ROMNEY SAYS Fed Disaster Relief is "Immoral," shold be left to states!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Nancy Kaffer in the Detroit Free Press:

"But I’m convinced that Sandy is a bigger problem for Romney.

"Making the rounds is a YouTube clip from a 2011 GOP primary debate in which Romney says that federal disaster relief maybe isn’t such a good idea.

"Services that can be provided by the states should be shifted to the states, rather than the federal government, then-candidate Romney said, but it’s even better to shift government services to the private sector.

"Prompted by moderator John King to expand his stance on federal disaster relief, Romney said that it’s something “we cannot afford to do… without jeopardizing the future for our kids… it is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.”

Here's a link to the Romney video on dumping FEMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqXk5XxH … redirect=1

"So, that’ll play well with folks on the east coast, watching flood waters rise and waiting for the power to go out. "

http://www.freep.com/article/20121029/O … xt|Opinion

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your middle large paragraph is not accurate. Other than clipped and pasted video from youtube, do you have a transcript. Clearly that response is a Republican standard response against increasing debt. Your premise is a hatchet job.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  Just wow.  The right-wing never ceases to amaze me.

You do know these transcripts are VERY easy to find.

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Ralph  More right wing crap, how about the elephant in the room, the gluttonous defense budget?

Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I commented below before reading yours. Great minds!

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

So Romney doesn't say that disaster relief is immoral, but that continuing to increase debt that our children and their children will be responsible for IS immoral. There is a slight difference here.

He's right, too, and I for one am glad to see at one politician that understands that.  Bad enough that we provide charity by taking funding from people that don't agree with it, but to take it from kids that haven't a clue or the unborn kids that will inherit the debt we're piling up is simply wrong.  Either pay for the charity we want to give out or quit giving it.

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
      Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your logic makes perfect sense IF we are willing to let people die today so we can save the unborn....

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, we definitely have the money.  Shut down your satellite TV, give up the cell phones, sell the second car, use a slower internet (or none at all), give up the kids sports programs, stop buying designer clothes, etc. etc.

We could pay for it - we would just rather burden our children with the debt instead while buying all the luxuries and goodies we want now for ourselves.

1. Josak profile image59
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't really work that way... If we did see everyone adopt that spartan modest lifestyle our economy would collapse, it's a consumer economy and without consumption...

Spending to help an area devastated by a natural disaster isn't waste anyway it's effectively an investment, sure it costs in the immediacy but down the line it means that businesses will open sooner, tourism won't be harmed much etc. causing better economic growth for the country.

There is truth in your comment on the spartan lifestyle, but at the same time living a life of consumerism by borrowing from the future will eventually result in the same collapse. 

I don't swallow the rationalization of helping the country, either.  When the money that I could have used to buy a new car goes to some yahoo in New Orleans that has repeatedly built in a hurricane zone, without insurance because everyone KNOWS it will happen again and again, it isn't helping anyone but him.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying you agree with Romney and we should eliminate FEMA and privatize disaster relief?
      That people in disaster areas should PAY a private company for relief?  The states couldn't handle it better than a Federal agency.  States would only be concerned with efforts in their own state.  A Federal agency can mobilize throughout the nation and pull resources from one pool of financing.  And by privatizing disaster relief, that would only place further burden on those that could afford it least

I think people would be much better off it we all started thinking more about the people that are here now... living now...in need now... and less about unborn relatives and their possible futures.  Personally, I'm providing resources for my family using what I have and in this economy and I don't and never have relied on Government assistance.  I pay my taxes, and if they go up, I'll adjust.  I work 16 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week and wear many different hats.  My future belongs to me and as I teach my family what I do, I know their future belongs to them.

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich."
                                                                                                                   ~JFK~

1. Josak profile image59

Additionally those states are just going to have to put themselves in debt thus just moving the problem to the state rather than the country, also a state already devastated might not be in the best situation to go about doing repairs...

Either pay for it or privatize it (without subsidies), yes.  Of course, the rebuilding is already privatized - it's called insurance.  We know that every year will see some unexpected disasters strike somewhere in the country (real ones like Sandy, not simply bad weather or hurricane just like the dozens of others that will go through New Orleans again within a few years.

