UNITING AMERICA

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (39 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

America seems to be a country divided by many ideologies and fractions.  What do you propose that will unite this country, if it ever will be united?

1. ATexanagain profile image57
      ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The internet will unite us all!

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Getting rid of the Great Divider would've been a huge step toward re-uniting America.   But alas, he got re-elected.

3. breakfastpop profile image65
      breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We need a complete change in leadership from the president on down. President Obama did his best to divide this nation and his partners in crime, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have kept the momentum going. We need a return to common sense and our core values.

1. profile image0

Amen.
        And if that doesn't happen,  we have no choice but to stay divided.   Our conscience dictates such.

4. adjkp25 profile image89
      adjkp25posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The last time we had unity was after 9/11 and no one wants to see that again.

The problem is all of the petty name calling, finger pointing, blame, etc.  Too many politicians are also more interested in doing what they believe will be perceived as them looking like they are doing a good job instead of just doing their job.

I gained some respect for Chris Christie when he spoke positively of the President because he said what he felt, not what he should have said.  Could it have been a political move towards 2016, who knows, but at least he came out and did it and to heck with the political ramifications at the moment.

Just take a look at the comments here in the forums for perfect examples of the stuff I mentioned above or ask the speaker how he addressed another senator yesterday.  We all lose our tempers now and then but we can't expect to improve if we are OK with things being this way.

5. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A surprise attack by the Chinese.

2. frantisek78 profile image80
    frantisek78posted 11 years ago

Shopping at Wal-Mart and Costco has a special way of making us feel like we are part of one big family.

1. profile image0
      Jonesy50posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you seen some of the people at Wal-Mart?!?!?!? That's not a family I'd want to be a member of!!!!!!!

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I submit that the majority are united. It's just the fractious minority that makes all the ruckus.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Diversity is just as important as unity.

1. ATexanagain profile image57
      ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its important in the way that it has divided this country thats for sure. We spend way too much time making sure all the different factions are happy and not enough of getting on the same page.

2. profile image0

Not in my opinion.  And especially not in a Country that was based on set standards, both religiously and Constitutionally.   America should get better, not worse;  but it has stopped getting better. .    It (we as a whole) have a histroy of correcting the things we did wrong.  We progressed, not degressed.    But these days, we're simply saying there is no right or wrong, it's all relative and irrelevant.    Well, it isn't relative,  and it is very relevant.   Too many of the things that are pushed under the label of "diversity" are actually dividers, deliberate instigators of division.  All Nations have the right to draw a line in the sand and say what we will not allow and what we will allow.   Why America has become gutless enough to back down at the hand of the liberal agenda is beyond me.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find the idea of a country where everyone believes the same thing terrifying. That is not unity, it is conformity.

IMHO the founding value of America is freedom, specifically freedom of belief from the tyranny of the crown and intolerance of the majority faith.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
          gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner, GOD,no.    I dread that.   That is not uniformity but Nazism.     We as a country can unite as a people although we have different and divergent opinions.   Differences and diversity is good and needed.   No right thinking human beings wants blind conformity.

2. tammybarnette profile image60
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. profile image54
          whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who said we all had to believe the same thing? But we should all believe in the principals set forth by our constitution unfortunately not all of us do. Some would trade the tyranny of the crown for the tyranny of our own government. Our Declaration of Independence makes it very clear what we as citizens should do when our government is no longer concerned about us.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

1. savanasandy profile image60
            savanasandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

very well said.

2. frantisek78 profile image80
        frantisek78posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Times change and all countries and societies go through changes. Just because a country was founded on a certain set of ideas does not mean that it will not diverge from these as time goes on. Rome was founded on certain principles, as were Greek city-states etc., but they all changed. Societies and values are organic: they "progress" and "regress" (these terms can and are defined in innumerable ways by different societies). It is impossible for societies to stay stagnant. Changes that are good for some and bad for others or vice-versa are unavoidable. It is also impossible to define what "good" or "bad" is in any comprehensive way. It all depends on whose definitions we use.

