Post Election Politics - Are You Kidding Me?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. LucidDreams profile image64
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

I will first start by mentioning that I am not a democrat nor a republican. I use common sense to determine my vote based on current economy and world affairs. What I have witnessed since the presidential election should not surprise me!

Just for kicks I have been following the news channels which certainly have a political preference. Fox news is heavy to the right and pro conservatism (republican) while msnbc is the complete opposite and favors the democratic party to no end! I also have paid close attention to CNN and they seem to be in the middle, for the most part. Some may disagree with this point as most Republicans tend to think that all media is pro democratic.

Here is the shocking part! There are two very different patterns I noticed. Watching msnbc, they obviously are very proud their guy one. They speak of how to work with republicans in office to get things done with the occasional poke, but the main theme seems to be about what can be done to help the American people. I watch Fox news and in particular " The No Spin Zone" and get something very different, in fact a little disconcerting.

Watching Fox, and I do this (to have a opinion which is based on listening to both media outlets) made me feel like....well, it seems they spend most of the time talking about their party, and how they could have won but didn't.  The biggest problem was, I never once heard them mention what the people want, they just go on to blame each other about who is far right and being in the middle as a moderate is bad for policy and so on. Do they get it? It's not about a political party man, it's about the American people! If they don't learn, what's next?

What do you think?

1. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, none if this is new information. Fox News is owned and run by moneyed special interests, their information heavily distorted. They capitalise on fear, bigotry and ignorance, and there's obviously a huge market for it. You could go a step further, too, and say the other side isn't much better, and that putting the left and right at constant odds is just how the plutocrats who control everything keep everyone else out of their hair.

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
        Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is a plutocrat?  I've never heard of them before.

1. profile image0
          DMartelonlineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rather fascinating definition from free dictionary:

plu·toc·ra·cy  (pl-tkr-s)
          n. pl. plu·toc·ra·cies
          1. Government by the wealthy.
          2. A wealthy class that controls a government.
          3. A government or state in which the wealthy rule.

2. profile image0

You might want to consider reading a book that was written by David Frum (who is a Republican pundit of sorts) that is available for just a few dollars on Amazon. It's "How Romney Lost" and I think that it really pulls back the veil on Fox which is very sad for many reasons.

Anytime a media outlet is "too biased" we lose - all of us lose.

The book is only $3.99 and it's well worth the "short read"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3E … k_ro_title

If I've violated policies by posting this link I'm sorry - it's not an affiliate link or anything wink

3. tammybarnette profile image60
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

FOX is a strong wealthy propaganda machine; they are puzzled because that systamatic bullying no longer represents the population of our beautifully diverse culture...

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You see a beautifully diverse culture.
        Fox & Co. see a bunch of "problem" populations which they can no longer ignore and now must figure out how to manipulate into voting against their self-interests.
        Oh. And they think we're all stoopid, too.
        lol

2. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

The only completely safe way to consume the mainstream media is to disbelieve everything with extreme prejudice.

These 'news' outlets are less 'news' and more the corporate-government's public perception service. If it's not ignoring critical pieces of information that change the whole debate it's downright lying to the populace. Fox maybe stupider (though I quite enjoy John Stossel), I put them all in the same bucket: MSNBC, CNN, ABC, HuffPost, NYTimes, NYPost, BBC, Sky. They're all owned by the same corporate interests.

1. profile image0

Therein lies the problem. We naturally seek out outlets that are already "slanted" to our own core beliefs. Unfortunately, too many people are too lazy (or simply don't care enough) to get news from a variety of sources and do their own legwork to determine *what* the real truth is.   This is unfortunate in many respects and unfortunately contributes to the "dumbing down" of our political process.

1. LucidDreams profile image64
        LucidDreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly why I choose to use several news outlets and form my own opinion.

3. profile image52
    txbk40posted 11 years ago

Thank you!  I plan to get that book. Should be interesting.

4. LucidDreams profile image64
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

I don't give much credence to mainstream media anyway. Just wanted to know others opinions. In the end, Obama won the election and congress needs to work with him to solve problems, party aside!

5. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I think it's fair to equate Romney's loss with a painful and unexpected loss of a loved one. The GOP collectively must process their grief. Some are taking it harder than others. Getting from denial to acceptance is going to take a lot of time and work.

Meanwhile, I agree with you on post-mortems of the win/loss.
    Here's one I just stumbled upon. I have only excerpted the really over-the-top comments from Mr. Grover Norquist.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 … lp00000009

... the founder and president of Americans For Tax Reform told Newsmax he believes Obama is unfriendly to Republicans who want to work to maintain the current tax rates for top income-earners.

“Obama has gotten to be old and he has grey hair and he has never sat down and civilly talked to people who don’t agree with him in his life,” he said. "He is not used to being in the room with people who don’t say ‘Yes sir, I agree with you on everything.’ It’s not easy for him even if he wants to do it.”

Norquist argued about the election's significance on Monday morning, saying that Republican losses last week did not reflect support for Obama's campaign principle of allowing taxes on top income-earners to be raised.
    Instead, Norquist said, the president had secured reelection purely on personal attacks against GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

"The president was committed; elected on the basis that he was not Romney and Romney was a poopy head and you should vote against Romney and he won by two points," Norquist said on CBS' "This Morning" Monday. "But he didn't make the case that we should have higher taxes and higher spending, he kind of sounded like the opposite."

It's also really smart to insult people into voting for you.
    I've already accepted my place in the 47%.
    Guess my new mantle is "Proud product of America's public school system."
    roll
    In his interview with Newsmax, Norquist said Republicans had lost the presidential election instead because they'd failed to reach out minorities, who were shown to have voted for Obama in large numbers.[b]He included in his comments an offhand suggestion that individuals who attended public schools don't actually "understand America."

6. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

When McCain's daughter, can't remember her name, was on Anderson the day after the election and she could barely speak and looked like she could burst into tears at any moment.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Meghan McCain.
      She must have recovered her composure by the time she appeared on whatever show I saw her on. Probably also CNN or it could have been MSNBC.
      She was quite composed and really quite impressive in what she said.
      Which essentially was the GOP needs to evolve on the social issues if they want to be taken seriously.
      Actually, that's nothing the rest of us haven't been saying for .... months!
      smile

7. profile image52
    txbk40posted 11 years ago

I agree with your assessment of Fox n Co. And apparently in my Texas town there a lot of stoopid (ha) people including many in my own family. What were they thinking????? I will never understand it. Still baffling.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)