The Washington and Colorado Marijuana Laws

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

I have heard a lot of people for and against it. Why are you for, why are you against? Are there any unaddressed issues?
    Personally, I don't partake, but I do believe it should be legalized. There are so many medicinal benefits from it, and having a medical card is expensive. Though the law says that if you have a medical card, you are still able to grow your own marijuana without the license one would need to get otherwise.
    One thing that I think is interesting, is that the law goes into effect on December 6, 2012. However, the Washington State Liquor Control Board has until December 1, 2013 to figure out all the details of the law, what one has to do in order to be eligible to obtain a license, what amount a person with a license can have, what the standard will be for marijuana quality and so on - to go into effect as of December 6, 2013. Basically, no licenses to sell, process or produce marijuana will be issued until December of next year, but as of the 6th, a person can have up to an ounce of marijuana bud on them, though it is still illegal to sell, grow, buy or process marijuana. Does that then mean that it is the same as dispensaries? Those who have it can donate to another? I believe the way it is done with dispensaries is they get donated product(s), and then they compensate for the effort, but not the product. I could be wrong.
    It's all very interesting to me!

2. kathleenkat profile image91
    kathleenkatposted 3 years ago

Where to start....

Washington resident here.

Why Pot Smokers are against it:
    -It creates a new DUI requirement to include THC; not useage, just present in your system. Note that it stays in your system for a couple days after use. They don't like that merely having smoked it in the past 2 days means they could be cited for a DUI after being pulled over for something menial, like not using their turn signal. The officer has the right to test you.

Why non-pot smokers are against it:
    There are better ways, they think, to make money off of taxes (slot machines comes to mind). They also don't see why people just can't *not* smoke.

Why pot smokers are for it:
    Kind of obvious; so they can smoke without getting a criminal record for what they consider to be a harmless crime.

Why non-pot smokers are for it
    The tax revenue from regulating marijuana is subtstancial, and is projected to take the state out of deficit. It's also projected to create many jobs in the medical and rehabilitation fields.

Where do I stand? Well, the second one. Hope I gave you some WA-insight into the four facets of this issue.