1. profile image0

I disagree.
          It is not at all impossible to define "good" and "bad".
          And I see nothing "stagnant" about a Nation maintaining its moral and legal basis.   I think.......that many libs simply call that "boring" and will go for any type of change no matter if it's good or bad.    To me, there is nothing boring about a good thing.

3. Quilligrapher profile image72
        Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, intolerance is the instigator of division.
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

5. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Definately need to replace all the Republicans! The POTUS has done a great job, considering the Republicans wanting to make him a one time president since his first election! Republicans are out of touch with the average American Worker! And they continue to obstruct! This time denying the victims of hurrican Sandy the help they need!

1. profile image0

A one-time President?   I'm very willing to say I never wanted him elected in the first place.

As soon as I heard him say he wouldn't want his daughters "punished with a baby",  I knew the man was unfit for public Office.   You're worried about people denying Sandy victims the help they need?   I am too.   But indeed your hero Obama has never been worried about human life at it's most basic form.    That tops anything the Republicans have messed-up to date,  and will top anything else anybody comes up with.   The POTUS has done a horrid job from day one, and will apparently continue to do so,  while his adoring fans cheer him on.

1. tammybarnette profile image60

I am not privy to the statement you list from the POTUS, but to suggest his opinion, different than your own obviously, is more damaging than the acts of the incompetent Republicans in Congress is ludicrous. The R's have damaged this country, and our economy, almost beyond repair, and continue to do so. They are mere puppets to their big business lobbyist who are lining their pockets, and dictating legislation that in no way represents the American people. Obama has been and will be a innovative and fearless POTUS who refuses to bow down to the lobbyist or the Republican controlled Congress. Some very highly respected R's, such as Chris Christie, came out and tore Boehner to shreds for not approving relief funding for the damage caused by Sandy. Of course, Boehner had no choice to walk it back and will now take this up in two weeks, which appeased his party, but it has been two months, pathetic! It is clear to see which party is out of touch and out-dated.

1. American View profile image61
          American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tammy
          I hope you and the family had a great holiday season.
          I know you believe the Republicans are such bad heartless criminals but they are not the lone cause for the countries ills, and until everyone opens their eyes to that truth the country cannot even begin to make any progress for what is coming in the next 3 years. That may have sounded dire, but that is all that is left before we have reached the point of no return based on our current course. Now there are no studies on this, it is based on common sense and simple math I did myself.
          You blame Republicans for being big business puppets lining their pockets, what, Democrats do not do that? I know you are not naive to believe that. If you do, perhaps a review of Obama major donors are in order. I find it interesting when Dems decry how disgusting the rich are, demonizing people like the Koch brothers and Mitt Romney as evil, yet stay silent about people like George Soros, Warren Buffet, Hollywood moguls. By the way, Obama not bowing down to lobbyists, really, next time you by those new light bulbs at those wonderful prices 1500% more than the old bulbs, remember what company benefited the most, GE. Oh wait was that not the company that had several key members of its company in the Obama administration, on Obamas business adversarial board, the company that donated millions to his campaign, the first company Obama gave an exemption to under Obamacare?
          As for obstruction, the final tally for the 112th Congress is 2943 bills or resolutions that Harry Reid tabled or did not bring to the Senate floor for a vote. Compare that to the House 822. One run by Democrat, one run by Republican, who is obstructing?
          As for the relief package for Sandy not being voted on, let’s take a look at that.  Today is 1-4-2013, just a couple of days since the none vote. Do you think if they voted and the vote was yes that the government would be cutting checks today? If a yes vote occurred, what would Governor Christy be doing today, exactly what he is doing, nothing would have changed.
          Now let’s look at some facts, Rebuilding is already in full swing. Insurance companies are picking up the tab on the majority of the overall costs to rebuild and temporary housing. The biggest need for federal money is for those uninsured, under insured, federal infrastructure and state infrastructure. According to FEMA. For funding already passed by Conress and state funding on local leels, 80% of the rebuilding costs are covered.  What are needed are funds to complete the rebuild and funds to make improvements to minimize damage in case of a future storm of this strength. Those costs are approximately 24 billion dollars.
          So ask yourself two questions, 1- if they only need 24 billion dollars why ask for 60 billion dollars and 2- why did this come from the Senate instead of the House which is where spending bills are suppose to originate?
          Read the bill, see the spending breakdown for which only 22% of the money actually goes to Sandy relief, look where the money is going. There is one line item getting funding in 2019.  Look at who sponsors it, who the co sponsors are, why are there no Republican co sponsors?
          Last, just to make a correction, the bill vote was always scheduled for the next congress, Dems were pressuring Boehner for a vote before the break. Even in the video above the first speaker on the floor, a Democrat, said Boehner would consider moving the vote up but did not promise or guarantee he would do so. I applaud Boehner for staying on schedule and not pushing the vote up. Perhaps a few people will realize how awful and insincere this bill really is.

