Irrational fear of guns? No way.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Feinstein doesn't know what the things she is trying to ban actually are. When you ask her, she can't answer. For example, she thinks a barrel shroud is a 'shoulder thing that goes up'. Clearly, her desire to ban those 'shoulder things that go up' is a rational, logical decision, right?

A young girl was suspended and ordered for psychological evaluation for saying she was going to shoot another girl with her Hello Kitty bubble-gun. She was going to assault that poor girl with a high-capacity, automatic, assault-bubble gun. Clearly suspending her and ordering evaluation is a rational, logical decision, right?

Most people don't know what 'assault weapon' means. Some think it's black rifles. Some think it's automatics. Some think automatics need to be banned. Some think automatics are already banned. Clearly, these arguments are based on reason and logic, right?

Many people will look at two guns, one black rifle, and the same rifle with a wood stock and camo pattern, and only call one of them an assault rifle. Clearly that is a rational, logical distinction... right?

The Chicago Tribune printed a graphic about assault rifles, pointing out the sling mount as a bayonet/grenade launcher mount. Reason, logic, right?

Many want to reinstate the AWB, which bans guns not based on their firing capability, but whether or not they have certain cosmetic features. Rational, logical, right?

Sadly, logic and reason aren't taught in our schools. Logic and reason aren't welcome in our political debates. Emotion is the driving factor for the majority of Americans.

1. profile image0
      HuntersWhittposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but I just simply can't support you on this one, and you are way off base, and should be ashamed!

How dare you minimize the threats and dangers of bubble guns! Bubble guns are one of the leading cause of slippery floors and red eyes among 3 - 9 year-olds. And that's to say nothing of the accidental bubblings that take place every year.

Oh sure, the "Big Bubble Fat Cats" will tell you that bubble guns are a part of our National traditions, and they're for unrestricted access to all bubble guns, but I ask you, does any private citizen really need to be able to blow 40 - 50 bubbles per minute!?!?

It's time to wake up America and realize that as long as anyone can walk into a department store and load up on Assault Style Bubble Guns, none of us are safe.

http://agonist.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/hello-kitty-bubble-gun.jpg
      The Real Enemy!

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It goes far beyond that, as well.  Anyone wanting a bubble gun also wants a BB gun - a terrible tool that will shoot your eye out!

Once they have the BB gun they'll want a .22, and not just any .22 but one that shoots long rifle bullets.  Long rifles!  What could ever be worse?

They won't stop there, of course - that oh so innocent bubble gun is going to have otherwise wise and fine folks buying a rifle, and one that can shoot more than 3 bullets without reloading.

From there that little girl will next want a .50 caliber belt fed machine gun and then a tank.  So, you see, bubble guns lead in a direct procession to everyone wanting an M1 Abrams. 

The school erred only in not immediately executing her on the spot.

1. tammybarnette profile image62
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of  marijuana being the gate way drug in our war on drugs campaign lol

2. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/paper-gun-620x362.jpeg

A 5th grader was scolded and searched in front of the class for having this in her pocket.

Nope, we're not irrational about guns. We don't use emotion to make our decisions. Nope.

1. profile image0
        HuntersWhittposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Am I missing something, isn't that just a piece of paper?

1. profile image55
          whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in the shape of a semi-automatic pistol! Can't you see the danger?

2. profile image0

No, you're not missing anything. The student got in trouble for having it. Apparently her Grandpa made that 'gun' for her to play with. She left it in her pocket, and went to throw it away when she was at school, when they saw it.

1. profile image55

That's the problem, she was just going to leave that dangerous weapon laying around for just anybody to pick up.

1. profile image0

I really want to laugh... but this issue is SO RETARDED, while simultaneously SO IMPORTANT, I just can't.

Eric Holder has done his job... when he went on camera talking about how he wanted to brainwash Americans against guns. His words.

Nobody cares. They've been brainwashed, and if they see the people who have brainwashed them admitting that they wanted to brainwash them all along, they don't care!

1. profile image55

In order to admit that you have been lied to you have to throw your blind allegiance aside, that isn't going to happen. Instead they will continue to blame guns for all the problems. I'm still watching the gun cam and it has not done a thing.

