Voter testing, should Americans be tested on their knowledge?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Josak profile image59
    Josakposted 11 years ago

Winston Churchill said "the greatest argument against democracy is a short conversation with the average voter." Should voters be tested on their knowledge of issues before being allowed to vote and be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the facts involved?
    I am not proposing it simply gauging reaction by the way, give your reasons.

1. Sapper profile image63
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Normally I would say yes, but if we did that there would be about 6 people voting.

Although I'd love the idea of someone being told "you're too stupid, go home" with how corrupt the political system already is, that would be fairly close to impossible to implement.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not. That would be to exclude those who have not had the benefit of education, are their concerns less valid than those who are educated?. And, who decides what is fact? A few years in academia teaches most of us that there are only perspectives and theories, the debates rage amongst the educated, too. To suggest such a thing will take us all back to days of international suffrage. In retrospect, I'm not surprised that the likes of Churchill made such a comment.

2. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

I think it's not a good idea. However, I wish some politicians in the Philippines would be required to take a test before they could run for office. Honest.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I have mixed feelings on this question. I sometimes wonder if only those who pay federal income taxes should be allowed to vote in national elections. I suppose, though, that would be "un-democratic."

4. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

I think democracy is in crisis anyway. There is a debate taking place in the United Kingdom at the moment that asks if prisoners should be allowed to vote. I personally feel the vote should be universal and the right of all people. But its fair enough to ask is a person suitable to vote. Should their knowledge of democracy be tested before they can vote. Maybe it should. Perhaps the vote should be earned rather than automatically granted when a person reaches voting age.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

No, citizens get to vote.  Politicians are meant to inspire--and that include inspiration to give damn and take an interest.  Something that sometimes gets hard to do with business-as-usual Washington.

6. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 11 years ago

Most people are voting in ONE issue alone, whatever is the most important for them. They see the tree, but not the forest.
    How do you convince people who are anti-abortion BUT for death penalty that their position makes no sense?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes they are living in that tree, so naturally it is important to them.

1. grand old lady profile image84
        grand old ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There does seem to be an inconsistency there. The child is innocent, the man is guilty but the death penalty is rather harsh.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Who will judge the others, what are the parameters?

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

A test sounds logical but voters are not always logical. I believe, most vote with their hearts or emotions.

9. Barefootfae profile image60
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

Voting is a right not a privilege.
    I can't believe this is going through without anyone saying anything about voter suppression.
    I am conservative and would have gone deaf from the screams by now had I suggested such a thing as this.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image74
      Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Finally and thankfully, here is something that you and I agree on. Voting is a right, no if's and's or but's. Any attempts to deny or limit a citizen's access to vote and/or ability to vote is completely out of line with what we, as a country, supposedly stand for.

Anyone, regardless of political affiliation should be condemned for advocating voter suppression or limiting access to the polls.

1. Barefootfae profile image60
        Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let's not forget the assertion you may possibly not be intelligent enough to have the right to vote.
        Now maybe you understand why I am opposed to the agenda these folks wish to impose on us.

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
          Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not as much a question of intelligence as it is a question of ignorance. Plenty of people are voting without having the slightest idea about the issues and their only "knowledge" comes from TV commercials. I am opposed to voting suppression, BUT I am all for educating the electorate.
          In a strange way, this is like everyone's right to be a parent, but very few getting educated about how to be a responsible one.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Voting on intuition may not be that inaccurate (that is, not representing what the voter wants). The ads push the buttons, but the people have to have the button to push.

2. Josak profile image59
          Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By these folks do you mean the guy who asked a question while explicitly stating he did not support the idea? The agenda I am scared of is the one that attempts to intimidate people into not asking controversial questions, in other words the cause of stagnation and ignorance.

Nope I am talking about the folks who a little over a month ago screamed to high heaven if you had to have an ID to vote but now apparently want to go another direction towards voter suppression by having a "test".
            I also notice it's the left wing wanting to do this which indicates to me nothing more than trying to suppress conservative voters.
            As I said........a little over a month ago the screams would have been deafening had this been suggested...especially by conservatives. It's just fine now of course.

1. Josak profile image59
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow you really should read what you are replying to I have twice now pointed out that I do not agree with the idea that I was interested in what the public opinion on it is. Get it yet?

Get it.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
              Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Again... most of the liberals on the thread have said this is not a good idea.

Most...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

And I don't know the politics of everyone who thinks it's a good idea, I would never assume.

2. Barefootfae profile image60

I don't care if you ask a controversial question. Just don't be surprised when I give a controversial answer.

3. Jillian Barclay profile image74
            Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Josak,
            I never had a doubt that you posing the question was simply that...I knew from the beginning what your views were. I was, however, surprised and shocked by some of the answers that some people have given.

For example, "Only property owners should vote." "Anyone on assistance should lose their rights" "Voting is a privilege, not a right?" "Only those who pay federal income taxes should have the right to vote", etc. Shameful!

Wow! We know what we are facing, just by these answers, how we will have to fight to expand the vote-not limit or suppress it-but expand it and make sure that everyone who can vote and wants to vote is afforded the opportunity to do so.

