jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

The Downside of Sanctions

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/03/world … odayspaper

Terrible!  We musn't ever forget the humanity behind the people who are living in countries with governments that are hostile to the United States.  It's odd this aspect of the sanctions was never mentioned in the presidential debates.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image87
      tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's amazing the pain governments are willing to inflict on their people to gain power.

1. 0
        Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I used to be okay with sanctions on rogue countries; now, I'm rethinking my position. 

I like the humanitarian exceptions, but i'm not sure if it's enough, and I don't like driving people into poverty due to political quibbles.

2. 61
        atheistchickposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Exceptions? whatever do you mean?
        There is always humanitarian principles for every human being. No exceptions. Our duty as DECENT human beings is to be civil and humane to all other decent human beings.  No exceptions

1. 0

Humanitarian exceptions to the sanctions are supposed to apply to goods like medicine.  It seems like this principle isn't may not be being upheld with Iran.

2. innersmiff profile image79
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

Think before you sanction! With every governmental intervention, remember 'The Law of Unintended Consequences'.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Forget sanctions.
    Invade instead!

(Kidding. Didn't seem to warrant an lol but is intended as sarcasm nonetheless).

1. 0

On the bright side, the Democrat who I am going to be voting for in Oklahoma's 5th Congressional District opposes war with Iran.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know they had Democrats in Oklahoma!
        tongue

1. 0

He probably won't win sad.

James Lankford is a right-wing nut.  http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/1 … fired-gay/

It's hard to say exactly if he was claiming gay people should be able to be fired for being gay.  He makes a distinction between skin color and behavior, so he appears to be hedging.  It's disgusting enough though, without him openly declaring employers should have the right to fire someone for being gay.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
            Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ugh.

4. 61
    atheistchickposted 4 years ago

It's so stupid that only the person with the most money can win (usually)   We have forgotten our ethics and sense of humanity.......wonder what Romney will do with his political campaign that's worth millions of dollars.....hmm, probably pay a huge chunk to tithing and use the rest to fan himself on his millions of dollars mansion.................oh wait, he'll be making illegal aliens do the fanning since he cant move his lazy ass

1. 0

Have you ever heard of atheism +?

working