Why Should Businesses Care About The Poor?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    HuntersWhittposted 11 years ago

This is another theme that has come out in our economic discussions, and I'm curious to see what HubPages thinks:

What responsibilities, beyond wages, do employers have to their workers?

Consider the following hypothetical:

Bob goes to work for Bigmart. When he applied for the job, he knew that it was for minimum wage, and he still chose to take it. Bob is a hard worker, and a model employee, but Bigmart never offers him more than his minimum wage job. At minimum wage, Bob can barely keep a roof over his head, and keep his family fed. He can't afford healthcare and is even looking into going on public assistance just to help make it through.

My question is:

A) Does Bigmart have any additional responsibility to Bob, other than his agreed upon wages?
    B) If so, what is the source and extent of that obligation?

1. profile image55
      whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They have no obligation to Bob, but its a good thing businesses don't act like this. I'm sure there will be a disgruntled employee who will respond to my post telling me how wrong I am, but the truth will be they didn't actually resemble Bob in any way at all.

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bigmart is in no way responsible for Bob's lack of advancement but Bigmart is doing itself a great disservice. By refusing to increase his salary (recognizing that he is competent to do the job) they in essence take another possible customer out of their targeted dynamic. That is something Henry Ford realized so many years ago. He gave everyone a wage that if they wanted they could buy the product they were producing.

Big business and corporate greed are in a race to the bottom to get every last penny of greedy profit they can all the while raping the customer base of disposable income to spend on their products. The greed is clouding their good sense and creating a dead end where they get it all.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's great (to pay workers enough to buy what they're building) but only if it's a cheap product.  I can't see paying Boeings workers enough that they can all own a 747.

1. rhamson profile image72

But can a cabinetmaker be paid enough to buy a kitchen? Can a oil worker afford to buy heating oil? Can a resturant worker afford to eat out? These are the examples I make. Anyone can go to an extreme to disprove a theory but can common sense see a way to make life affordable and not feed a corporate greed paradigm?

1. profile image0
            JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can the business afford to pay that much? People forget that aspect of it.

I worked for a pretty high-end restaurant. Say they paid me $60 in a 6-hour period, and I cleared  $1000 in food. They would have lost money if they raised my pay to $100 for 6-hours.

I don't know why, but the kind of argument you are making always comes with ignoring the actual money available.

As I said any extreme can blow apart an example. You are prone to the extremes to a fault. You totally get what I am saying but seem to choose to be argumentative rather than helpful. The paradigm exists because it favors one to the other. The greedy need no excuse to wallow in their greed, they are immune to the fundamentals when confronted with logic because of it.

1. profile image0

I'm not talking about extremes, I was talking about a relatively well-off business. I've seen businesses that pay $9/hr that couldn't even afford a $0.50 raise to every employee.

The extreme is to say that employees should be paid more without looking at any of the data.

I too have worked in high end restaurants where the wages were not much above the norm. Where I made my money was in the tips where I could more than afford a meal. There are variables that apply to most every situation but your argument is way too specific and does not address the issue or its gist.

1. profile image0

You're completely ignoring my point. My argument points out that you can't make a blanket statement. It's IMPOSSIBLE to even say how much a business COULD pay its employees, let alone SHOULD pay, without a detailed look at their financials.

We have so much wealth in the US, and one reason is that we drive the prices for everything down so low. Along with that, the wages for low-skill jobs go down as well.

2. profile image0

One last try rhamson.

I asked if a business can afford to increase wages.

I gave an example of a business that couldn't really.

Is the proper logical deduction that I am saying

1 - All businesses can't afford to raise wages.
              or
              2 - Some businesses can't afford to raise wages.

Couple that with my second post on the topic, where I said that we can't determine if a company even can raise wages without considering the financials, and the only logical deduction is that I am saying the financials must be considered. I even said, in my post, that the blanket statements you are talking about don't work.

I have not been all over the place, it's not my fault you can't understand what you're reading.

If you can't keep up and wish to play word games where you can only see your opinion then I can't help you. I have better ways of spending my time rather than playing these games of yours.

1. profile image0

Lol, you're the one playing games. Pretending I've said things I haven't said. I'm not the one who can't keep up.

2. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

May be not enough to own one, but enough to travel on one at will.

3. Praetor profile image61
      Praetorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A: No, Bob knew what the job paid before he took it, if he doesn't like it, he can look for another job.

B: No further obligation exists.

1. John Holden profile image60

But there are no other jobs!

1. profile image55

Its the only job? Man, he needs to move.

Where to?
            Somewhere else where jobs are in short supply?

I suppose he could move to China, but how would he afford that?

1. profile image55

I don't know how it is where you are but the US has plenty of jobs in certain parts of the country.

Yes, I remember some years ago sitting in a local pub with your UK alter ego having a similar discussion.

There's loads of jobs quoth he. So we searched through pages and pages of jobs but couldn't find one for him that wouldn't have resulted in a drastic pay cut (and he wasn't over paid to begin with).

Moving of course requires a considerable amount of money, more than could be afforded by somebody earning the minimum wage.

1. profile image55

You use minimum wage over and over, if you have a marketable skill you are not earning minimum wage.

I only mentioned a minimum wage in that post to illustrate the futility of telling people to move!
                    All right, forget minimum wage, the average family would find it very expensive to move if they were unemployed.

2. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

US wages haven't kept up to inflation period.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-2 … e-day.html 
    I bet Bigmart cares about it's shareholders.
    Yes, they should care about their workers enough to at least have some sort of  increase in pay for their more productive workers. Not only on a human interest side but to reduce turnover.
    The corporate climate of America has caused this. It's profits over people. It wasn't like this 30 or 40 years ago.
    The labor unions combated and rectified this problem. How soon everyone forgets.

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

The system says "no obligation to Bob", that is what the government is for. However I bet if the owners had to live in the same communities as the workers, there would be some change of heart.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Bigmart has lots of responsibilities to Bob.  They have a responsibility to:

provide a safe workplace
    pay Bob the agreed amount, on a timely basis
    keep Bob free of sexual harassment
    maintain Bob's unemployment and workman's comp. insurance

There are many others as well but Bob's compensation is another matter.  Bigmart has a job available that is worth only at minimum wage.  It doesn't need a careful employee; mistakes are tolerable.  It doesn't need an employee that is on time every day or even there at all; such things are forgivable.  It doesn't need an inventive employee that works at finding better ways of doing the task; they have taken care of that.

Bigmart is able to use entry-level employees to fill this job, employees that would be unfit to handle a more advance task.  The task Bob was hired for does not need top quality workers.

Neither Bob, you, I or anyone else can make that determination; only Bigmart.  That Bob is an exemplary employee and performs far beyond the minimum doesn't change the requirements of the job and Bigmart has no responsibility to pay any more for a job than it is worth.  It may well be to their advantage to do so and keep Bob on the payroll, but they have no responsibility to do so.

Bigmart, in conjunction with the free market place, is the determining factor as to what a job OR an employee is worth, no one else - not even the employee.  If Bob disagrees or he feels his abilities transcend the job he is free to find other work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)