Corporations are Ruining America.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (97 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

How?

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not just America but the world, the corporate world has become more powerful than governments, the money they can throw around often make a mockery of democracy. More importantly they are largely responsible for the massive ecological damage suffered by our earth due to irresponsible and reckless greed, something which is already affecting everyone on earth.

The corporate structure is essentially a pretty scary thing, we get massive groups with large power and often private armies whose only aim is to make money regardless of the harm and above and ethical or moral obligations.

Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have just realized that there is no stopping them.

Now what?

1. lone77star profile image71
          lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Boycott!

Hit them in their pocketbooks. For any that depend directly on individual, human customers, and who perpetrate lobbying in Washington or have divisions that are part of the Military-Industrial-Complex, paint their name in blood to have people boycott them.

Show them who's boss.

And as far as politicians go (the ones who do the bidding of their Corporate Party masters), target the worst and educate their constituents.

And get rid of both corporate lobbying (outlaw lobbyists) and corporate campaign contributions.

2. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

everything is currently backed through a facade of paper that is continually floated between the wealthy leadership of the international nations.  This is easily orchestrated as ignorance grows through the chaotic USA.  The common factor in this ignorance is the individuals emotional rather than devotional scrambling through the material maze.

1. Jewel01 profile image62
        Jewel01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please provide a specific issue that may be researched.  I agree the government used our emotions rather than giving us the facts.

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 11 years ago

Every person in America, every day, every minute, uses products designed and manufactured by major corporations. There's no way around it. Even if you wanted to use only products provided by small independent businesses, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a mom-and-pop operation that manufactures light bulbs. Or toilet paper. How about grocery bags (paper or plastic), batteries, paper plates, ballpoint pens, asphalt, basketballs, gasoline, and salt? There are billions of things produced by giant corporations that every American simply must use because there is no other choice.

Obviously those corporations are necessary to keep our economy thriving and to satisfy the material needs of billions of people worldwide. The products produced by American corporations are the best in the world; my first choice is always to buy American, and I'd never live anywhere else.

America was built from the sweat and toil of small businesses, and many of those small businesses in time developed into corporations, and later giant corporate entities. No problem with that when you're talking about commerce, contributing to the economy, and healthy competition that increases product quality. But our government was supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people-and nowadays our country is increasingly being ruled by corporations. They have insidiously weaseled their way into controlling and influencing every single facet of our lives, and most Americans aren't even aware of it.

As for small businesses nowadays, it's an uphill struggle all the way, if the product or service the small business is selling is also being sold by a corporation. Corporate products and services usually aren't nearly as well made or dependable as those provided by small businesses, but because corporations mass-produce them, often from components bought cheaply overseas, they can offer their products for much cheaper prices. And over the last decade or longer, large corporations that used to sell wholesale only to businesses have begun to sell directly to consumers, thereby cutting out the middleman altogether. Small businesses don't have a chance reselling products for a profit if they have to buy those products from the corporation at the same price consumers can get them for directly. But it's not just the small business that suffers-the consumer also suffers when there's a problem with the product and the corporation can't or won't provide the quality product support that a small business owner would provide.

Do you think it would be fair to enforce a legal size limit on corporations and conglomerate companies? Can/should we we limit their size and power?
      ...for the sake of the survival of small business?

We already have anti-monopoly laws!

Are they being followed?
        Would President Obama know anything about this subject?
        Sir?
        - what..? The President might be reading HubPages! He should be, anyway!  I wish he would sign up.
        Oh yeah, in the light of what Reality Bytes is saying... Fat chance of that.)

