jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)

Democrats Won.........Can we work on getting the country straight?

1. LucidDreams profile image81
    LucidDreamsposted 3 years ago

I keep hearing the pro-republican news outlets like fox etc. talking about news that does not matter at this point. Since they had such a stanglehold on the candidate, I mean, they seem to work together as far as politics go. is this what America can expect now that the election is over?

I see Republicans such as John Mccain saying that they will block any new secreatry of state nominee until they have the information needed to make a decision. What? You mean after all of these years, you still have to have more to make a qualified decision? Obviously the republicans consider him as a qualified representative as he is on most of the news media representing the party.

How embarrassing is that? He hasn't got it right for years now and still they let him represent! Just scary what the majority of the Republican party is now. It's good to have two different party's to make decisons for the USA, thank god that we as the people, voted against the far right and decided that the majority still rules!

Please Republicans, we need you to be a responsible party, one that acts with the total interest of the United States in mind. This is not the old world with slavery and southerners with plantations. People have rights and they will be heard. Having the majority of the white male vote will not cut it anymore, wake up!!  What we decided we don't want is:

1  Tax relief for the rich....There is plenty of loopholes already being exploited which don't help the American middle-class, do you get that?

2  Nobody wants the government to tell women that birth control and such is a freebie and that it should be dis-continued because "God controls this"

3 Veterans of wars do not like being referred to as free loaders because they receive subsidies,(hey Mitt, why don't you go out and fight for the country) you sure have no problem sending others to die in our countries name!

As far as diplomacy over seas goes, I am so happy the Barack Obama won the elction becuase obviously with a republican controlling the presidency, we would be attacking another country we have NO BUSINESS being involved with. I know, those who love republican policy will say. yeah but look how week we appear to foreign countires. Who cares, take care of business at home and let them do waht they need to do. How has being there helped?????? It has'nt, not one thing in the past ten years has improved!

Anyone here care about spending money on our borders and protection for our country? Ok then, put the money where it needs to be and let the middle east, which has been fighting for thousands of years figure it out! What you think we can make a difference? Did you not hear me......thousands of years, get it?

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I hope I'm wrong, but what I get from your post is that you believe that because 52% of the people voted democratic in the presidential election it means the democrats have all the right answers, that what others believe or want doesn't matter, and that democrats are always willing to do what is right for the country.  (What a sentence!)

If so, you are sadly mistaken, and are part of the reason this country is polarized almost to the point of total inability to govern itself.

1. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 3 years ago in reply to this

A group of people are tied together. A runaway truck is heading straight towards them. They know they have to move to avert disaster, but can't agree which direction. Some want to go left, some right. They take a quick vote. The majority want to go left. Those who want to go right have a choice. Continue pushing their own preference, effectively stopping everyone from moving (certain disaster) or respect the majority vote, cooperate to get things moving, then try to persuade the majority to change direction once the danger has passed.

Which choice is most beneficial to the whole group and why?

1. Barefootfae profile image61
          Barefootfaeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In other words if I am a Conservative.....shut up.

2. wilderness profile image97

When those poor people look to the left and find an enormous cliff the majority are trying to get them to run off of, there is a good reason to resist.  Left lies certain death, staying is probably death and right is probably success.  Why run left?

I think Barefootfae is correct; the attitude is that the right needs to just shut up and die with the rest.

That's been the message since the 6th of the month. We won now shut up.
            Oh by the way we will tell you to shut up but you need to work with us.
            Interesting take they have on tact.

1. 60
              retief2000posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I personally think that the Republicans should let the Democrats run the show and retire from the field, entirely.  Cede the field of battle to the liberals.  Let them run the whole show and when the entire nation faces the fiscal and cultural disasters now facing California, Illinois and the EU.  If one is conservative, it must be obvious that the culture is lost and work no longer has a real value - beyond generating funds for liberals to redistribute.  If one is liberal, it must be obvious that America has changed in their direction and it is their time.  Unlike the "American Century"  the "Liberal Century" can only be financed, without massive inflation and debt, for about a decade.

Let it be, a people get the government they deserve.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

The Republican reaction to Obama's win has been, in a word, awkward and outrageous.
    John McCain is off the wall. But he is not representing the party. He is representing himself.
    As can (and do) any one of them. It's a free-for-all on the talk shows. Whoever has a bee in his bonnet (yes, it does seem to only be the "hims" hogging the microphone) can go on and pontificate about anything they want.
    And each one sounds more ridiculous than the last.
    Jockeying for the title of King Baby.

Meanwhile, the adults in the room are kicking butt and taking names.
    How weak did the US look when Obama went to Southeast Asia? As the first sitting president IN HISTORY to visit Myanmar?
    And his current SOS jetting off to help broker a cease fire between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip?

You make a lot of other great points, too. But this is the one that jumped to top of my mind.

3. LucidDreams profile image81

I am certainly not saying that democrats have all the answers, or represent what the totality of what American thinks. I am only stating that even after the election has closed, I see Republicans rallying to defend the same positions which existed pre-election. The vote has clearly defined that the average American person wants change, the polls show that

Americans want money spent in our country to fix our problems and not abroad for another war

Women enjoy the right to make decisions regarding their body and would be opposed to government intervention like forced pregnancies based on a "non rape status"

Higher taxes for the rich........those who make a million dollars or more each year. The loopholes and tax havens have hurt this country and benefitted the wealthy. It's time to play fair. If you want to keep your money in a different country for tax purposes. then maybe you should become a registrant using this country as your home . People who work at Walmart making $9.00 per hour pay taxes, why should'nt you?