You want the general public to pay for FEMA and/or rebuilding, fund it.  Don't borrow it from the future.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That works out well for property owners but those that are affected the most are not property owners, they're renters and already living paycheck to paycheck. 
          Not sure where you live or if you are familiar with hurricane insurance but there is a small window where property owners can purchase it.  It is not offered to anyone during hurricane season. 
          I think FEMA is a necessary agency but I also agree with you that it needs to be funded and no borrowing from it if the funds are not used.  States already have their own Emergency Management Agencies but they don't fund them on their own, they request the money from the Feds.  So, just like with student loans, why do we need the added bureaucracy of a middle man.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

I doubt that private insurance is available for coping with disasters on the scale of the one in New Orleans.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
            Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or Sandy. How many states? 8?

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66

True. There is a difference, but Romney said he wanted to chop FEMA and turn it over to the states.

That's most likely because he doesn't want to have to pay for it.  I can somewhat agree with that, too - if the people affected aren't willing to set aside for a rainy day, why should anyone else do it for them?

States in general are much better at budgeting, although there are a few that will probably never "get it" such as California.  They should also know better what is likely to be needed than the politicos across the country do.

Personally, I'm kind of wishy washy on that one.  I can see definite advantages in the feds taking care of FEMA because of its size, but also think locals can do a better job for cheaper and think that said locals should also pay for most of the cost in most of the cases.

4. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He did say it and has reconfirmed his stance as the hurricane hit.

5. profile image0

Wrong.

Romney said not cutting spending is increasing the debt on our children, which is immoral.  Keeping FEMA at the same levels without cutting it is increasing debt on our children.  Therefore, it necessarily would have to be immoral.

What about increased "defense" expenditures beyond what the Pentagon is asking for? What about the cluster bombs that we are stockpiling? Much more moral than FEMA!

1. profile image0

Of course they are.  Romney has an insatiable appetite for defense spending.

6. kathleenkat profile image84
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you here. First of all, this is just the media making him out to look like a bad guy. Many people would agree with him, that it's not moral to force debt onto our children by having this done on the federal level.

I also think it's an excellent idea to have it done on the state level. That way, the places that were effected by whatever disaster would foot the bill. So you live in Kansas, and there's a tornado. Um...You live in Kansas, you'd have to EXPECT there to be a tornado. Why should you expect tax dollars from other places, such as Hawaii, to pay for that? I think it should come out of the state's taxes, personally...

Just my opinion. I think Mitt's onto something.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Apparently yesterday his campaign managers made sure he modified his stance on FEMA, but he did once again change his 'words' when it seems necessary.  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/105478#post2244028

4. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 11 years ago

Interesting stance by canidate Romney. I have been doing some interesting reading on the Mormon Church, and how the practicioners of polygamy are bleeding the U.S. Federal Government dry in States such as Utah and Arizona. (That means all of the U.S. resources being tapped)

In order for the "Prophets" of the church to attain the highest places in heaven, they are required to produce as many souls as humanly possible. Since the pesky U.S. outlawed polygamy, each Prophet; or Chosen brother marries a wife, gets her pregnant, and then divorces her. This trend continues until a prophet is popping out souls at one per month.

After the divorce, the pregnant women are trucked to the Department of Human Services, where they are signed up for all of the benefits (U.S. Taxpayer funds), due an expectant mother, and her living offspring. Considering that in many of the more abusive polygamy communities, inter-marrying causes horrendous birth defects, the benefits of course, escalate per the need of the child.

While the sister wives rake in tons of benefits, the prophets reap most of the benefits. They control all of the money in the communities, usually leaving the sister-wives and children in poverty.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/polyg … gamy5.html
    http://aconservativelesbian.com/2011/01 … -children/

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderso … allet.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics … ney-family

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 … can-roots/

This talking out of both sides of their mouths, reminds me of what happened in Joplin, Missouri, in 2011. Because of brain washing by Tea Party propaganda, and Fox News dialouge (Glen Beck), there was an expressed dislike for President Obama, causing our poor neighbors to refuse Federal Disaster Relief funds for 6 months, which were desperately needed. The town was devestated by a horrible natural disaster (Tornado), in 2011.

