Abortion politics

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (52 posts)
  1. lizzieBoo profile image61
    lizzieBooposted 11 years ago

The British government refuses to consider lowering legal abortion from 24 weeks to 12 weeks. Thoughts?

lizzieBooposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess no one gives a shit. No surprises there then

1. innersmiff profile image66
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Steady on. It takes a while to get a reply on anything at the best of times.

2. kathleenkat profile image84
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe those of us who care haven't logged in the in past 66 minutes wink

I think 12 weeks is a completely reasonable amount of time to decide whether or not you want a baby. 24 weeks is 6 months...If you haven't decided by then, may as well go through with it cause you're already showing anyway.

That being said, I don't think that the legal abortion 'age' would be adjusted unless there was due cause for it. People can whine about the rights of the unborn all they want, but I doubt it will change anything until someone comes along and proves something. Although I have heard of babies being born really early, and surviving. Maybe even as early as 24 months, but I don't know for sure. Research it.

lizzieBooposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They can live at 24 weeks yes

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Survival rate would be around 30%.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but you neglect to mention that some women have what appear to be perfectly normal periods a few months into the pregnancy. It isn't always that they *haven't made their mind up* but *didn't know they were pregnant* in the first place.

Or they are a terrified 13-year-old living in the house of their abuser and no one detected it until then.

Or they only discover from the amnio that they children is going to die a horrible painful death shortly after birth due to a genetic condition.

Or any one of a hundred of other possibilities.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Exactly, there are a plethora of reasons why a woman (or girl) should be given 24 weeks before reaching a decision.

1. kathleenkat profile image84

These are the exceptions, not the rule. For the majority of women, they notice they are pregnant by the time it's 3 months.

Abortions for medical purposes and well being of mother/baby are more than acceptable to me.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Can you provide a link (other than from a pro life group) which indicates that those women, who are in the minority by the way, which opt for termination post 12 weeks, are just those which have *not made up their minds*?

I fail to understand your reasoning, when you say that a woman who is approaching 24 weeks might as well *go through with it anyway* because *they are showing*  What do the outward signs of pregnancy have to do with the decision to terminate, or not, as the case maybe?

I don't have any links. There are many reasons why women would want a late-term abortion, most of which probably aren't documented (that I know of, you don't have to say "why" to get an abortion where abortions are legal). I was referring to my personal beliefs, that is is MY belief that a woman is given more than enough time to decide at 6 months whether or not to carry a baby to term.

If not for medical reasons facing life or death, I say she may as well go through with it because 6 months pregnant is really far into the pregnancy. Her body would have already gone through changes, and passing a terminated fetus through the vagina would be similar to giving birth because of it's size (if she doesn't want the baby for reasons of vanity). May as well be a live baby, if we're talking medical expenses and whatnot. Fetuses have been known to survive at 6 months, too.

We all believe different things. Whether or not I feel like posting links doesn't validate my beliefs. Look it up yourself if you want. Don't ask me to post a link for you, if this is something you truly care about.

2. profile image56
      jzcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This should not even be a consideration, since life begins when the egg is inseminated. Abortion is the scurge of mankind. in the U.S alone we have lost over 51 million babies. Imagine what we have lost! MABE A DOCTOR WHO WOULD FIND THE CURE FOR CANCER OR MAYBE THE CURE FOR OBESITY OR MENTAL ILLINESS OR WHY THE BRAIN SUCCOMS TO MANY ADDICTIONS.
      jUST IMAGINE IF YOU WERE mURDERED AT BIRTH YOU WOULD'NT BE READING THIS NOW........................

ABORTION IS THE DESTRUCTION OF A LIFE.
         AND WHO OR WHAT GIVES US THE RIGHT TO DESTROY WHAT GOD HAS CREATED, WETHER SOME OF YOU BELEIVE IT OR NOT HE CREATED YOU TOO.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

What you want me to give a "s**t" about?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You demand discussion within 30 minutes?

My opinion is the UK government has to be guided by their citizens and standards, not mine.

I personally see no pressing need to lower the limit.  Outside of never/always it is a judgement call.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Jeremy Hunt came up with this judgement call. He is now also the minister for health, wants to cut NHS costs where ever possible and maximise profits for the private (medical) sector. I'd be interested to see whether he proposes that NHS terminations should only be performed on patients at 12 weeks into pregnancy, or across the board.

He's not particularly fond of science and working women, either.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 … n-comments

5. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Ok... everyone who supports abortion up to 24 weeks.

If the fetus is birthed at 23 weeks, and is living... would it still be OK to kill it? After all, it's still under 24 weeks.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

80% of abortions are pre-12 weeks.  Most of the rest will represent special circumstances.  I think the system leaving it to the patient and doctor is working well.

People see things differently.  But as the fetus is not conscious until it breathes I consider it a potential life, not an actual life, until birth.

Everyone has their own take on it. But if I ended up with an unwanted pregnancy *I* would want to decide what to do about it.

How do you know it's not conscious? If only babies could talk...

From the rather extensive research which shows that consciousness is suppressed by a triple redundant system until the blood is oxygenated by breathing.

But I am not asking anyone to think the same way as me.  Just saying that there are rational, evidence-based, sincere differences of opinion here.

It is not a clear case of good-clever versus evil-stupid with a magical millisecond of pregnancy when personhood occurs.

Actually I am genuinely interested. I would like to read about this, if you have any links.

The experimental data relates mainly to animals, here is a review http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_uploa … are/94.pdf

Thank you! I would never have known where to look. So much pro-this, pro-that when you search "abortion" or "fetus" on the internet.

7. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Government and religion has no business in abortion. That is up to the woman, her doctor and her family.

Unfortunately, the government has everything to do with abortions when they are brought to court.

