Teacher talks gunman out of US school shooting ...

1. ptosis profile image79
    ptosisposted 3 years ago

... halting a mass shooting by persuading a student gunman to give himself up.

A nice news story. Actually talking to a person as a person. Wow.

I remember in Honolulu when a homeless lady with a knife 15 feet away from 3 HPD  was shot. It was sort of by accident. The older cop said, "Just shoot her." One rookie tazed her, and the other rookie shot her in the gut - not the leg or shoulder but the gut. Did the vet cop meant 'taze' rather that 'gun down'?. She survived BTW.

I know there are people who try to commit suicide by cop but I think this story about a student gunman being talked out of killing a bunch of people  show an alternative to just 'shoot first' and ask questions later.

BTW" I'm a strong gun rights person, it's a tool but it's not the only tool people can use.

I think that would make a good hub, "how to talk somebody out of killing you". When we watch trillers on TV & the movies, I imagine myself "how would I get myself out of that situation?" - I can't run too fast.

"what to do when the lead is flying. ... at 15 feet a pistol canted just FIVE degrees will miss a human sized target. " - http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/activeshooter.html

So according to the above site- he never addressed 'talking' just getting the hell away!

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Every situation can be different.
      There's no guarantee that talking someone out of shooting will actually work.
      And in this case,  no one could've blamed the teacher or anyone if they had shot the kid without trying to talk to him, because he had already shot a student and tried to shoot others.

I'm very glad they were able to talk him out of further violence, though!