jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)

Racial crime variance

1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/race.cfm

In the US, 6 times as many blacks per 100,000 are killed compared to whites. 7 times as many blacks per 100,000 kill someone compared to whites.(That also means there are more blacks killing whites than vice versa, percentage-wise)

Why?

How do we change this?

1. profile image60
      whoisitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This should be an interesting thread.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'll probably be called a racist... but it's happened before(because I didn't vote for Obama)

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And less likely to be mass murderers or serial killers.

1. profile image0

Are you sure?

A quick search doesn't show any data for mass murders by race, but the FBI disagrees with you about serial killers.

1. peeples profile image87
          peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Where did you read that because all the written handbooks I have say otherwise about serial killers?

1. profile image0

I linked it in the quote

1. peeples profile image87
              peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I must have missed it. I saw nothing in there about serial killers. I'm sorry I have read hundreds of articles and dozens of books about serial killers and atleast here in the USA there are more white men than any other group of people as serial killers.

1. profile image0

numbers wise there are more whites... But when you factor in racial distribution of the population you get similar rates

2. profile image60

I don't think that is actually true, maybe the serial killer part but we have a bunch of serial killers who are active and as of now unidentified. You refer to spree killers which is different than mass murderers.

2. secularist10 profile image90
    secularist10posted 4 years ago

It's not a racist question.

There are many reasons why one population experiences more crime than another. Blacks in America are much more likely to experience all of the main drivers of crime: poverty/ low income, low education, high school dropouts, limited job opportunities, etc. There is a cultural component as well, but it is not "black culture," it is the culture of poverty which, again, more black people experience proportionally than white people. (If you go to a trailer park in Appalachia, you will see the same kind of culture of poverty among white people. So it's not about skin color.)

The way to change this is the same way crime and poverty has been reduced everywhere else through history: economic development, education, skills, and a changing culture.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You've hit the nail on the head.  Around my area it is hispanics to the west and whites to the east.  both are also the poverty stricken areas. 

Poverty promotes (blue collar, violent) crime regardless of race.  Whether it is the result of desperation, excessive free time, depression, or whatever I don't know, but poverty does promote crime without regards to color.

1. profile image60

Is the crime worse in one area or are they both the same?

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Based solely on hearsay, I would say that they are different.  Very different.

One is mostly gang activity, the other old fashioned red neck violence.  Both are full of theft, from shoplifting to cars.  Both have lots of drugs.  One has 5 times the number of police shootings but is also 3 times the size. 

Both areas are poor, though.

2. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

+1

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

What was the point of starting this thread?

1. profile image0

To have a discussion. People learn things from discussion.

For instance, you might have learned that there isn't a disproportionate number of white serial killers.

1. profile image60

I don't think all people learn things from discussions. Some seem to know it all already.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

Well, I know one hubber who will show up here soon if he hasn't been banned...

working