jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

"Fact: You probably can be fired for your political views"

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

"...They wanted the ... in the [White House], they reap the benefits..."

http://now.msn.com/terry-lee-forensics- … ting-obama

Quite a brutal little news article. What say you?

1. Wayne Brown profile image86
      Wayne Brownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I do not agree with the way the situation was handled or portrayed but I can understand that the reality of Obama's policies may be causing some folks to lose their jobs. Our personal opinions in the workplace have always been a threat to our jobs if they are expressed too heavily in that environment.  It goes right along with dress code, sexual harrassment, etc. When we are on our employer's ground, we are subject to the rules created for that workplace.  Good employees are very hard to find regardless of their political leaning.  I seriousls doubt that very many legitimate companies would make a public spectacle of letting employees go on the basis of political belief but I can certainly be convinced that many companies may be faced with that decision in the future as the uncertainty of healthcare issue, variables in taxation, and an ever growing basis of regulation cast a longer and longer shadow of government over the private sector. Obama has clearly ignored and actively surpressed the one element which could significantly shift the economy and grow the job market...the private sector.  Instead, he has set about to prove that the government should take on that focus...either a naive mistake or an aggressive agenda with a particular design and outcome in mind. ~WB

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Especially when it doesn't effect his business at all... I hope they can sue for wrongful dismissal.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's not a protected class. There is no wrongful termination.

And it probably will affect their business. A lot of businesses are facing increased costs due to liberal policies.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
          Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I guess the restaurant has over 50 employees.

So, you think it is right to fire people just because you disagree with their politics?

If they did their job properly, I would think they could fire for wrongful termination for that reason.

1. 0
            JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

At will means you can fire anyone, anytime, no matter how good of a worker they are. Wrongful termination comes into play if your boss sexually harasses you, then fires you after you file a complaint to HR, and situations like that.

I have no problem with owners firing employees for any reason. I fully support the right of an owner of a business to run it as he sees fit.

In this instance, I more than fully support it. Employees need to understand that if taxes go up for the business that employs them, because the candidate they support increased taxes, then there are consequences to those actions.

3. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's really sad that the division in this country is, well...ruining this country. I did not support W, but I would have never been so disrespectful to the POTUS. I truly hoped after the election, we as a society would accept the winner and move forward, united. But instead we have this sore loser situation. If the owners of companies feel that current policies are limiting their efforts to prosper, then they should handle this the right way. Take up a petition, march the hill, have a sit-in...the same way we have handled our disagreements throughout history. In this time of disrespect we are ruining our country and the views of our country to the rest of the world...we WILL suffer the consequences of these actions

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 3 years ago

Fact: Claims of factual information that start with "probably" are definitely possibly not facts.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

It is not a protected class.  Neither is homosexuality in most states, so you can be fired for that too. You can be fired for being too attractive. You can be fired on a whim for no reason at all ("at will"). In most jobs you work at the pleasure of your employer, and that is just how it is.

4. 0
    Aleister888posted 3 years ago

Whether right or wrong, happening officially or not, people will always take a "mental note" of anything controversial that you say, even if they don't want to sometimes, and these things can have a lovely way of coming to bite you in the behind.

I have been there and done that as far as getting political at work in my younger years, learned very fast to keep those kind of thoughts to yourself smile

Interest article, thanks for posting it.