jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Why would women vote for Romney?

1. 0
    Rad Manposted 4 years ago

He's not in favor of equal pay for women and avoided the question put to him during the debate.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's funny because his description of what happened is first of all false.  He was given the "binder full of women" before the election. 

Second of all, conservatives LOVE to cry about affirmative action and how unfair it is, so let's temporarily assume his story is true.  In Romney's story, he said he was presented only with qualified men.  Were his hiring sorters wrong on determining who was qualified, or did Romney seek out people less qualified BECAUSE of their gender in order to ensure that more women would be in government?

The man is ridiculous.

1. 0
        Rad Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That was my thinking exactly. The right person didn't get the job and he hired a women for less money and all this time the rich are paying less taxes. Great guy.

2. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

That Romney is against equal pay for women is speculation, at best. I believe that may stem from the Ledbetter bill, which Paul Ryan voted against. It was opposed because it would hold accountable current managers for the actions of past managers regarding equal pay for women. How would you feel if you just got a job, then got into trouble with the government because the guy you replaced hired one of your current employees at a lower wage?

When you pose the question "why would women vote for Romney" it makes me think you are buying into a certain political agenda, the same one which states that Romney is anti-women. The same one that states Obama will get ALL the women votes in this country. It's a gross generalization of women, to say that they all think in the same, liberal way. Here are some reasons why women would vote for Romney:

-Some women believe life starts at conception.
    -Some women are against abortion.
    -Some women don't view abortion as a 'human right.'
    -Some women oppose the ACA.
    -Some women feel that raising taxes on the wealthy would be unfair.
    -Some women are wealthy, and are feeling attacked (nobody wants a tax increase).
    -Some women against 'big government' and social programs.
    -Some women believe marriage is between 'one man and one woman.'
    -Some women agree that Obama has done a poor job as president.
    -Some women believe that the economy should be priority, first and foremost.
    -Some women are Republican.
    -Some women are Conservative.

It really isn't that outrageous. Many women are for and against the same things that Mitt Romney is. It's not like they are evil, anti-female-rights women. They just have the same idea of what's right and wrong as Romney does.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

" It was opposed because it would hold accountable current managers for the actions of past managers regarding equal pay for women. "

Only up to two years, and do women not deserve the back pay they were cheated out of?  The company should compensate the women for the money they are owed.   This is an extremely odd argument against the bill.  This is like saying, "I worked for Wal-Mart for ten years, and they just recently started fully compensating me.  Before, they were not paying me what I was actually owed.  However, holding them accountable for this is unfair." 

"‘(B) In addition to any relief authorized by section 1977A
      of the Revised Statutes (42 U.S.C. 1981a), liability may accrue
      and an aggrieved person may obtain relief as provided in subsection
      (g)(1), including recovery of back pay for up to two years preceding
      the filing of the charge, where the unlawful employment practices
      that have occurred during the charge filing period are similar
      or related to unlawful employment practices with regard to discrimination in compensation that occurred outside the time for filing
      a charge.’’