Clinton on gun control:

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

He warns that Deomcrats will lose if they stand with Obama on gun control measures. Do Bill's remarks surprise you?

"Clinton closed his remarks with a warning to big Democratic donors that ultimately many Democratic lawmakers will be defeated if they choose to stand with the president."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/b … 86443.html

2. Waldo Numbly profile image59
    Waldo Numblyposted 11 years ago

Clinton is a realist.  The issue of gun control may be more passionate than even abortion; many view gun ownership as a symbol of safety and independence, ergo, a symbol of the American experiment itself.  Clinton knows that an incremental approach is much more palatable than broad-sweeping, knee-jerk reaction type policies.  Obama will soon be a lame duck, but his comrades in congress need to get re-elected.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Although I disagree with gun control in general (while accepting that it is good and necessary in specific areas) I find it interesting that an ex president finds the political strength of his party more important than the lives of the people.

That's sad, just as the comment from Waldo that the proper method for gun control is to take rights little by little, to work on it for years by demanding a little more "compromise" each year rather than reaching an acceptable compromise and letting go of it.  It's the way of our politics now, but still very sad.

I know I'm hijacking the thread somewhat, habee, but our political structure and leaders are in such need of change!

4. Teddletonmr profile image69
    Teddletonmrposted 11 years ago

habee, it just seems to me.
    The whole gun control issue is boring; the problem is not with the tool, rather the fool that uses the thing. Until the powers that be, get off the political correct kick of demonizing gun owners in the U.S. and find reason to help disturbed people that strike out against a society in a violent way. Things will not change.
    Folks that are hell bend on terrorizing a society will find a way, fly a plane into a building, park a truck full of explosives inside a building, or poison the communal cool aid.

5. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

Habee, After reading the article I understood that Clinton wasn't telling him to back down only to recognize the passion of a different generation, his, towards gun ownership. In essence, he is warning that this is something that needs awareness, and as we have seen here, so many believe that this is the beginning of a government take over, a way of slowly taking away rights, etc. When Obama spoke he reminded many of the letter Reagan sent to congress in 1994, asking them to bam assault military weapons. I believe the media has incited a riot in the conservative half of this country and that we the people as well as the career politicians have no idea how to see an idea without reading something cynical, even conspiratorial, into the language.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I think Clinton is more of a pragmatist, while Obama is more of an idealist. Also, as Clinton stated, he understands the gun culture better because of his years in Arkansas.

1. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Clinton is a pragmatist, not sure that I see Obama is an idealists, only more caring towards humankind as opposed to popularity or political correctness. I believe Obama would like to truly "fix" what is "fixable" rather than maitain status quo...

1. profile image54
        whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He could start with unemployment, it seems to be the exact same as when he took office.

1. tammybarnette profile image61

http://www.bls.gov/
          7.8%...Seems we are climbing out of this depression, slowly but surely smile

2. tammybarnette profile image61

http://money.cnn.com/data/us_markets/
          Dow, S&P 500, close at 5 yr high...recovery?

7. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I think that as long as people refuse to sit down and learn what an assault weapon is we will ever get away from what Clinton projects.
    As long a people think that assault weapons are somehow guaranteed and are just like other firearms we will not make progress.
    The most clear term for such weapons is "bullet hoses". It is descriptive. Nobody argues of their right to a nuclear weapon or poison gas, or private ownership of a fighter plane with weaponry. People have to get their minds wrapped around the fact that an assault weapon is indeed in the same category, it indiscriminately takes lives, the gun itself does and the person operating it cannot control each projectile with the proper precision. It is actually a small weapon of mass destruction in the private sector. (of course it has a proper purpose in the hands of military -- which is to lay a barrage during a tactical assault) And by the way I do not want tanks in every driveway either.

1. profile image54

You don't know what an assault weapon is obviously, and no the gun does not kill indiscriminately.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
        Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read my hubs on assault weapons you will learn that I know exactly what I am talking about. An expert trained and experienced with such a weapon in live action may be able to control the weapon properly. The normal marksman cannot control the directionality of fire well enough to be discriminate. That weapon is not designed for that use. So the weapon itself is a problem, not just the wingnut who fires one.

