jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Predictions: Last SNL before the election

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Tonight is the final Saturday Night Live before Tuesday's election.
    Ladies and gentlemen: Lay your bets.
    Will any of the candidates or their wives or anyone associated with their campaigns be on the show?

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I never watch it anymore, but I see clips sometimes on other sites. Remember back when SNL was awesome - with Belushi, Ackroyd, Radner, and Chase? Man, I used to LOVE the show!

BTW, I'm not really a betting person. If I were, I'd place money on Obama on Intrade. Wait...they have him WAY ahead, so I wouldn't gain anything, would I? How does that work?

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Was SNL really funnier back then? Or was it that we were younger and our taste was less developed?
        Not to mention... perhaps ... the viewing experience was herbally enhanced?
        lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
          Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was the cast. They had the perfect cast in the 70s.

1. habee profile image90
            habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree, UW, but MM might have a point, too. I was often "herbally enhanced" at the time. lol. Still, the 70s cast was super talented. My pals and I still use many of the lines made famous by Belushi and company, and we all "get" the allusions.

2. KT Banks profile image60
      KT Banksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I watched the first half of the show last night. It was pretty funny. It did make me wonder, how much do shows like SNL, The Colbert Report, and John Stewart, have to do with younger peoples vote? If they are as influential as I think they are, then Obama would win. I guess we'll see soon enough.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

One thing they don't seem to do hardly at all anymore is have ongoing characters/skits. That was a hallmark of the early SNL shows.
    Probably a sign o' the times (?)

But between mid 1970s and now there have been and still are some very funny comedians on SNL over the years.
    I miss Kristen Wiig  quite possibly the funniest woman alive!
    But there's a new woman that was in a couple of great skits last night (as an Australian film star, as a "last call" barfly picking up the only man still in the bar).
    Kenan  Thompson doesn't have to say a word -- just open his eyes wide.
    Jason Sudekis is really funny. Perfect pitch Romney.
    Bill Heder is probably the most versatile and funniest one. Love his Julian Asange.

working