jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

A Federal Judge Upholding Death Penalty Calls Christians Delusional

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://truth-out.org/news/item/12222-fl … urt-ruling

If you don't like the source, read the Judge's opinion for yourself.

What is very amusing about the rationale itself is that the Judge believes John Ferguson's delusion is a:

"relatively normal Christian belief, albeit a grandiose one.  There is no evidence in the record that Ferguson's belief as to his role in the world and what may happen to him in the afterlife is so significantly different from beliefs other Christians may hold so as to consider it a sign of insanity."

It's despicable that a delusional man would be executed.  The thirst for blood in this society is quite sickening; however, the Judge has a very good point about the fact that Ferguson's beliefs are not that far removed from the majority of Christians, especially conservative ones, and since Christians cannot use their religion to escape punishment for illegal actions, it follows that Mr. Ferguson cannot either.

I have two questions.  First, what is your opinion about this whole circus?

Second, is this a violation of separation of Church and State?  Why would the fact that(according to the judge) millions are delusional play into determining whether the man was rational enough to warrant an execution?  It wouldn't matter how many people were affected by the delusion.  All that follows is that a society filled with millions of delusional people would be in serious trouble, not that it was a way to escape calling a person insane. 

Furthermore, and this is why I think the judge didn't want to allow the delusional case to stand, is because it would open up a huge legal precedent for other people to use outrageous religious beliefs as escapes from the force of the law.

I guess Judge Glant believes insanity cannot be a widespread phenomenon.

2. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago

This is appalling.  This man is seriously mentally ill.  As to whether or not anyone believes that Christians are delusional, no SANE Christian believes they have more power than Jesus, murders members of his/her family because they believe they're being kept from preaching.  This man's issue is his mental illness, which from reading the article you can see is quite severe, NOT his faith.

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I'm against the death penalty...period.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I applaud you for that

2. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So am I, habee, and this is part of the reason.  I should have just said that.  But the mistreatment of this man due to judgmental (pardon the pun) attitudes absolutely strikes me as evil.

4. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 4 years ago

I am a Christian and just in case some are not I can tell you conclusive this man is insane.
    His beliefs are completely out of line with any scripture. His imagined position does not and will not exist.
    However he should not be executed for it. He has a mental issue and should be dealt with in that direction.
    It is not outside the realm of medical science to help him.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think you'd make a better judge in this case JS.

1. JSChams profile image60
        JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It strikes me that other folks would have been ruled insane.