jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Compromise has Become Impossible in Current Political Climate.

1. rhamson profile image77
    rhamsonposted 4 years ago

Within the last few years congress has proven irrelavent in governing and the executive branch has become impotent in their efforts to offer legislation and direction in this country. Instead of tackling the issues they both point at each other and morph all the past battles into one as to prove that the current issue at hand cannot work.

It seems as though there has to be a catalyst that will break the stalemate and help move the country in a positive direction. Could that be another world war, famine or something else to get us to come together and move ahead?

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I didn't send my congressman to Washington to compromise!

1. eternals3ptember profile image61
        eternals3ptemberposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, they phillibuster'd xD

2. rhamson profile image77
        rhamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately a lot of other people have forgotten that for a republic to work it needs to cater to the needs of the whole body and not the few. That is how the majority vote was overwritten with new house rules for the super majority. It is a real hinderance to governing fairly.

2. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 4 years ago

Politics is the art of compromise. If we don't compromise, nothing gets done.

3. innersmiff profile image79
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

If it comes with violating ones principles, compromise can stick it. Congress has been compromising on liberty for far too long.

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Excellent point.

Who can name one piece of important (meaning sweeping, widespread effect, helps a lot of Americans) legislation that has been passed from 2010 to present?

1. innersmiff profile image79
      innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can think of many a sweeping, widespread effect legislation that is not of benefit to most Americans, e.g. NDAA.

working