jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

100 U.S. Citizens Have Been Shot Dead Since the Sandy Hook Massacre.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago

Why don't these 100 people who have been murdered matter to us? Why is it only big atrocities that get the public's attention? Is is because Americans just don't care, or rather that they feel helpless or pressured by the NRA to feel nothing can be done? Or is the U.S. simply a nation of natual born killers?

Check out the murders from last week and give me a shout:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 … 48466.html

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 3 years ago

Doctor Billy Kid

You have provided some valid questions certainly ones that should be considered. There could be more than one factor which plays into why we Americans allow these atrocities to continue time and time again. My initial response would be that we or at least too many of us as Americans have become selfish. The me generation has not disappeared from our society as of yet.

Morality or goodness generally is not in innate quality. We need only look at a child and what do we see, someone who is selfish and focused only on their desires. If we allow the child to go through life learning by way of the world how can we be surprised that the message he received or she received isn't about getting as much as you possibly can even if that means stepping on others to get it!

If one wants a moral, harmonious, safe environment then they must make every effort to create such an environment. When we focus on segregation, exclusions of others we are creating the kind of society like we have today.

3. Hot Rod Loves You profile image59
    Hot Rod Loves Youposted 3 years ago

I think there are too many bad people with guns and not enough good people with guns.  I believe individual people and business owners need to tighten their security and their awareness of their surroundings.  Video surveillance and armed security and just being vigilant at all times may keep a person safer if they're paying attention to what is going on around them.

Learning self-defense and other ways to protect yourself is a start to being safer.  Of course a person shouldn't live in fear and sometimes bad things happen to good people unexpectedly but being prepared and paying attention could save your life or the lives of others.

4. A Driveby Quipper profile image61
    A Driveby Quipperposted 3 years ago

Keep your head down and your mouth shut.