They did finally accept the funds, and even showed gratitude.

This anti-social caring, is just another form of sleight-of-hand move by a group of billionares who want it all, and do not want to pay their fair share of taxes on "IT".

http://mediamatters.org/research/2011/0 … lin/180358

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Sandy has caused between $10 and $20 BILLION so far in ECONOMIC damage.
    Perhaps if we frame the catastrophe in terms Romney and his ilk can understand, they may just get it.
    roll

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

Here's a PDF of the quote.
    It's clear he is saying it's adding to the debt of future generations that is immoral.
    Apparently, however, funding two foreign wars and tax breaks for billionaires that also increase our debt, is not immoral.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7318926_f248.jpg

7. dalexander94 profile image60
    dalexander94posted 11 years ago

Exactly, where in our Constitution do the founders state it is FEMA's responsibility to take care of people after a disaster. While FEMA is a well intentioned program it is corrupt, ineffeicient, and at times unnecessary. After disasters such as Hurricane Sandy it is state and local governments on the ground who know where money needs to go. Furthermore recovery after such an incident is much better left to people who can fundraise and send in supplies in a much faster manner such as churches and the general public who have on occasion outraised their federal counterpart which lost millions upon millions in intended aid after Katrina and lets be honest New Orleans isn't much bettter off after the billions we have pumped in through the federal government. While FEMA is helpful it has been proven time and time again that states and local agencies are much quicker and more effective and responding to crises rather than the overregulated federal bureaucracy that is FEMA. Furthermore the entitlement mentality that exists in the United States cannot be sustained, government cannot subsidize the destructive forces of nature and while their should be state and local programs in place to help those in need let's remember that the private sector does exist and is much more competent and responding to such crises.

Really?
      Here's an overview of the number of disasters declared by year.
      Following that, a partial list that ONLY goes back a couple of months in 2012, showing which states. As you can see, some states (Washingon, Oklahoma) have multiple declared disasters. I started out planning to show ALL of 2012. However, there are simply toooooo many!!

However, as you can clearly see, when you have this many natural disasters, it's a NATIONAL issue, not a STATES issue.

http://www.fema.gov/disasters/grid/year

Disaster Declarations

Main Content

Total number of declared disasters: by State and by Year

State

- Any -AlabamaAlaskaAmerican SamoaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoCommonwealth of the Northern Mariana IslandsConnecticutDelawareDistrict of Columbia (DC)Federated States of MicronesiaFloridaGeorgiaGuamHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaPuerto RicoRepublic of the Marshall IslandsRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirgin IslandsVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

Disaster Type

- Any -Chemical/BiologicalCoastal StormDam/Levee BreakDroughtEarthquakeEmergency Planning and SecurityExtreme TemperaturesFireFloodFloodingHurricane/Tropical StormIndustry HardshipMudslide and LandslideRadiation LeakSevere StormSnow StormTechnologicalTerrorismTornadoTsunamiTyphoonVirus ThreatVolcanoWildfireWinter Storm

Declaration Type

- Any -Major Disaster DeclarationEmergency DeclarationFire Management Assistance DeclarationFire Suppression Authorization

Disasters per page 510204060

New Jersey Hurricane Sandy (DR-4086)

Incident period: Friday, October 26, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

New York Hurricane Sandy (DR-4085)

Incident period: Saturday, October 27, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Virginia Hurricane Sandy (EM-3359)

Emergency Declaration declared on Monday, October 29, 2012

West Virginia Hurricane Sandy (EM-3358)

Incident period: Monday, October 29, 2012

Delaware Hurricane Sandy (EM-3357)

Rhode Island Hurricane Sandy (EM-3355)

Pennsylvania Hurricane Sandy (EM-3356)

New Jersey Hurricane Sandy (EM-3354)

Emergency Declaration declared on Sunday, October 28, 2012

Connecticut Hurricane Sandy (EM-3353)

District of Columbia Hurricane Sandy (EM-3352)