I have seen on the news where the male has brought the female to court to prevent abortion of the child. Abortion was legalized (in the States) because of a rape victim that brought it to court.

Because of these happenings, laws were created. To protect the 'exceptions' that fell through the cracks of the original law/s.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I consider late abortions to be murder. Some research shows that a fetus can experience pain at 18-20 weeks:

http://news.discovery.com/human/fetus-p … n-law.html

A British study says 24 weeks, and an American study says 28 weeks:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- … 91704.html

I also read (I think in one of these articles) that women can opt for pain meds for the fetus during an abortion. I'd never heard of that. Anyone know anything about it? If that's true, and if the fetus doesn't experience pain, the abortion wouldn't seem so horrendous. That's my opinion. I think early abortion should be legal, by the way. A 24-week fetus, however, is not just a mass of cells. I know several babies that age who survived. In fact, we have friends who had a daughter born at 22 or 23 weeks, and she's a healthy first grader now.

1. movingout profile image61
      movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Habee...I applaud your saying early abortion should be legal.  Unfortunately, If I'm correct? Your candidate, Mitt Romney, is against any form of abortion or planned parenthood for that matter?

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's for abortion only in the case of rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger. I'm pretty moderate (sometimes liberal) on social issues, but I'm a fiscal conservative. The economy/debt/deficit are very important to me now. I can never find a candidate with whom I agree 100%. Anyway, I don't think Romney is going to push any anti-abortion legislation. I think his main focus will be on the economy. I'll always believe he's a moderate at heart, and if he becomes POTUS, I think and HOPE he governs that way, instead of being pulled to the right by the extreme right wing.

I respect people who are against abortion for moral or religious reasons. I can certainly empathize, but I'm looking at it from a more practical point of view. Women are going to have abortions - legal or not. They've been doing it in some form or another for hundreds of years. I don't want us to return to deadly septic procedures.

1. movingout profile image61
          movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Habee, everytime Romney shows his moderate side and makes a statement along those lines, his campaign quickly releases a statement opposite of what he just said. (ea: abortion). I also can't agree 100% of anything said by a candidate. What scares me is the used car approach to all questions answered to that particular audience. I have no idea where Romney stands on any position. He may be a moderate at heart, but the rest of his teams players arent. Makes me wonder who will pull his strings if he's elected potus?

Where he stands isn't neccesarily where his campaign stands. As you stated, whenever he says something, his campaign releases something different (also, not sure that it truly is 'every time' as you claim).

As Habee said, he may not personally believe abortion is right, but that doesn't mean he's going to push that agenda. So far as I can tell, what Romney cares most about is the economy (not social issues-such as abortion) and that is something I admire about him.

2. habee profile image92

MO, I wasn't very happy with Mitt's choice of VP. I think he's bright, but he's too far to the right for my tastes. I wish we could have Romney/Huntsman or Huntsman/Romney.

9. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I think abortion should always be a matter of personal choice, and the decision to perform it belongs to the woman involved and if she wishes so, her immediate family. Nobody else will ever know all the reasons that will make a woman decide to have an abortion. Nobody walks in that woman's shoes. I'm a man and as such, I can only imagine it's a difficult decision to make. But in any case, abortion should be kept legal. Abortions will be performed no matter what. So, it's better if they are done legally and by competent doctors, with a proper follow up. But 24 weeks seems to me a little "late in the game", and in my opinion 12 to 14 weeks seem to be a reasonable limit. And since we're on the subject, imagine for a moment how easier things would be for everybody if politicians and religious people would stay out of the debate ?

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

The numbers here are kinda strange.
    It's currently legal up to 24 weeks. But it's being proposed to cut that in HALF? To 12 weeks?
    I mean, what about 20 weeks? Or 18 weeks? Or 16 weeks -- when you can have your amnio?

And just because it's legal up to 24 weeks does not mean that women will automatically hold off and say, "Oh well, I have plenty of time to decide this. I'll just wait until I'm showing and decide then."

On a related topic, has anyone seen or have thoughts on the new study that finds free birth control cuts down on abortions?
    Thoughts?
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/ … s-17400116

1. habee profile image92

Finding middle ground is a reasonable suggestion, MM. Do you know anything about anesthesia for the fetus in an abortion? I asked in an earlier post, but I guess no one is familiar with it.

2. kathleenkat profile image84

That's an interesting way to look at things. But it's a hard conclusion to come to (accurately). Birth control prevents pregnancy, and thus, probably prevents abortions. It does also prevent births, too. So who knows what these women would have chosen had they not had birth control?

1. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Statistically almost half of accidental pregnancies in the US end in abortion.

But how do you measure the would-be pregnancies stopped by contraception? Hmm? That is my point.

1. Josak profile image60

Since the legalization and common availability of contraception the rate of accidental pregnancy has fallen about 20%.

But avoiding an unwanted pregnancy is very different to having an abortion.

That's just an educated guess, at best, that those two statistics are related. You never really know what would have happened.

Or do you have a Tardis?

1. Josak profile image60

Which two statistics? After the legalization of contraceptives accidental pregnancy plummeted and and continued to do so as they became cheaper, since price and availability have steadied out in the late 90s so has the accidental pregnancy rate at a rate about 20% lower. There is no mystery or educated guess to it, it's simple statistics.

Yes, but you cannot possibly know that these women would have accidentally gotten pregnant had they not been on birth control. That is the educated guess part.

You can know that it would be possible and so would in some cases occur. 

We know it would occur at non-trivial levels given that about half of pregnancies carried to term were unplanned at conception.

So the connection seems pretty obvious to me.

11. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Social science may not be an exact science, in terms of social research perfect relationships almost never occur, but that doesn't mean relationships between variables are never found, nor does it mean that the social sciences can't offer substantial evidence when it comes to approaching societal problems.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)