It's completely broken.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

The socio-political environment has completely broken down, gone into extreme meltdown mode, and suffered a psychotic break.

We have degenerated from discussing things like the economy, healthcare, Bain's record, and Romney's gubernatorial record, into most threads being about big bird, binders, birds(the hand kind), and other pathetically off-topic 'issues'.

I'm sorry, but this is coming more from the left than the right. Reporters are claiming that Benghazi and Fast and Furious are non-issues, then they turn right around to talk about a comment made on the radio by Mitt's son, or 'How many women CAN you fit in a binder?'.

I'll tell you this: I'll be watching MSNBC on election night. If Romney pulls it off, I'm fairly certain there is going to be at least one aneurysm.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This happens because the American people do not demand real conversations. It takes too long, there are too many issues (most of what people call "issues" really only bait to divert from the real problems), and besdies, forming an opinion of substance requires lots of reading. Reading gets in the way of time needed to keep up with Honey Boo Boo, America's Got Talent, and the next episode of Bridezillas.

It's been that way for awhile, but the explosion of the net, compounded what TV had already set in motion, and social media was the death blow of thought and literacy. We have a whole new world where emptiness, stupidity and lies stuff the airways in every possible way in the guise of "information" (for wasn't that what the Internet was supposed to open up for everyone?). Not only is "information" lost to most people who have neither the inclination nor the skill set to find it, but with the mutilation and abandonment of truth comes the loss of the important next steps that are supposed to be born upon bed of information: knowledge, and through that, eventually, wisdom.

First you had the Stone Age, then the Bronze Age, the Renaissance, the Space Age, the Information Age, and now the Age of Corruption (in all possible definitions of that word).

I agree that it's completely broken and observing modern politics, both as practiced by those in government and by "citizens" "participating" makes me ill.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree and well stated.
        There are those who have researched and cultivated opinions/positions on the issues.It's a losing (lost?) cause to try to bring that research here, however.
        Jaxson's tried it with taxes.
        I've tried it with healthcare.
        Others have tried it, too.

In the end, you can't argue like a PhD with a kindergartner.
        The conversation has to be had at the lowest common denominator.
        So if you choose to play, you accept that fact.
        It's a game of speed, not skill.
        Gotta be quick on the draw with the meme du jour.
        That, in and of itself, is a challenge! lol

BTW, I have never watched Honey Boo Boo but I heard she endorsed Obama.
        lol

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

roll

Binders

2. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think what has happened is we all discussed the important things too much and everyone is burned out, all the arguments have been made and counter arguments too so now people are just discussing nothing at all.

I would prefer watching FOX if Obama wins, the difference is MSNBC has a tiny viewership compared to FOX. Actually that in itself says something interesting.

As for fast and furious didn't an independent commission already find Holder and by extension Obama free of all guilt?

Let me guess it was biased right?

1. American View profile image60
        American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes they did, but as they said, their decision was based on the same evidence presented to congress. If congress can get the rest of the records, the instigators might change that decision.  But I think if Obama loses and Holder will be replaced, we will never know the answer because the issue will then go away

3. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I got very lucky today then if this is the case, I was on a fellow hubbers piece and had a very grown up discussion with davesworld...at first glance you would think we were polar opposites and then, drumroll, we found common ground:)

That's good to hear, Jaxson.
        I've only posted one political hub in 2012. It was about the ridiculous number of requests for money the Obama campaign sends out daily. Indundation! In fact, Jon Stewart made mention of the same concern when Obama was on his show (yesterday?).
        I got maybe a handful of Dems with basically "atta girl" comments. Ho hum.
        But I got one hubber who posted daily at least 10 links to Fox News articles which of course had NOTHING to do with my topic.
        In the end, I stopped allowing his comments.
        There was no dialogue, no discussion. Just a "talking over" me with no real point.
        *sigh*

So I am glad you and davesworld had that exchange.

John Stewart is your news source?

No. I'm his.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

MM, Thank you smile There are some people I had to just give up on because their entire points are commercials,lol, but I was very happy to find some common ground with davesworld....Also Ken Burgess and I had a good debate about a week ago, we stayed on point, and gave full respect...we never agreed, but respectfully disagreed:)

4. Josak profile image59

I also see more than a touch of hypocrisy here considering yesterday you were talking about the "less than optimal" comment like it was politically important.