1. jimagain profile image79
            jimagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for a well articualted reply. You should probably expect vitriol and calumniation in response. I expect your position will be adequately  misrepresented

2. tammybarnette profile image60

AV, I agree that both sides are to blame. Did you see all the R pork passed in the Fiscal Cliff bill...So, yes, there in lies a huge problem, and both sides share blame. My rant was a reaction towards those who love to demonize the POTUS, and refuse to understand that THAT is a THE problem in this country, and WHY we can not move forward, or learn to compromise. I did see the ridiculous pork in the Sandy bill, tit for tat I guess...But is wrong none the less.

I had a great Holiday season, I hope the New Year has found you well smile Great to see you here, I have missed you.

3. tammybarnette profile image60

After some research, it was really, more R pork...
            http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 … ou-betcha/

2. profile image0

You're not privy to the statement?    I dunno why,  'cause it was in one of his speeches shown publicly on tv,  and re-played all over the internet for years.

Funny how so many people overlook the stuff Obama said and says if it isn't convenient for the liberal cause.   Funny how so many people overlook the fact of innocent babies being aborted day after day after day,  and a man standing on a podium talking like human life should be considered an inconvenience, a "mistake".

Yes, his attitude and his actions are more damaging than anything the Republicans have done.    That's not just my "opinion", it's a fact,  no matter how much liberals tend to shove the issues under the rug.

1. tammybarnette profile image60

Actually, it IS only your opinion as well as that of some other Conservatives. And to say that his opinions are more damaging than actual actions? Odd, I do not believe thoughts or opinions are nearly as dangerous as actions. But you are entitled to your opinions.

6. savanasandy profile image60
    savanasandyposted 11 years ago

Let the mob take it over again...they'll straighten it out.

7. jimagain profile image79
    jimagainposted 11 years ago

The idea that America needs to be united is an implicit statement that diversity is somehow wrong. In the adult world I grudgingly learned people embrace a multiplicity of views, all of which are as diverse and unique as the people who espouse them. Competing ideology in a free market place of ideas is not a flaw but a strength.

People may believe that there can be a society where dissent is not permitted, but which is nonetheless not a fear society because everyone agrees with one another and therefore no one wants to dissent.
    Natan Sharansky

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen, brother. Amen.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

8. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

It has been that way since day one. Trends trump tradition on this continent.

Stay out of the road, and don't tell me where I can walk my dog.

9. profile image0
    Jonesy50posted 11 years ago

Voting out Obama back in November would have been a huge step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything that will bring us back together. I, personally, believe this country will split into two, possibly three, countries before it's all said and done. In the next four years? Maybe not. But I do believe it'll happen in my lifetime.

The government's present war on guns may very well be the catalyst for that to take place.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
      A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking hard at the Colorado portion.

1. profile image0
        Jonesy50posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Take a toke, pass it around . . .

10. rfmoran profile image72
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

A few weeks ago I would have said vote for Mitt Romney, but alas that did not happen. As long as we live in a nation where the top guy demonizes opponents rather than argues issues we will become increasingly divided over the next four years.

11. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

And yet at the time of writing, slavery was a way of life for many who were also created equal. Jefferson's excerpt in regard to King George 111's support of slavery was removed when delegates from slave owning states objected.  Slavery remained legal until Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863.  I don't know if this fact is taught in schools any longer.  It should be.   Even though this great document declared all men as created equal..., it was not so.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)