jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

What is your take on growing food, not lawns?

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

There are some places which prohibit growing a vegetable patch instead of growing a front lawn. What do you think about this?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

$$$$ and more $$$$.

What will a corn patch on the front lawn next to your home do to it's value?

1. 0
        Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Greed.  Did you know that in some places a child can't have a lemonade stand; it's because they need a peddlars permit.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, although that is a different issue.  Still about as silly as it can get, though.

2. seanorjohn profile image81
    seanorjohnposted 3 years ago

I grew french beans and potatoes in my front garden for the first time this year. Apparently, in a North England Town the citizens plant veg in public places and anyone can help themselves to free food. Brillliant idea.

ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Very! In the book the Fifth Sacred Thing, they take over San Francisco and dig up the roads and redirect rivers to flow down them, and plant fruit bearing trees and veg all along the streets so that every one can do just that. It's a great utopic/disutopic book

3. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

I think we should question a value system that favors using land for over-fertilized, chemically weed-free grass over growing healthy food.

ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I fully concur

4. Gearhead-Dave profile image58
    Gearhead-Daveposted 3 years ago

What could go wrong and how ugly can it get? smile

5. eternals3ptember profile image62
    eternals3ptemberposted 3 years ago

My grandmother's neighbor grew raspberries, and honestly, it was the prettiest yard on the block.

1. Gearhead-Dave profile image58
      Gearhead-Daveposted 3 years ago in reply to this

there you go ,I would definitely grow raspberries and strawberries even capsicums. smile

6. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

The aspect I object to is the concept that someone else would have control over what I do on my property! As long as it does not constitute a major nuisance or hazard to others, I am free to do whatever I want in my house and garden. I would not dream of buying a property that had such strings attached.

I suppose it's different if you are talking about rented property, where the landlord is the one who decides what is permitted.

That is why my first priority was always to get to a position where I own my house and NOBODY can tell me what I can or cannot do in it.

As for public spaces, I think communal beds with fruit and vegetables are a great idea. In Cuba, residents of high-rise block in Havana cultivate the land around their buildings and share out the harvests among themselves.

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
    mistyhorizon2003posted 3 years ago

I obviously can't post a link to my own hub here, but there are a couple of villages in the UK that have started growing vegetables in all sorts of public places, e.g. flower beds, graveyards, containers by bus stops etc. The vegetable plants are grown and donated by locals, and the fully grown veg are free to anyone to pick and take home.  I hubbed on the villages because I found the concept fascinating, and felt that not only did it bring the community closer together, but it was a fabulous way to provide free food for all. (Todmorden and Huddersfield are the two villages).

8. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

I grow my own fruit and vegetables on a plot of land that I rent. In the UK we call these areas for growing fruit and vegetables allotments. I had written hubs about it but unpublished them and moved them elsewhere. If I were going to grow vegetables in my front garden I would probably have a potager-style garden as they can look neat and attractive. You can even combine the fruit and vegetables with growing herbs and flowering plants.

An unkempt vegetable patch in a front garden may not be an ideal situation, so a certain amount of skillful planning and upkeep is needed.

9. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

I am currently in the process of banning all grass on my property. I have the front almost completely cleared of grass. I plan to plant spinach, cabbage, onions, green peppers, etc., mixed with various edible flowers next year. In my town, people don't seem to mind.

10. safiq ali patel profile image71
    safiq ali patelposted 3 years ago

If we all grew food in our gardens perhaps world food prices would come down from the extra supply of food that comes from out gardens. Good forum question.