jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Oh, the irony....about those guns

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/01/2 … erves.html

Pro-gun Idaho legislators are "disturbed" by an armed man roaming through the Capitol.  Idaho Senate President Pro Tem Brent Hill (a supporter of gun rights) is suddenly scared about gun owners exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.  Really?  I thought allowing people to carry firearms made us safer.

I'm confused; doesn't it make us safer when citizens are armed?  Why is Hill suddenly scared of guns?  I don't get it.

I guess men in hats are extra scary.  And signs, too.  What will the pro-gun legislators do when six men in hats come and sit in the front row?

Seriously, if you read the article, there are several quotes from Republican legislators who have consistently supported the rights of gun nuts to carry their weapons pretty much anywhere.  Now, when it happens in their space, they feel scared instead of safer.  Why?

1. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Isn't always easy to sit back (especially in the bubble inwhich our law makers live) and spout off ideologies, but when the rubber meets the road some will whistle a different tune....Maybe those of us who want some simple control measures hevr been handling this all wrong, I mean if 20 dead children didn't shake them to the core...Maybe we should have merely lined up picketing with our AR15"s instead of signs...

PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I think you're right.  Maybe us liberal gun owners should get a little more organized.  ;-)

2. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago

Dunno. You find ignorance, hypocrisy, and simple stupidity in politics on both sides.

PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So, just so I'm clear, where you do see the ignorance and stupidity?  Based on your previous postings about guns, I'm not sure.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The same place you do, probably.

Banning hats while allowing guns... that's pretty stupid.

Being afraid of citizens who are openly carrying guns, while promoting gun rights, is pretty hypocritical.

3. taburkett profile image62
    taburkettposted 3 years ago

I find it amazing that anyone would joke about protecting children that are on a field trip.
    The problem was that no one knew who the person was or their intent.
    Responsible adults do not create a situation where violence would result from such irrational actions.
    The legislators are attempting to fix the problem by identifying all security personnel for the safety of their visitors.
    This cavorting individual was definitely generating a risky situation for all people in the building due to their unusual activity in the presence of children.
    Had I been the security personnel on duty at the site, I would have detained the individual until the state police arrived and then swore out a charge of inducing a panic.
    When asked who was paniced, I would have stated that I was because the individual was sneaking around with a weapon while in the presence of minors who could have been at risk.
    Having disarmed irrational people in the past, this would have been a simple task.