Incident period: Sunday, October 28, 2012

Massachusetts Hurricane Sandy (EM-3350)

Incident period: Wednesday, October 27, 2010

New York Hurricane Sandy (EM-3351)

Maryland Hurricane Sandy (EM-3349)

Colorado Wetmore Fire (FM-5022)

Incident period: Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Florida Hurricane Isaac (DR-4084)

Incident period: Monday, August 27, 2012 to Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Washington Severe Storm, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding (DR-4083)

Incident period: Friday, July 20, 2012 to Friday, July 20, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

California Shockey Fire (FM-5021)

Incident period: Sunday, September 23, 2012 to Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Monday, September 24, 2012

Alabama Hurricane Isaac (DR-4082)

Incident period: Sunday, August 26, 2012 to Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Friday, September 21, 2012

Washington Table Mountain Fire (FM-5020)

Incident period: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Idaho Karney Fire (FM-5019)

Incident period: Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Washington Peavine Fire (FM-5018)

Incident period: Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Washington Poison Fire (FM-5017)

Incident period: Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Montana Sawtooth Fire (FM-5016)

Incident period: Monday, September 10, 2012 to Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Washington Byrd Canyon Fire (FM-5015)

Incident period: Monday, September 10, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Monday, September 10, 2012

Wyoming Sheep Herder Hill Fire (FM-5014)

Incident period: Sunday, September 9, 2012 to Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Sunday, September 9, 2012

Washington Barker Canyon Fire (FM-5013)

Incident period: Sunday, September 9, 2012

Washington 1st Canyon Fire (FM-5012)

Incident period: Sunday, September 9, 2012

Washington Highway 141 Fire Complex (FM-5011)

Incident period: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Thursday, September 6, 2012

South Dakota Wellnitz Fire (FM-5010)

Incident period: Friday, August 31, 2012 to Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Nebraska Region 23 Fire Complex (FM-5009)

Incident period: Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mississippi Hurricane Isaac (DR-4081)

Incident period: Sunday, August 26, 2012 to Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Louisiana Hurricane Isaac (DR-4080)

Incident period: Sunday, August 26, 2012 to Monday, September 10, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Montana Nineteen Mile Fire (FM-5008)

Incident period: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 to Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mississippi Tropical Storm Isaac (EM-3348)

Incident period: Sunday, August 26, 2012 to Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Emergency Declaration declared on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Louisiana Tropical Storm Isaac (EM-3347)

Incident period: Sunday, August 26, 2012 to Monday, September 10, 2012

Emergency Declaration declared on Monday, August 27, 2012

New Mexico Flooding (DR-4079)

Incident period: Friday, June 22, 2012 to Thursday, July 12, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Friday, August 24, 2012

Oklahoma Freedom and Noble Wildfires (DR-4078)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012 to Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ohio Severe Storms and Straight-line Winds (DR-4077)

Incident period: Friday, June 29, 2012 to Monday, July 2, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Monday, August 20, 2012

California Ponderosa Fire (FM-5007)

Incident period: Saturday, August 18, 2012 to Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Idaho Trinity Ridge Fire (FM-5006)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Washington Taylor Bridge Fire (FM-5005)

Incident period: Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

California Wye Fire (FM-5004)

Incident period: Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Monday, August 13, 2012

Oklahoma Drumright Fire (FM-5003)

Incident period: Saturday, August 4, 2012 to Friday, August 10, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Saturday, August 4, 2012

Oklahoma Glencoe Fire (FM-5002)

Incident period: Saturday, August 4, 2012 to Friday, August 10, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Saturday, August 4, 2012

Oklahoma Luther Fire (FM-5001)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012 to Friday, August 10, 2012

Fire Management Assistance Declaration declared on Friday, August 3, 2012

Oklahoma Freedom Fire (FM-5000)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012 to Sunday, August 12, 2012

Oklahoma Noble Fire (FM-2999)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012 to Sunday, August 12, 2012

Oklahoma Geary Fire (FM-2998)

Incident period: Friday, August 3, 2012 to Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wisconsin Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4076)

Incident period: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 to Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Thursday, August 2, 2012

Maryland Severe Storms and Straight-line Winds (DR-4075)

Incident period: Friday, June 29, 2012 to Sunday, July 8, 2012

Major Disaster Declaration declared on Thursday, August 2, 2012

1. LillyGrillzit profile image78
        LillyGrillzitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom, Mighty Mom, Mighty Mom! Go Girl!!!

