jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Effort, People

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Many people still believe that people need to be more self-reliant in order to succeed.   They contend that we live in a society where some people expect others to rescue them.   They also assert that many people in this society have an entitlement mentality and blame others instead of assessing their individual situation and remedying it.    They are of the opiinion that one can succeed if one truly wants to.  What is YOUR take on this?

2. 0
    alwaysamberposted 3 years ago

I think that a lot of times people want things handed to them without having to work for it. I have been working since the age 16 (part-time at the time, of course, while finishing high school and moving on the college). I now have my own home, my own vehicle and a career. I did not have things handed to me like a lot of young people do these days. I did not have a brand new $30,000 vehicle at the age of 16. My parents made me work for what I wanted. They told me that when I was older, I would appreciate what I had, if I worked for it. They were right. I appreciate everything that I have worked hard for. So, I think that someone can succeed if they truly want to. I think that no matter what you put your mind to, you can do it. It takes independence and work and doesn't happen overnight.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is so true.   Children must be taught how to be independent and be guided towards it from a very young age.    No matter how much a parent has, children must be taught the importance of self-reliance.      Teach a child the fun and pride that cames from being independent by encouraging him/her to have summer jobs or a creative enterprise.    With independence, comes ownership.

1. 0
        alwaysamberposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree 100%. I was very independent and still am, because my parents taught me how to be. I don't understand kids these days and parents dishing out money for them to shop at Abercrombie & Fitch, or for them to get an ipad or iphone. Get a job!