jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

silent in your face...

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 3 years ago

If the great secret of capitalism is its power to leverage and channel the human spirit toward more transcendent ends, the great irony of progressivism is its propensity to take on the image of its own materialistic critiques.

http://blog.acton.org/archives/48740-ec … ivism.html

http://blog.acton.org/archives/48556-wh … s-hat.html

2. grand old lady profile image87
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

Okay, I'm not sure about the capitalism transcendent connection. And the progressivism connection to materialistic critique is puzzling. But there is a strange lilt to your sentence that has me momentarily mesmerized. .

3. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 3 years ago

...sorry, I didn't write that quote, it came from the article posted link...

but yes, there is something about that quote that caught me, too...

as far as capitalism goes, I do believe it is not in most instances done from that transcendent standpoint because it is flawed by the hands, minds and spirits of those perpetuating it...but that doesn't mean it can't be done more transcendently when people choose to put their hearts to it.

and I can only define the second aspect of the quote from my perspective that progressivism is so secularly and human motivated that transcendence isn't possible

1. grand old lady profile image87
      grand old ladyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think capitalism has the potential for transcendence, but agree with you that humans who implement it are flawed.

But I think taxing the rich more is probably necessary, not out of materialism but because the current economic system requires the payment of debt, and the richest ones are in a position to be of greatest help. I understand Paris Hilton's pink car, but my tiny Hyundai can run, too.

working