But MM, that's mostly because any kind of weather, earth tremor, or anything else that causes more than $10 damage is immediately declared a disaster of unmentionable proportions and pleas for millions or billions of $$ from the public coffers promptly go out. 

Limit it to actual disasters, per state, that cannot be expected to happen every 50 years or so and the picture is far different.

You have the definition of a 50-year event wrong, wilderness. I think most of us believe it to be a once in 50 year occurrence.
          But it's not.
          I heard it on the news yesterday.
          A 50-year event is one that has a 1  in 50 chance of occurring within 1 year.
          So disasters on the magnitude requiring federal aid would basically be EXPECTED to occur in 1 state out of 50 in any given year.
          As you can clearly see, the rate of actual disasters is much greater than 1 state per year.
          smile

My intent was to indicate that weather that can be expected to happen to a particular location are not disasters, but normal, every day occurrences.  That Katrina will be repeated in just a few years is expected; it is not thus a true emergency but something that should be expected and prepared for each and every year..  That tornadoes rip through tornado alley in the central US is also expected and normal.

The current "weather" in NYC is a once in a lifetime and is a legitimate emergency.  It cannot reasonably be considered normal and prepared for on a daily basis.

1. Connie Smith profile image81
              Connie Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps not.  Whether the weather is changing due to global warming or natural cycles, this weather could be the start of a "norm."

Could be.  We'll have a pretty good handle on that one in a thousand years or so.

1. profile image0

Or you can just ignore Venus.  Yeah the greenhouse effect won't do anything at all...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb … usenv.html

Ah ha! Another victim of the Tea Party Syndrome!

Here is a list which may be used to diagnose how far from reality an individual is. Holding six or more of the beliefs qualifies you for membership in the Tea Party. Ten or more is an indication that you have lost nearly all touch with reality and are a candidate for in-patient psychiatric care.

1. Global warming is a hoax.

2. Not sure Obama was born in the U.S.

3. Obama is a secret Muslim.

4. Handgun control violates the Second Amendment.

5. Licensed gun owners should be able to "carry" at any public event, in public buildings, schools, etc.

6. "Drill baby drill" is the answer to energy issues.

7. Evolution is an unproved theory.

8. Creationism or "intelligent" design should be taught in public schools.

9. Affirmative action amounts to discrimination against whites.

10. Sharia law is spreading across the US.

11. Government is the enemy,

12. Free markets will solve nearly all problems.

13. The graduated income tax amounts to unfair or unconstitutional confiscation.

14. The Education Department, the EPA and other Executive Branch agencies should be eliminated.

15. Foreign aid is a waste of taxpayer's money and should be discontinued.

16. The right of workers to organize unions and bargain collectively with employers should be curtailed.

17. Capital punishment is necessary to deter crimes and provide justice to victims.

18. Law and order should be a higher priority; prison sentences should be longer and parole standards tightened.

19. Sex education in public schools should be confined to abstinence only.

20. Abortion is murder and should be illegal.

21. The "gay agenda" is a menace to American traditions and institutions.

22. All illegal immigrants should be deported.

23. Corporations should have all the same rights as people--except to be held criminally accountable.

24. Do you believe that all Tea Party candidates are prophets sent by God to save the world?

25. Social Security is a Ponzi scheme which should be "privatized."

26. Do you breath through your mouth all or most of the time?

"That Katrina will be repeated in just a few years is expected; it is not thus a true emergency but something that should be expected and prepared for each and every year."

Tell that to the people from New Orleans and Mississippi.

Oh, they already know.  They've had their homes and city rebuilt several times already. 

They just don't care as long as uncle Sam will provide new mobile homes for them every time it comes around.

My point, Ralph, is that people living in high risk areas need to be prepared themselves, not count on someone else to always foot the bill for what they know is going to happen every few years.

