rename them "extraterrestrials"?  That way both terms are correct.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I am a big fan of trying to be politically correct, but I think this one's a stretch.  All kinds of status are expressed this way, the immigration is being described as illegal--not the person,  I mean, my status is as a non-resident alien.  It doesn't mean I am homeless and extra-terrestrial.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

working