2. Jewel01 profile image62

It seems as if you believe you are stuck with the status quo.  I realize there are basic items, each person needs to survive.  The truth of the matter is, we are a nation built on consumption.  We do not need most items we purchase.  Youtube has a great video documentary regarding this issue.  It is called, "Century of the self."  I do not expect that anyone would actually listen or view it, as it is a 4 hours series.  I have recommended it to several people and to date, not one person has viewed it.  It explains a lot of issues we face today regarding our government and how it operates to get you to not pay attention to what is really going on.  It speaks about consumerism.  It was after WWII that we  began to buy items we did not need.  There is much we can do?  We are the 99% of the people.  It was because of the occupy Boston, and many other states, and even the banks, that change occurred. The government and big business is happy we busy ourselves with conversation and fail to do anything to demand change.  We as a people do not fight for our rights.  Recently, I wrote my Senator and let her know I did not appreciate her holding up the fiscal cliff based on a tax deduction of 150 million dollars for NASCAR.  Do we know what they are voting on.  Piggy back bills should be done away with.  It would be much easier to track what has been voted on if it were one item bills, no pork.  Noam Chomsky is an intellectual who is very educated regarding  these matters.  The late, Howard Zinn was a historian regarding the wars we have fought.  We are an Imperialist Country.  Billions of dollars are spent every year to assert our control and implement our plans.  No wonder so many countries hate us.  We talk of freedom, but only if you agree with us.  To date the United States has violated more resolutions set forth by the U.N.  Don't feel bad Israel is the worst offender of the all.  We say we are humanitarians, yet history and the facts prove us to be lairs.  I could go on and on, but I will let it be for now.  Please view the program, it would be for your own good.

1. tammybarnette profile image61
        tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1...Well Stated!

3. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your assumption that the products we now use everyday were designed and manufactured by corporations is very misleading. The corporations for the most part don't design and manufacture a thing. They buy and sell business' that have designed and proven concept that the corporations can turn a profit on. They in many instances have taken a proven American made product and shipped its' manufacture overseas to expand profits exponentially domestically. They also bargain down the worth of the product with the original ownership to even more broaden their bottom line. There is no service provided in any part of this process.
      You are correct in asserting that the corporations run the price down so much that no American company can even begin to compete with overseas labor in some cases that pay $11.00 a month. This is a race to the bottom that Americans have no legs to compete. I agree that the services and products provided by these foreign produced products are in many cases substandard but the competition has been run out of business in this process and we are stuck with the horrible results.

I don't know where it became okay to sell crap to the consumer with no choices other than even cheaper crap that is useless almost as quickly as it is consumed.

Corporations bought out the smaller business' to cut the competition, bought the legislation that shipped the jobs overseas and is trying to bankrupt people by selling them products that are now too expensive for a person without a job. The Japanese started this model years ago knowing how shortsighted the corporations were in demanding quick returns on their investments and how stupid the American consumer was in buying anything that was hawked at them at such great savings.

Youtube video..".Century of the Self"  It is a 4 hours documentary series.  If you took the time to watch it, I am certain it would change your life.

1. rhamson profile image70

"The Century of The Self" is exactly what was begun in the build up of the great consumer society. This film is directed towards the reasoning of what the corporations create as our needs are readjusted. The reality of all this materialistic glutony we now have is a realization of that theory. The higher business end of it has made it so common that now it is accepted on face value and never removed from the paradigm.
          We are now in a stage where the bare neccesities such as food, fuel and housing are coming to the forefront as to what we can afford let alone healthcare and medicine. The taxes alone are making this a reality.
          The next time you step in a Walmart think about it.

I don't shop at Walmart and I am always asking myself is this a need or a desire.  I am learning to use items until they need to be replaced.  I am so happy to have finally found someone who was willing to put the time into viewing the program.  Thank you

Ok, can you explain the model Japan has put into place.  It sounds like interesting subject.  Consumerism is not just about the manufacturer but it effects the consumer i.e. debt.  We purchase many more, most if the truth were know, products we do not need.  Spending beyond our means to keep up with the Jones'.  I am not discounting your argument, but expanding on the issue, as it broader than many consider.

1. rhamson profile image70

The Japanese knew the shortsightedness of the American business thrust to make quick profits and limit liability through buying and selling smaller business' to get to the bottom line. In the late fifties and early sixties the Japanese flooded the marketplace with cheap knock off products that placated the hunger the American consumer had of getting more stuff for their money. In some cases they sold product at a loss to drive the competition out of business.

Some of these Japanese underlying concepts are so fundamentally different from western models that adjustment can be difficult and complete comprehension almost impossible. The most important concept to grasp is that of the overwhelming importance of personal relationships within the business cycle. Of all the business cultures of the world, Japan is one of those most strongly rooted in the concept that relationships should come before business, rather than business being more important than personal considerations.