And the last is, this is AMERICA, land of the free! Instead of trying to find a way to keep the less fortunate from voting, would'nt you want to finds ways to work with them? Did you notice that nothing has changed in this regard?I mean, their still here, what would you do, just get rid of them all together. That's the point.......Republicans have lost their way. Instead of being a check and balance party. they want to rule the world with ideas from the 1950's. I sincerely hope that better minds prevail. Yes, the democartic party is far from perfect....(That's for sure)  it atleast embraces what this new world is all about.

Do not the democrats continue to defend their positions after a loss?
      Is this not normal?

LucidDreamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

True and good point!

2. wilderness profile image97

Well, see, I disagree with a great deal of that.  A 2% difference in the vote has nothing to do with what the "average" American wants, and anyone that thinks differently needs to have a little better understanding of mathematics.

Nor does the average republican want women to have no control over their bodies; that is the current rallying cry from the abortion group, a sensationalized claim without basis in reality.  It's how politics works.

Yes, Americans certainly want money spent in their country and do not want another war.  That is universal, including the vast majority of republicans.  The difference, as I see it, is that the Dems don't care that there is no money to spend and exhibit little to no fiscal responsibility.  The republicans insist that a persons earnings belong to the earner, not to the voters, and go overboard in pushing that belief. 

Neither party, in short, has a clue about what the country wants or needs, and they don't care, either.  They care about getting re-elected and will push whatever silly, self-serving agenda that they think will buy the votes they need.

LucidDreamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

2. A Thousand Words profile image79
        A Thousand Wordsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Makes a lot of sense, wilderness. I do think the focus lies too much on the two parties and not enough on how we can actually make things better in this country. But people need to have something they can identify with. While I'm not a die-hard democrat, on the more publicized and progressive issues, I agree with, like allowing (as if we should have to "allow") GLTB people to marry whatever sex they want, pro-choice (though I'm not pro-abortion, people don't seem to knwo the difference), etc.

I honestly think a lot of it comes from ignorance. If more people actually understood how the economy and everything really works, we wouldn't have to be fed BS from either side. I see a serious failure in actuaour education system. We don't learn enough about the things that actually matter to really maintain this country properly.

3. Quilligrapher profile image88
        Quilligrapherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hello there, wilderness.

Much of your broader comments made sense to me until I reached the statement above regarding “average” Republicans and abortion.

“The current rallying cry from the abortion group,” you say is “a sensationalized claim without basis in reality” and that it does not apply to the “average” Republican. Well, a CBSNews Poll in August 2012 determined 68-% of Republicans polled thought abortions “should be restricted (a) to cases of rape, incest, and to save the woman’s life or (b) not permitted at all.” In contrast, only 30-% of Republicans thought they should be permitted in all cases or permitted with greater restrictions. {1}

Can you help me out, wilderness? I am a tad confused. The poll suggests more than two-thirds of the sampled Republicans do not want women to have control over their bodies and only one-third does. So which of these two groups did you say represent the “average” Republicans?
        {1} http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-575 … pageNum=2, pages 6-7

4. LucidDreams profile image81

Mighty Mom

I agree...... I also am not stating that I think one party is better then the other. What I am saying is that , Clearly the Republicans have no real idea on what the country needs or wants. You could argue that the majority of male whites and even the majority of rural counties voted for Mitt. Why is this? Uneducated, maybe rich enough where the policies make sense, either way. the general public does not agree with the Republicans crazy FAR RIGHT agenda. I would be willing to bet, most Americans are willing to compromise, even if they agree with the Republicans ideals. Being American is not party affiliated!!!!! WQe want what is best for this country and spending billions of dollars on foreign wars is the exact opposite of what make sense when we are bankrupt at home. Hopfully, the Dems and Republicans can figure out a way to take care of the American people withoiut getting politics in the way. I thought we chose a president!!!!! C'mon Republicans grow up and get on board so we can figure out these problems.

5. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 3 years ago

I always said that McCain, and many like him, should of been retired and dead a long time ago. Republicans are partying like it's 1958 and fail to realize that Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower are not their people anymore. Their people now consists of clowns like Michelle "batsh*t" Bachmann, Palin and "crybaby" Boehner. As for the far right and what's left of the Tea Baggers, they think this is the late 18th century. They don't get it! We have the red headed step-child states like Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama that have state laws that are totally unconstitutional and teach creationism in public schools! These and other Bible belt states totally suck in education and human services but they think they're at the top of the world. The idiot congress people that come from these old slave states are showing up to Washington with their stupid, Biblical BS mindsets filled with that's dragging the rest of the country downhill. If they want to secede and form their own third world church/state, let them go and relive the Bronze Age. This is one of the reasons why Dems and Republicans don't play nice together.

Always good to hear from an "enlightened" one.

6. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 3 years ago

Aaaaahhh!  Another political thread....how refreshing.  Full of love for our fellow man, both Republican and Democrat. 

7. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

Agree with you that too much in either direction is bad.  However, "little to no fiscal responsibility" is certainly not the sole perview of Democrats. I know that is the popular mantra of some.
    But reality shows otherwise.
    It was actually the Republicans under Bush who ran up the tab on two unfunded wars at the same time as granting tax breaks. And a Medicare drugs deal to boot.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

Maybe it'll work if the Congress is reminded that many of them will be up for reelection in 2 years.