I don't disagree with that. People should use common sense and have a plan to deal with e.g., a tornado if they live in an area susceptible to tornados or a flood plan if they live in a flood plain. They shouldn't expect the government to take care of them in situations where they should be able to take care of themselves.

I hope you're under strong cover, Ralph - I always figured the skies would fall the day we agreed. smile

Yes, that's what I've been trying to say.  Add in that I don't understand why the govt will jump in to rebuild 10,000 homes from a flood but not one from a one house fire. Makes for good politicking, I guess.

I can see, a little, helping to rebuild roads and other infrastructure, but not individual homes or businesses for people too stupid or uncaring to buy insurance.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
                    rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But sometimes it's necessary how matter how prepared a homeowner is.  We pay a lot of $$ for homeowner's insurance and flood insurance, hurricane coverage.  But insurance doesn't cover everything and in disaster situations, it takes many resources to bring aid in a reasonable amount of time.
                    We should be very grateful for federal relief in disaster situations.  States don't have adequate resources to take care of a major disaster.

Not always, and certainly not everyone.  Even if everyone is completely prepared, the wrath of a storm cannot be tamed.

2. kathleenkat profile image84

Actually people who live in "hurricane zones" ARE prepared. If you notice, many homes built on or near beaches are built on stilts, because they expect there to be some hurricane (or tsunami) caused flooding. Similarly, levees are built also to block flooding. The people of New Orleans were prepared, with the levees, however, the levees broke. But you can't say they weren't prepared, because in all honesty, they were prepared to what they thought was the best of their abilities.

Similar to houses in Tornado Alley being built primarily of brick.

Similar to skyscrapers being built to resist earthquakes.

Similar to brick shingles being used in the desert, because they expect there to be blazing hot sun.

Similar to steep roofing angles in places which get a ton of snow; they expect snow, and don't want their roofs caving in.

True, to a point. 

The levees in La. broke primarily because they hadn't been maintained, and that's a problem when claiming "we're prepared".  Nor can any city built on land lower than sea level while next to the sea actually believe they are prepared.

Homes I've seen on beaches usually are built on stilts, but those a couple of blocks inland aren't and won't survive a hurricane in too many cases.

Mobile homes exist in all these areas; they are very obviously not suitable when you're expecting a hurricane or tornado.

And finally, if the homes are insured as they should be, why is Uncle Sam replacing them?  After the (storm, hurricane, earthquake, whatever) has passed that is the very next step in preparation.

1. kathleenkat profile image84

I would guess that because when a storm comes by and knocks out like 2392342098234 homes, the insurance companies simply do not have the funds to cover them. Insurance prices are kept low with the understanding that 1. not everyone will need to use it at once, and 2. not everyone will need to use it. If insurance was built in a way that everyone would be able to use it at the same time, then we would all be paying $300k (or whatever value our property is) towards insurance, to guarantee it would be replaced in the event of a disaster. At that point...why bother?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Similar to the NY subway system being built ... oh nevermind.

1. kathleenkat profile image84

NY doesn't get that many hurricanes.

But when they do... *insert meme here*

In all seriousness, though, it's very rare for NY to get such an intense hurricane, let alone this late in the season. Most hurricanes end up tropical depressions by the time they get that far north, and I am wary because I have not seen one this intense, this late in the season, that I can recall.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

But wait. There's a newer Romney quote and it is SPECIFICALLY about first responders. This is the quote that really matters. It's not about FEMA (federal). It's about first responders at all levels:
    Video followed by article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plu … _blog.html

Posted at 03:25 PM ET, 06/08/2012
    Jun 08, 2012 07:25 PM EDT

TheWashingtonPost
    Mitt Romney: We don’t need more cops, firefighters or teachers
    By Greg Sargent
    When Republicans attack public workers, they often take care to exempt cops and firefighters, because they are culturally sympathetic figures, and muddle the message that government workers are parasites who are destroying the economic conditions of ordinary Americans.

But today Mitt Romney got a good deal more specific, claiming  we do not need to hire more cops or firefighters specifically, which would, he said, cut against the interests of the American people. He also specifically named teachers.

