jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

The American Dream - It Lives

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

Folks, the American Dream lives on... don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Wife and I started a business, nothing big, working out of our front room part-time(when we aren't working other jobs, or dealing with surgeries, etc).

Small investment, only 4-digits... an amount we took about a year to save up.

So, we finally jumped in, and have been going about a month. In the last 10 days, we have recouped 25% of our start-up costs. The rate things are going(we haven't even started on paid advertising), I imagine we will both have to quit our other jobs to focus on this full-time, sometime between 6 and 12 months from now.

My point is, the American Dream does live. We have had (I lose track now) 5 surgeries in the last 6 months. My wife has been in the hospital for around 20 days, and on bedrest most of the rest of the time. I've been taking care of the kids full time, and trying to put in work early mornings and late nights on top of that. We have struggled, saved, and pinched, to start this business.

I hope it doesn't offend anyone, but I will never let anybody get away with saying the American Dream is dead.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image82
      Cody Hodge5posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm torn Jaxson...

I want to make a snarky comment about how she has done it despite Obama apparently hating small business...

But I wont....I'll simply say good work and good luck in the future.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, I have looked at what our tax situation is going to be... and it's going to be painful, that's for sure.

IMO, there should be some kind of tax holiday for companies, as long as they are less than X years old and make less than Y dollars.

Thanks though.

1. Josak profile image60
          Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually I was thinking just that the other day, businesses need time to get on their feet, needs to be some control for people not just endlessly starting businesses to avoid the taxes I guess.

Also good luck and congratulations the first step is the hardest.

2. Quilligrapher profile image89
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good luck to you, Jaxson. I’m hoping everything goes well for you.