2. profile image55
    whoisitposted 11 years ago
    1. profile image0

Yup, this is what all the emotional arguing over guns leads to. Of course, *they* will never admit that they are emotional arguments.

3. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Irrational behavior, overreaction in a crisis situation I can agree with that. But what frightens me more than this is the lack of concern for gun deaths, gun injuries day after day, year after year-how many people must die before finally someone says ENOUGH?

1. profile image0

To be honest, there are millions and millions of people who die from all sorts of causes, that the majority of people aren't concerned about.

The question isn't whether or not people are dying. Saying ENOUGH doesn't do anything.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I take it from your remarks the best thing we can do is standard quote-Do Nothing as always.

1. profile image0

Nope, not what I said.

Best thing we can do is to free up gun laws, let people defend themselves, and educate people about guns.

If we're just concerned over the number of lives lost, we need desperately to focus on smoking, diets, and driving campaigns.

1. profile image55

It sounds like Diane Feinstein is going to violate her oath of office and try to have some weapons banned.

2. SpanStar profile image61

Like I said back to the standard quote-do anything and everything except deal with the most serious issue for human safety in this country and possibly a around the world-it seems to me Enough is enough. We are in a sad state of affairs when waitresses have to walk around with shoulder holsters, school teachers have to teach a class wearing assault rifles. Our message to the world will then be come to America and make sure you're fully armed.

1. profile image55

Irrationality is catching.

2. profile image0

Read it again. I didn't say do nothing, did I?

I didn't say ignore the 'most serious issue for human safety'. Guns aren't the most serious issue in this country either... not by a long shot.

If you want to talk about crime, there are plenty of things we can do for that too.

You probably want to focus on banning assault rifles though, don't you?

1. profile image55

You know it, waitresses have to wear shoulder holsters and all that.

2. SpanStar profile image61

We have over 350,000,000 guns in this country, whether we remove assault rifles from this country we will still be dealing with I had a lot of guns a long time thereafter. Hopefully by removing some of these assault rifles we can cut down on the number of citizens deaths in this country.

1. profile image55

15 Most common cause of deaths in the U.S. Gun control won't change these facts.

1. Diseases of the heart
                  2. Malignant tumors    22.8
                  3. Cerebrovascular diseases    6.7
                  4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases    5.1
                  5. Accidents (unintentional injuries)    4.4
                  6. Diabetes mellitus    3.0
                  7. Influenza and pneumonia    2.7
                  8. Alzheimer's disease    2.4
                  9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis     1.7
                  10. Septicemia (blood poisoning)     1.4
                  11. Suicide    1.3
                  12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis    1.1
                  13. Primary hypertension and hypertensive renal disease     0.8
                  14. Parkinson's disease (tied)    0.7
                  15. Homicide (tied)     0.7

1. SpanStar profile image61

I take it most of what you've listed here is out of the hands of humans which is to say there isn't much we can do about them but we can do something about gun violence.

2. profile image55
                    Education Answerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

New York has moved to fix some of these problems!  Not only have they addressed their concerns about guns, they have addressed their concerns about soda.  Remember, anything above 16 ounces is banned in fast food restaurants.  That should do the trick.  Much like banning guns solves violence, banning sodas makes us all thin and healthy.

2. profile image0

Assault rifles, which are responsible for something like 40 deaths a year...

See my point, you're not focusing on the greatest safety issues our country is facing. You're focusing on an emotional argument.

1. profile image55

I agree.

3. innersmiff profile image65
                  innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'Hopefully' we'll be able to cut down on the 40 deaths per year from assault rifles by violating property rights. I'm spectacularly unconvinced.

3. profile image55

What's the solution, take guns away from law abiding citizens?  Do you really truly believe that criminals and murders are going to turn in their guns?

1. profile image55

Have you read her posts? She truly believes that.

2. profile image55

I have said enough, I quit using my finger as a gun, I will never kill again!

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I have grown tired so I will take my leave.

1. profile image55

That's generally what happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)