As for requiring photo ID- many eligible voters simply have no way to get the documents that would be required. In the case of many older voters, there are no birth records available. So, even though they are citizens, their right to vote should be taken away? B.S.!

As for many poor citizens- they simply do not have the financial means to obtain the documents that would be required. When and if the government (states pushing for a specific type of photo ID) shell out the money for the birth certificate or whatever other paperwork required AND guarantee free voter ID cards, then maybe... Alot of people simply cannot afford the $30.00 often required to obtain a certified birth certificate. Hard to believe? How many of us think $30.00 is nothing? Too many! These doubters have no clue that $30.00 has to pay for a week of food for poorer citizens. Some rely on less than $30.00 for that week. 

People like Husted and Rick Scott should be prosecuted and as of late, Scott Walker has doubled down. ANYONE who attempts to keep others from voting should be charged with voter suppression and election tampering.

As for "intelligence" testing? Thought we settled that issue long ago---Anyone who advocates for this idea should seriously question their own ability to PASS an "intelligence" test!

To anyone who seeks to suppress and/or limit voters' rights? Clean your KKK sheets and hoods, renew your John Birch Society memberships and dig out your "I love Joe McCarthy!" pins!

1. GA Anderson profile image89
              GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jillian,
              Your emotional response appears sincere and compassionate, but factually - you offer a deficit that often accompanies most irrational emotional responses.

Factually - U.S. voting is a privilege - not a right. I am doubtful you can present factual evidence to the contrary.

On the other hand, I did say it was essentially a matter of semantics - as most U.S. citizens view it as a right - even if our laws don't.

As for voter ID requirements - a little research would have shown you that in almost every case; states proposing them have also provided fee waivers, and/or specific programs to assist voters in their "quest" for an ID. Yes, especially for the "poor" folks on a $30 food budget.

I, as well have others, have written extensively on this subject. There is also a plethora of official .gov sites for voter education, (about the actual laws and requirements),  concerning how to obtain their FREE, ( although possibly not in every single possible case), photo voter ID's.

The information is there - should you wish to buttress the validity of your opinion.

Alas, and unfortunately, your closing statement is more than telling - regarding your "balanced" perspective...
              "...To anyone who seeks to suppress and/or limit voters' rights? Clean your KKK sheets and hoods, renew your John Birch Society memberships and dig out your "I love Joe McCarthy!" pins!..."

I am against voter suppression - but for voter ID - so according to you I must be a card-carrying Bircher and proud McCarthyite, with a recently cleaned KKK robe in my trunk. You forgot to mention the spare can of gas for the cross-burnings. tsk. tsk.

GA

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hmmm... it may sound like a matter of semantics, but no, voting, (in the U.S.), is not a right - it is a privilege.  One that is defined, (ie. required qualifications, prohibitions), by multiple state/federal laws, and constitutional amendments.

The most recognized would probably be the Voting Rights Act of 1965, but there were many others.

ALL of which define how the right to vote may not be abridged or denied - but NONE of which actually declare voting a right.

We Americans just take it for granted - when in fact the U.S. Constitution does not declare a right to vote.

Can you take away the rights of "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness[sic]?" Yet the "right to vote is taken away from Felons.

You can suspend/revoke privileges. And our legal system does.

GA

One reason for the Voting Rights Act was that blacks, and only blacks, had to write a test in some places before they could vote.

10. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

Only landowners should be able to vote! If you are receiving ANY government assistance at all you should have your rights taken from you!

That is ridiculous...we got rid of the Feudal system a while ago.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on, whats wrong with having a little skin in the game before one can vote?

11. Benjamin777 profile image59
    Benjamin777posted 11 years ago

I think that each voter should be given a short questionnaire before entering the polls.  It should be multiple choice, somewhere between five and ten questions, each question pertaining to a key issue of debate on which the two major parties disagree.  At the end of the questionnaire, the results should be presented to the voter in a way that tells them with which party their beliefs are most consistent.  People may be less likely to vote from the heart if they know which party's candidates they tend to agree with.

1. grand old lady profile image84
      grand old ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That may mean longer lines at the polls....

12. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

I think it's a great idea!  The questions would reflect the important issues that voters are concerned with and might look like this:

Did Obama ever present a valid birth certificate?
       yes      NO
    Does Romney belong to a cult religion spawned by satan?
       YES  no
    Does Obama hate America and try his best to destroy it?
       YES  no
    Does Romney pay income tax?
       yes  NO
    Is Obama actually a muslim that hates Christianity?
       YES  no
    Does Romney hate all poor people and want them to die?
       YES  no

I trust that my point is understood?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where are you getting your information, Wilderness?
      I could swear those were not the same answers in my Voter Education Pamphlet.
      And I'm certain MY Voter Education Pamphlet is factual and true.
      More factualer and truer than yours!
      tongue

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No!  MINE are true!  Yours should always be ignored as unfactual and untruer!  And your cape is silly, too!
        tongue

13. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

A right is something given to a person by virtue of them being in a group (e.g. law-abiding adult citizens).  Ergo I see not problem at all with calling voting a right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)