1. tammybarnette profile image60

? Josak, I guess your talking to Jax...

1. Josak profile image59

Yup that's why I posted it as a reply to his comment... At least that's how it's showing up on my computer. Sorry for any confusion.

2. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Point
        |
        |
        |
        You

big_smile

2. profile image0

I agree.

Did you see the interview with the college student that asked the question about jobs at the debate? He said something about how he doesn't care if manufacturing jobs are brought back to the US, that he and other college students wouldn't be interested in jobs like that.

IIRC, he was a exercise science major, so I'm not really sure what kind of job he thinks our country needs.

3. profile image0

Yeah, it says that nobody likes MSNBC.

1. Josak profile image59

Which in turn says something pretty good about the left compared to the right...

There is a limited audience for left-leaning news analysis.
        "Thinking" political shows like The West WIng (which MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell was a writer for) and The Network will never draw audiences away from reality TV.
        I used to love Air America -- Al Franken was on there.
        It's long gone. But at least Frankne's now a Senator!

1. JSChams profile image61
          JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of which what happened to Air America?

2. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it says something bad about MSNBC.

You are assuming that MSNBC is the same to liberalism as Fox is to conservatism...

Sorry, but it's not.

1. Josak profile image59

How is it not?

You beat me to the post, Josak.
            I tend to agree with Jaxson that MSNBC is NOT the liberal equivalent of Fox.
            But now that you've asked, I will be interested to see his response!

2. Repairguy47 profile image59

You have obviously never watched FOX news.

Why do you assume Josak has never watched Fox News?
              Have you ever watched MSNBC?
              I've watched both.
              Besides the slant of their politics, they are very different stations.
              But I'm waiting to hear Jaxson' thoughts on this.
              Jaxson? Oh JAX-son.....!!!

There is an actual difference between news commentators and news journalists, not exactly so at MSNBC. They will take a story and spin it much like you take a simple scratching of the nose and turn it into Ann Romney flips off Obama.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

That's an astute comment and I agree with you.
          However, I'm not sure our reasoning in seeing MSNBC as not being the liberal counterpoint to Fox is the same.
          smile

4. profile image0

I don't watch either network very often(maybe 30 minutes each the last 6 months)...

but from what I've seen...

<R--------------------Center-------------------L>
    -------------Fox----------------CNN-------------MSNBC

1. Josak profile image59

*snort* CNN is barely biased it's certainly not anywhere near as far to the left as FOX is to the right I have barely watched MSNBC but one of the maybe three times I did they actually criticized Obama for something! (quite recently)  suffice to say that in Australia when I was there people were actually getting cable so they could watch FOX and laugh at how conservative it was, watching FOX ironically was apparently done for fun.

REDUX

There is an actual difference between news commentators and news journalists, not exactly so at MSNBC.

There is a definite difference between news journalists and news commentators.
          MSNBC are commentators and they make no claim to be anything else. That's understood.
          FOX are also commentators. Although they pretend to be journalists. As Josak said, if you watch FOX for fun, knowing what its agenda really is, it's highly entertaining.
          If you watch FOX believing it's "real" news, you're in trouble.
          There have been studies where people with NO news source are actually better informed than FOX news viewers.

None of which add up to the apology Fox had to make for showing a suicide live on the air.

2. JSChams profile image61
            JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if the folks at MSNBC are merely commentators also why should we pay them any more mind than we would Fox?

5. Cody Hodge5 profile image70
    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years ago

You really do need to watch both if you want a real sense of what America is thinking and feeling.

I know everyone is going to rip on me for this...but I think Rachel Maddow is good at her job.

If you get a chance, watch Michio Kaku do an interview on Fox News.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I enjoy watching Rachel, too. I agree with you about Sharpton, also. My main news source from TV is CNN, but I watch FOX and MSNBC to get opposing views.

I just saw the latest viewership numbers for cable news, and FOX is way ahead, as usual. CNN is lagging behind MSNBC. I think this shows just how divided we are as a nation because IMO, CNN is clearly the fairest, overall. Evidently, that's not what people want. They prefer listening to cheerleaders for their side.

6. Cody Hodge5 profile image70
    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years ago

A couple other points...

Fox News is at least as far to the right as MSNBC is to the left. If anything, MSNBC became a left-leaning channel to counterbalance Fox News.

I can't stand Al Sharpton. His voice is just frustrating to listen to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)