8. movingout profile image61
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

I seriously doubt Clinton is correct. He's obviously having a senior moment! Most people are in favor of more extensive background checks and other items proposed by the POTUS. And to bail on an issue as important as this, just to get re-elected, marks a sad day for this great country!

9. Teddletonmr profile image69

I believe it important for the anti-gun people to understand, the pro-gun thing, is not purely a conservative republican issue. Actually, there are just as many or more Democrats in the U.S that keep and bear arms.
    I believe that is the point Mr Clinton is trying to communicate. Guns are as much a part of the American culture, as is the republic. Attempting to devalue the rights of American’s, as many believe provided by the second amendment to our constitution weakens the common man’s ability to defend the republic for which it stands..

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. My liberal/Dem pals have guns, and they want to keep them.

2. tammybarnette profile image61

I agree, I live in TN, lots of hunting and fishing activities here, as well as, just for plain protection. But, I do not own an assault weapon so I am not worried, my guns are safe smile

10. Teddletonmr profile image69

Bullet hoses, really. Unless a person passes, the background check for a class three weapon required to own an automatic weapon.
    The typical over the counter purchase of a so-called assault rifle, requires the user pull the trigger for each round fired regardless of magazine capacity.sad

1. profile image54

I quit responding when they prove my original statement.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

That is not an assault weapon you speak of. It is just one step ahead of a childs mock up. It is a silly no account weapon for make believers and pretenders. If it is not fully automatic it is not an assault weapon.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

Buddy, what do you call a projectile dispellation with no clear guidance as to the recipient? Assault weapons can produce 30 rounds of single deadly projectile in about 45 seconds. Do you think that has a societal purpose. Or is it just cool like some movie, so I damn well have a right because Rambo does.  You folks are spewing not thinking.

11. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I have a lot of respect for Mister Bill Clinton however I do not agree that not discounting pro-gun supporters is the real issue.

I have often read some people talking about gun violence especially in America as if it is a new thing. Unfortunately we Americans have been sitting on our hands while American citizens are constantly being murdered continuously by guns-(I said by Guns-not by human thoughts, not by some unknown to known phenomenon, but by the fact that one has picked that gun up and used it.)

When any society places principles, practices, procedures before the lives of others than that has become a sick society. The American Constitution states "In Order to Form a More Perfect Union" we cannot form a more perfect union if people's lives in fear of their life because there are those among us who enjoy playing with guns. We cannot form a more perfect union if the children we demand go to school lives are threatened by guns. A union generally means I don't get to do everything I'd like to do, it means I have to make some sacrifices for the whole.

1. profile image54

Not in this case, Union has entirely different meaning.

2. Waldo Numbly profile image59
      Waldo Numblyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How would the founding fathers respond to the concept of punishing the masses for the actions of a minute demographic?  A handful of video-gaming druggies, who were raised in a vacuum of television and computer screens, neglected by parents, are flipping out and performing intermittent copy-cat mass shootings.  These little freaks are driving the policy of an entire nation.  Do we really want this paradigm to thrive?  With or without guns, they will find a way of hurting themselves and others.  Change the paradigm.  Change the culture of parental neglect.

12. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 11 years ago

Here ya go Habee, let me see if I can trim the sails and work the rudder to help get your thread back on track.

The issue is not the details of gun control, or even the pros or cons. The issue at hand is the emotional strength of gun control as an issue

With regards to being a "moral man," (is that an oxymoron?) - I have some serious issues with Clinton. To me, he seems to view rules and ethics as conveniences. But... as a very smart politician, that does understand and empathize with the average citizen, and really does have the best interest of our nation at heart - I give him high marks.

So, to your point. I think he is right. I think he is very aware that most of today's politicians are very out of touch with the "Average Joe, (or Jane)" American citizen, and he is offering this warning to help his party.

I think he understands that this issue is so basic that "ram-through" tactics, such as those to pass Obamacare, will backfire and hurt the Democrat party - his party.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)