Romney made the comments in response to Obama’s presser today, at which the president claimed the “private sector is doing fine.” Per CNN:

Romney said of Obama, “he wants another stimulus, he wants to hire more government workers. He says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? he American people did. It’s time for us to cut back on government and help the American people.”

It’s hard to argue that the message from Wisconsin was that Americans don’t think we should hire more firefighters and cops. They were exempted from Scott Walker’s crackdown on public employee bargaining rights, which enabled him to “divide and conquer” labor.

But beyond that, this could resonate in the presidential race: It will allow the White House to reframe the debate over public sector workers and job creation on more favorable terms.

One of the components of the American Jobs Act that Obama continues to demand that Republicans pass would invest $35 billion in federal funds to keep cops, firefighters, and teachers on the job. Republicans, Romney included, oppose this plan. Central to their argument against this type of investment is to keep the focus on public sector workers as a class, arguing that they are bilking the taxpayer and are to blame for the economic plight of struggling Americans.
    As Romney recently put it: “We have 145,000 more government workers under this president. Let’s send them home and put you back to work.”

At the same time, however, Romney takes care to show great sympathy with first responders. As Jonathan Chait has noted, Romney has spoken movingly of the financial plight of firefighters under Obama, even though they belong to the parasitic class that he is trying to scapegoat for the economic misery of other Americans. Since teachers are associated with the education of our children, Republicans generally refrain from attacking them directly and instead target teachers union bosses. And in his quest for the female vote, Romney has spoken sympathetically about women bearing the brunt of the Obama economy, even though many of them are teachers, and hence, public workers, too.

This time, however, Romney deserves points for honesty: He has forthrightly declared that the class of government workers holding back other Americans does include cops, firefighters and teachers. And in so doing, he has singlehandedly reframed the debate from one over despised government bureaucrats to one over whether we should hire more cops, firefighters and teachers to get the economy going. This is a debate the White House will be happy to have.

He's clueless and ruthless.

He's out in Ohio today having a photo opp at some disaster relief staging site.
        He doesn't even know where the relief packages are going... "We're going to pack them up and ship them off to... I think, New Jersey."
        It's PATHETIC.
        He looks like "old Mitt" meaning the clueless, really uncomfortable in public Mitt of a few weeks ago on the campaign trail.
        The swagger and cockiness we've seen since the debates is missing today.

Not for anything, but if this is not politically motivated, why is he having this event in OHIO?

New Jersey's gotten the worst of it (New Yorkers might beg to differ, given the MTA is flooded, power is out from the base of Manhatten up to 39th Street and Staten Island has houses with water up to the attics -- among other effects).

Maybe Mitt should give his friend Chris Christie a call and see how he might be able to repay him for being his RNC keynote speaker?
        Something tells me -- just by what I've heard Christie say over the past 48 hours -- he'd say "Thanks, but this isn't amateur hour. This is real sh$t."

1. profile image0

I think he just might want to stay out of Christie's way! Christie is now living in the real world.

Christie is doing a helluva job.
            Democrat governors and mayors
            Republican governors and mayors
            And NYC's Independent mayor
            All doing what's necessary to lead with strength and compassion -- not partisanship.

I should also say that this is not solely a government (federal, state, county or local)  response situation.An email I received emphasized what we can do individually:

1.  Relief organizations like the American Red Cross are on the ground right now in the communities affected by the storm, and making a financial contribution to those efforts is the most effective way to help those in need.So, if you'd like to help, please give to the American Red Cross right now.

And ALSO government coordination of first responders:

2. This is a serious storm, but we are going to do what it takes to keep people safe and secure, and make sure the communities affected get the assistance they need. FEMA is working with state and local governments to respond effectively. We all owe a debt of thanks to the first responders who will be dealing with the immediate impact of the storm.

If you live in the storm's path, please listen to state and local authorities about where and how to take shelter and stay safe -- and encourage your friends and family to do the same. If you are asked to evacuate, please take that seriously.

For more information on how to prepare for this storm, visit Ready.gov.

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
              Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christie also said that "the president and FEMA did a terrific job on providing assistance and cutting the red tape" and he went on to thank Obama for it.

2. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MM

No.

