jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

the Second Amendment - Conservative or Liberal?

1. ThompsonPen profile image84
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

When I think of guns and those fighting to keep the freedom to keep them, I generally think of a more conservative mindset. However, It could be argued that it is quite liberal in that it is expressing a freedom that we need, and on top of that, the Right was originally put into place so the people would have a means to go against the government should it become too domineering.
    What do you think?

1. tmbridgeland profile image84
      tmbridgelandposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The 2nd isn't really a conservative or liberal thing. The last few decades have seen so-called liberals coming out against it, but that is a new thing. Liberals used to be all for the second, as they were fighting for the freedom of the underclass. Now, in the US liberals are all about keeping their big government privileges and paychecks intact. In the past it was more conservatives who tended to favor government control of weapons.
      Generally, gun control is favored by groups that are in power and want to stay there.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you'll find that stereotypes will destroy any rational answers.

For instance, my idea of the left is that the only right they'll fight for is the right to veg out on weed.  Certainly not the right to maintain a freedom, any freedom, as they want to take them ALL away.

Of course I know that isn't true, but it IS the stereotype of the left that I have and that's what people answer from.

1. innersmiff profile image88
        innersmiffposted 3 years ago in reply to this

'Liberal' used to mean 'free', in a sense. Now it means being 'liberal' with other people's money lol

2. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

No, my friend I suspect that left and right are in this together , Number one ......The second Amendment . IS about our right to protect  our selves from a governing power like the colonial Brits of the day  !  Now though , I believe its right here in our own Government !  Tiranny ,over taxation , over control  of society ! Is it time yet ??

3. wileyspeaks profile image81
    wileyspeaksposted 3 years ago

I don't think it is a conservative or liberal ideal either.  However, I do believe that gun safety, not control is more the issue.  When the second amendement was put into place, folks back then hunted primarily for their food and the police forces and military are not what they are today.  Today, people take advantage of the second amendment in order to really own guns that nobody needs in order to protect themselves, or to hunt.  I think that there should be stricter gun safety rules, and that some guns are not meant or designed for personal use.