jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

My favorite part of every election:

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 4 years ago

The Al Smith Dinner! Did you see it? I really enjoyed watching the candidates being humorous. Both Obama and Romney had some great one-liners.

1. AndReall profile image60
      AndReallposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Both are bogus lol

2. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Yes!
    It was laugh out loud funny in spots.
    Both men did well and got some zingers in!
    Not too down with wearing an American flag pin with tux.
    But both men did.

3. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

It was pretty good. I only got to watch it in pieces, the only moment I didn't enjoy was Obama poking fun at Honey Boo Boo...

I loved Romney saying he was glad to finally get a chance to wear the kind of clothes he and Anne relax in around the house.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Jax, that was my fave from Romney. Good morning, MM!

I loved the jokes from O and R, but I don't think either was as funny as McCain was in 2008. Maybe it's because Mc is often seen as a grumpy old man, so to see him cracking jokes was a stark contrast for many viewers.

4. lorlie6 profile image86
    lorlie6posted 4 years ago

Hey habee!  I thought it was a wonderful relief to all the mud-slinging that's always going on during election year, esp so close to 'the day'! wink  They were both much more, I suppose, people, ya know?

1. habee profile image91

Yeah, they looked like actual human beings. I like it when Obama gets tickled at his own jokes. He has a warm laugh.

5. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Romney had some great lines. I liked Jaxson's choice a lot. Also liked him writing the headline from the evening: "Obama gets Catholic support. Romney dines with rich people."
    Obama's self-deprecation about the first debate was effective, I thought. The lines about being refreshed for debate #2 after napping through debate #1, the fact that millions of people missed the first debate, "including me" and the line about there are worse things that can happen on your anniversary than forgetting to buy a present...

Honey Boo Boo is like the #1 phenom on TV. I think Obama's comment was not making fun of her, per say, but acknowledgment (ok, a jab) at how important it is for candidates to be up on pop culture. How many more people know who Honey Boo Boo is and where she is (what channel, timeslot) than can identify Libya on a map? It's sad, but true.

1. habee profile image91

Oh, so true.

I enjoyed Obama's comments on Biden, too. Both men took a stab at Joe. I liked O's telling the audience to sit down, or else Eastwood would yell at the empty seats. Good stuff.

working