jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

I, for one, am tired of those who attack America and Americans.   Such pundists maintain that there is hardly any upward mobility.   They further maintain that Americans are the unhealthiest of all industrialized nations.    They also assert that Americans are materialistic and too ambitious.    They contend that Americans are more interested in their own comfort level than in actually improving the society at hand.    They maintain that there are more poorer and impoverished Americans than ever. 

However, despite the naysayings of the negaters and haters,  America is a great country.   There is nowhere in the world where there is upward mobility.   In essence, one can advance as far as their education and/or talents permit.    Americans also know the value of hard work.   Americans have the can do and will do mentality.    Americans have the wonderful ethos that if one wants and desire something, one must work and strategize for it.    Americans have a growing class of entrepeneurs who refuse to permit the current socioeconomic condition deter them from accomplishing their dreams and goals.     In other words, if America was as bas as the pundists state, people from all over the world would not be coming to its shores.    Let's us discuss the greatness of America!   What would YOU want to tell the negative pundists who consistently criticize America?

2. 60
    Muttawaffaposted 3 years ago via iphone

There's lots of fat people there

3. Distant Mind profile image90
    Distant Mindposted 3 years ago

Like most things in life, this issue cannot be viewed onesidedly. America certainly has what to be proud of, but most of the things you mentioned exist and the criticism is not based on nothing. The fact you are fed up with hearing some facts doesn't mean they are not true. The assertions you make are as one-sided as the assertions that annoyed you to the point of making this post. Saying Americans are hard-working is as nonsensical as saying they are stupid. Some are, some aren't.

The US is a great place for somebody that wants to take chances, develop or prosper, but it's not the only place in the world that provides that. Americans are used to being pumped up about how their country is the greatest in the world, but that doesn't mean it's true. It's something quite subjective and different people would make that evaluation based on different things and therefore, choosing different places. It's certainly a great place. But not the only place and many places are better in this or in that. And this should be all right.

It's a land of opportunity, but it's also a land filled with obese, ignorant and worst of all arrogant  morons (of course, I'm by no means saying that all Americans are morons) and the country with the worst health care system in the western world. The Mark Zuckerbergs do not cancel out the Honey Boo Boos and vice versa. The USA is such a huge country it has all extremes.

Everything has it's flipside and nothing is black and white. The criticism goes hand in hand with the praise. Why is this a problem?

1. 0
      Justsilvieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+++++ Well said!

2. frantisek78 profile image86
      frantisek78posted 3 years ago in reply to this

You took the words right out of my mouth!

3. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Excellent, excellent, excellent

I, for one, am tired of those who indulge in platitudes about the greatness of America as a way to ignore or deflect from the real problems that exist.  I love my country, warts and all.  I'd just like to keep working on eradicating those warts.

4. frantisek78 profile image86
    frantisek78posted 3 years ago

Self- criticism is a virtue. Are individuals who go around getting deeply offended by any criticism and insist that their way is the best way tolerated in society? Same with countries.

Let's take George Washington and the others: they not only criticized their country (Great Britain), but also physically rose up against it. Americans consider them heroes, whilst the British considered them traitors. If we follow your idea of non-criticism then Washington should have ignored what he felt was wrong and instead wave the Union Jack and yell "UK Number 1" no matter what.

There is nothing wrong with being dissatisfied with negative things in your own country and giving voice to that. Many Americans feel personally offended at such criticism and respond by flag waving and saying "Git out!" It's easier to become defensive than to take an honest look at one's faults. It also takes a lot less effort. This is where laziness and apathy comes in. Sure, many people from the world over move to the US, but at the same time many Americans move overseas as well. To each his own.

It would be a good idea to visit and experience other places in the world before claiming one's country is "the best" or the epitome of "goodness", which are in themselves highly subjective ideas. Without a point of comparison making claims one way or the other is pointless.