jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

AIG wanting to sue the American Government

1. 0
    Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago

After we bailed them out and saved their asses, AIG is wanting to sue the American Government.  What is your take on this?

1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
      OLYHOOCHposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Civil Suit, I think would work, BUT, A person would need The Best Law Firm In The United States, Don't ya think.

If I am Not Mistaken,,,, This is still in the Books, and will stand in any Court.

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image78
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, AIG's board just voted not to pursue the suit - "they just launched an entire publicity campaign around the idea of “Thank you, America,” full of patriotic themes and proud assertions of the fact that the insurer has now returned all its bailout money to the Treasury at a profit to taxpayers. Trying to get some of that money back would surely have undermined the campaign. The other result of AIG’s decision not to join the lawsuit: Greenberg is now on his own in what may be a quixotic pursuit." (well I learned something new ! quixotic = Exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical ) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won … -universe/
      My take? The government needs to learn a lesson here - where does it say in the constitution they get to pick winners and losers? And are they above the law? If they broke the law in saving AIG how can they be brought to account unless they can be sued? And shouldn't the voter know that their government is breaking the law and who in government is accountable (or not)? How stupid is the government anyway, to stick it's neck out with taxpayer money without getting indemnified by the company?

2. SimeyC profile image86
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

They just said this morning that they won't sue.

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Haven't seen the news yet so I guess I'm behind the times once again.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image92
    Jeff Berndtposted 3 years ago

Yeah, I can't see AIG actually going forward with this--it'd be a PR disaster.

Heck, even considering whether to join the suit was a bit of a PR kerfuffle.*

If they'd gone forward with it, AIG's Board of Directors wouldn't be able to show their faces in public.

*A Kerfuffle is about 1/5 of a Disaster, or, in Metric terms two deci-disasters.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

Jeff, your response provided me with a mid-day chuckle. smile