jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

The Words "Conservative" and "Liberal"

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

These two words are such a source of contention and stereotyping.    Many people associate the word conservative with Republican and the word liberal with Democrat.   However, that can be an overgeneralization.   Yes, there are conservatives who are Republicans and liberals who are Democrat.   

However, not all conservatives are Republicans and not all Liberals are Democrats.   There are highly conservative Democrats( my parents and some members of my extended family) and there are very liberal Republicans( one of my former bosses).      It is time to stop this generalization of the so-called stereotypes of what is a Democrat and a Republican.   Do you agree? Why? Why not?

1. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree, and very well said. I am a very conservative democrat, at least fiscally conservative but have more liberal social views. I am glad you started this forum, maybe everyone will see we are not as far apart as we may seem in our political ideaologies.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Tammy, continue the discussion.   Adieu.

2. adjkp25 profile image92
      adjkp25posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I tend to go with more Democratic views but I can go back and forth, it depends on the issue.

I haven't been involved in politics as long others but I have learned to ignore anyone who uses either term as a negative, especially if that is their entire argument.  Neither word is bad so quit labeling them as such.

If people have an opinion on either go ahead and voice it but don't come out with a gross over characterization labeling an entire group of people; it is counter productive.

2. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

These words have been warped so beyond their original meaning that in this day and age they're just about useless lol

'Liberals' used to represent personal and economic freedom, whereas the 'Conservatives' were the old statist/monarchists, which represented a valuable differing of opinion: how much freedom should an individual have? Now both of these ideologues represent very mildly different forms of statism and imperialism. This is the great trick the devil played: convincing us there is actually a dichotomy there. How are modern 'liberals' liberal? And how are modern 'conservatives' conservative? Both believe social, economic and foreign problems require violent intervention, if differing ever so slightly on exactly which problems they want to intervene in, and how much. What exactly is the great divide in America all about? The truth is that it is a false divide propagated by the media, that acts as nothing more than the government customer relations department. Divide and rule whilst they run away with the money, ending millions of lives, and propelling millions into poverty as it goes.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Now SOMEONE is finally making a logical conclusion regarding the matter at hand.

3. ahorseback profile image56
    ahorsebackposted 3 years ago

One thing about the real meaning of liberal and conservative is that in the last 150 years or so , the actual reality of our  idealisms has swapped back and forth between the two !........One became the other !