Saying that someone spearheading relief efforts is pathetic...

No. Criticizing it is pathetic. You don't think people will be happy to get help?

You would criticize Romney if he was doing this, but didn't allow cameras in(because, you know, that way it wouldn't be a photo op) for being secretive.

You would criticize him if he weren't doing anything.

You would criticize him if he were holding a normal campaign event instead.

And, he would likely be criticized for trying to buy votes if he donated his own money.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

WashPo quote of the day:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie praising President Obama's response to Hurricane Sandy:

"The federal government's response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area ... The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA."

Counting to 5 for the inevitable "Christie's another RINO, just like McCain" comments.
    Yeah. He was a real RINO when he delivered the keynote speech at the RNC this summer, wasn't he?
    lol lol lol

10. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Here we go again, is this the best your side can do to campaign? Always trying to negatively frame what you want your voters to hear about the opponent rather than promote your own record.

Romney simply said States were better prepared, knowledgeable and equipped to handle emergencies than the Federal government. A point proven by the President’s order today verbally instructing Federal bureaucracies to get out of the way and streamline assistance to the states. In point the President is indeed doing exactly what Romney said to do.

I must say it is nice to see the President actually doing the job he was elected to do, finally. A Four year Presidency consisting of 3 years and 51 weeks of campaigning for re-eletion and two possibly three days of the peoples, work.

1. profile image0
      scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right. So a state like Delaware - population 907 thousand, gross state product $62 billion - is equally equipped to handle emergencies as New York, with 16 million people and a $1 trillion GSP, correct?

Well, it's a good thing natural disasters only hit large states.

1. profile image0

I wish Romney would explain that one...

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what BOH did on this one. But it needs to be noted that he passed the buck.

11. Connie Smith profile image81
    Connie Smithposted 11 years ago

Actually, as a now former homeowner in Florida and also a Realtor, I have long thought that we are crazy to give our money to outsiders for hurricane protection.  We have a government program called Citizens, which is "insurance of the last resort."  What that means is that, after Hurricane Andrew, a LOT of insurance companies who insured homes in Florida pulled out and wouldn't insure homes anymore (yet they were still allowed to insure cars, etc. -- which I DID NOT agree with).  The ones that stayed were constantly asking for higher premiums.  My insurance went up from $702 in 1996 to over $3200 in 2006.  Most of it was because I had an insurance company that I was paying $1800 a year with and they went under (for a period of time...).  No one would insure us for less than $3200 even though in all those years, there was never any hurricane damage anywhere around us. 

If, instead of trying to find private insurers all the time to buy the policies, the state of Florida would take the money in from homes, businesses and renters, and go into the biz permanently, we would be keeping the money in the state.  Had we done that for the last ten or fifteen years, we would be flush with money since there has not been a major castastrophe and we would be doing what Romney wants:  taking care of our own, instead of all those billions leaving the state to pump up the profits for outside investors...like Romney.   Oops...the only problem with that is Romney doesn't want the STATE to profit from it, he wants to be able to come in and take the profits by PRIVATIZING the whole thing, making himself and other investors rich at the expense of devastated Floridians.  It really isn't working all that well for the good citizens of Florida and I doubt it is going to work elsewhere.

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

In dire emergencies such as this, the use of federal funds is legitimate. The federal government should be counted on to protect and help the citizens in times like this. And I am a conservative... ( and Yeah, Romney should know better! )
    The question is ... are the funds used up?

13. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Apparently you have all missed the point. The States and thereby the Governors should be in control of disaster responses. NO ONE said there should not be a federal repository of funds and/or recovery and cleanup services, but that repository should be a resource Governors draw upon, not an agency the States need to apply to for aid. Aid that could be approved or denied at the whim of a Federal Bureaucracy, hence the advisory by the President to this Bureaucracy to get out of the way and be subservient to the needs of the states.

1. Josak profile image59

AHHA seriously?

Think about that for a minute a repository of funds that the person who takes the funds decides when and how much they should take.... How long would that last? It's a ridiculous idea. The group/person who owns the funds should always control them as they have an investment in being responsible, otherwise the people taking will simply loot the funds dry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)