Idle No More Movement.

1. backporchstories profile image85
    backporchstoriesposted 3 years ago

This indigenous movement has spread like wildfire across the world.  Though it stems from Canadian Indigenous People and their broken treaties, what it really comes down to is the governments and corporations lack of concern about the protection of land and water!  What have you heard and do you support this movement in any way?

1. Mr. Happy profile image82
      Mr. Happyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I support this movement, for sure.
      Enough is enough. Governments world-wide have been ignoring treaties made with people of the First Nations for decades, or perhaps centuries. Their lands have been stolen/invaded and basically they have been taken advantage of. Time for some real change.

Regarding "Idle No More" movement, I personally have met with Chief Theresa Spence (who at this point is on her third week in her hunger strike) last year. I have been to Attawapiskat and have put several articles about the atrocious living conditions in her community, here on Hub-pages. 

When You speak of "corporations lack of concern"- You hit the nail, right on. DeBeers Inc. (the multinational mining corporation) is mining diamonds just north of Attawapiskat. This corporation is pulling billions of dollars in profit out of Cree land, while the people there are living in third world living conditions: in tents in the winter, kids without access to a public school building, etc.
      Things will certainly have to change: "Idle No More".

"Together United We'll Never Be Defeated"

1. backporchstories profile image85
        backporchstoriesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for you response.  Much is need to change our world and Idle No More is an excellent platform!