jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think Sandy will affect the upcoming presidential election?

1. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

Hopefully this discussion won't get too nasty, but let's try to be civil. My view is the hurricane may favor Obama for a couple of simple reasons. First, he gets to look presidential, which never hurts. I think you can see the advantage for Obama by how Governor Christie of New Jersey has been reacting. Second, Romney is not a supporter of FEMA. His basic politics dictates that federal agencies such as FEMA should largely be dismantled and their money distributed to the states who would then form their own agencies to deal with disasters. I believe he has even advocated for such a thing. Whether this is right or wrong, it would seem to provide valuable political fodder.

1. GNelson profile image84
      GNelsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It will be good for Obama.  It will force Romney to change his position on another issue, FEMA, and show him for the etch-a-sketch that he is.

2. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 3 years ago

i think your right crank".... the turn of events weather wise i believe will favor Obama in the short run re; this election cycle,.... but long run,... i think the events of the last few days benifit mr Christy far more than anyone else in the picture.

Chris Christy has to run for re-election in a heavily democratic state next year,... paying due respect to the very responsive POTUS is firstly and formostly the right thing to do if your doing your job as governor,... but its also very good for you politicaly next year if you want to remain governor,.....

more over i think he has all but thrown Romney under the buss on this,.... his response to the fox news host was classic Christy,.... and a highlighter of Romneys irrelevance at this moment.

also, praising FEMA is effectivley praising a former Jeb Bush man,.... always good to associate yourself with republicans that people still like and respect.

look out for Mr Christy in 2016

3. Smokes Angel profile image78
    Smokes Angelposted 3 years ago

I think this will make Obama look good as he visits the Eastern Coast...

4. DDE profile image68
    DDEposted 3 years ago

Well right now the current President is getting all the attention so it shouldn't have that big of a disruption