Lesser of Two Evils

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/10/12/ … your-vote/

For those on the right, I think you can see the intent behind the article and why "voting for the lesser of two evils" may be counterproductive.

For my fellow liberals, try not to hate me too much :p.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

3. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

I read your link and it's not the lessor of the two evils that's behind this.  It is an ideology and philosophy of two different solutions to the same problems.  Obama's solutions are short term by stimulating the economy.  Romney's plan is long term. His oil independence program won't be in effect until 2020.  I just finished reading his plan that is posted on his official website. It is quite revealing.  Here is the link:  http://www.mittromney.com/jobsplan.

There is another factor that is lurking behind the scenes and that is the Federal Reserve policy of  Quantitative Easing.  They are currently pumping 40 billion a month into the economy.  This is separate from any administration policy.  They will continue to do this until 2015 or until they have achieved economic recovery with the job market and housing.  This is irrespective of any administration. I just read an article that said  certain economists are afraid this could create an inflationary environment.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When will this short term stimulus begin to help?

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
        peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are improvements in the economy already, you just have to be receptive to them: Saving GM, housing market starting to recover, job market starting to recover, many savings for medicare on prescription drug costs, Closing donut hole for seniors. 

I take it you didn't read Romney's plan.  The frame work for his plan is all based on long term gains.  Romney is using supply side economics where the riches gains trickle down to everybody else so they can buy products that business have supplied.  That takes time.

Obama is using demand side economics where the economy is injected with stimulus money so that people can buy products and services.  This happens on a relatively shorter basis. If you get a chance, read Romney's plan. It's 8 pages, but quite revealing.

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@peoplepower73 I'm not knocking Romney or Obama. Long term plans sound good and if everything goes the way they're suppose to, they usually work. But, as we all know, a lot of things can happen in 7-8 years. Plus people want to see the results yesterday, especially if they're struggling to make ends meet. If Romney is elected and serves only one term, the following president may scrap his long term idea due to circumstances in the Middle East, another recession, or for purposes of getting elected a second term if Romney's plan isn't popular. Predicting the future, epecially when dealing with oil and the nut cases that run these Middle Eastern countries is basically gambling with super high odds. Who knows, maybe someone will finally come up with a practicle way to run cars and other gasoline dependent vehicles on hydrogen (HINT: you need to produce a small generator that produces a lot of electricity)

Paul Wingert:  I agree with you completely. I think politicians who have long term plans that are well beyond their terms are blowing smoke up their own butts.  Because like you said there are so many variables that can thwart their plans.  I think a lot of has to do with ego and creating a legacy for themselves.  Although there are some plans that have been in place for the long term.  But even social security, medicare, and Obama care can be in jeopardy under certain circumstances.

4. knolyourself profile image61

knolyourself:  Very interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.  We shall just wait and see.  But I would rather be an informed investor and know what I'm waiting for than not have a clue about what is going on behind the scenes.  This is why I think who ever becomes president will have this lurking force in the background.

5. knolyourself profile image61

This lurking force runs the country by proxy. Ellen Brown is the best economist I have run across. As an investor - the game is fixed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)