jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Cliche pet peeves.

1. bBerean profile image60
    bBereanposted 3 years ago

Ever hear someone misuse or misquote a cliche, completely negating the wisdom it was meant to impart or it's relevance?  Here are a couple of my pet peeves that come to mind:

"A long road to hoe" instead of "A long row to hoe".  Who hoes a road?

"I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

What are some of your cliche pet peeves?

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've just reached a point where people that do that kind of thing don't even enter my radar except to think (to myself) 'can't write.'

2. Ericdierker profile image81
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think most kids do not understand "row" in the sense of hoeing a field. And if they are fortunate enough to know what a hoe is perhaps they can imagine hoeing a road.
      I always use the first in combination, "I could care less if I cared at all".

Food for thought and maybe I would write more if I was not too broke to pay attention.

2. Trish89 profile image81
    Trish89posted 3 years ago

I cannot stand when someone doesn't use the right too, to; were, we're, your, you're; the list goes on. It's not that hard!!

3. 2uesday profile image91
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

I find it very difficult when someone does this and I notice their error. As I have to wait until they are no longer with me before I laugh. smile

4. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

Kids saying, "Butt naked"  instead of the correct, "Buck naked", drives me nuts.  Many of these miscommunications are caused by a lack of phonemic awareness.
    I love Ericdierkers explaination of," Tough row to hoe", While
    it fits in with the inability to hear the difference in phonemes, I agree with him that it is a combination of not understanding the cliche then making up something for what they heard incorrectly and didn't understand.
    Eric's explanation has given me an idea for  explaining to the kid who says, "But naked", the correct meaning.  Looking at the back end of a deer will explain," Buck naked".