This means that in order to achieve success in Japan, it is important to put the maximum amount of time and resource into the early stages of relationship-building — even when eventual results may seem a long way off.

Business models in Japan have been under enormous strain for more than a decade and there is massive pressure (both internal and external) for reform. Yet change comes slowly to Japan and old traditions and loyalties linger. Expect changes to happen, but do not expect an easy or quick transition - and do not assume that any changes will result in business models that will be immediately or easily understood by outsiders.

Our short commings became the basis of their foothold in our economy. They bought heavily in American real estate and banking which has taken a beating in recent years and truth be told the Japanese recession is ten plus years and counting but they still cling to their model of waiting for the prize for their patience.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

The UNITED STATES of AMERICA is a corporation operating under a corporate fascist system of government.  The facade of a representative republic has been torn asunder.  Major decisions of the nation are made in secret behind closed doors by national and international shadow governments. CFR, Trilateral Commission, Bilderbergers.. etc..

...Rothchilds?
      What does the future hold?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The City (London), the District of Columbia, the Vatican  the three city states that have been established to govern the new world order.  Easily identified by their monumental obelisks.

One is the financial capital.

One is the military capital.

One is the religious capital.

This is why the western empires are pushing their religion throughout the developing world.  Somalia, Nigeria, Sudan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Phillipines are all suffering from an onslaught of religious fervor.  All nations are having strongarm tactics used in establishing central banks loyal to the city.  The U.S. military is weaving itself into every corner of the globe!  Chance?  Coincidence?

The purpose of creating perpetual wars on boogeyman enemies created by the government. To use the security of the homeland as an excuse to enslave the globe.  Increasing criminal laws to ensure their forced prison labor camps have plenty of manual labor;

If history is researched, the pattern is quite clear.  It almost succeeded in the late 1930's, except the poster boy was a madman!

Oh how those disgusting malcontents crave for the power of life and death through their population control schemes.   Absolute power through the creation of digital currency.  All in the name of benefiting the people.

Yeah, OK!

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
          Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense for most part.

2. tammybarnette profile image61

I think you are on to something...So, the obvious propaganda that is dividing this country should be fought back through social media,spreading the truth, petitioning, etc. but can this work...Can sheer numbers create enough power against the elite who hold all the cards...money, power, etc.?

I agree: spreading the truth. The more that know, the better.

Hey!
              Maybe corporations are not ruining America! Maybe there are a lot of corporations that are hiring a lot of people and providing a lot of jobs. Not ALL corporations are evil.   ARE THEY?
              Maybe nothing is ruining America, except the government.

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

Actually lazy people, idiots and morons are ruining America.

So, is the country becoming ruined from within or without?
      Or maybe the country is just fine?
      Is it doing pretty good and we don't know it?
      I mean we are at 80% employment. Not good but not bad either. Right?
      I guess the question is: Will it get worse or better.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He means everyone who disagrees with him...

It will get worst, than it will get better.
          Some where between 10 to 15 years from now.

I think so too.
            but, not if there are not enough ways to freely survive. Do you think a sort of collective depression is possible? They talk about American resiliency. This will bring us through.
            I hope.

Most Americans are aware of the elite capitalistic class now, and it will take a lot of work to correct it and yes American have resiliency

Please answer:
                What kind of " work?" will correct it?

My work is going back 50 years ago with green eco mini home vilages, off grinds, in order to go 20 years ahead. I don't trust the Goverments grassroot programs enough.  Most people 50 years ago had saving bank accounts,  own their homes(small) and had no little or no debt. Bring the USA wars budget from 50% of the world's war budget downwards to 5%. Just to be average with other countries worldwide.

1. Get rid of guns except for hunting rifles with a liences, if needed for food.
                  2. Keep lowering world population.
                  3.More kindness/less Religion
                  4.Taxed the rich more and taxed the poor less.
                  5. Make love/not debt

Surprisingly, I think 1 through 4 is already being implemented through current government/Obama inspired policies.
                    5. Stop getting in debt.  That is going to be hard to do as we march quickly toward becoming completely cashless. LOL.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Suddenly,I agree with you, Logic,commonsense! After all, some corporations are powerful, but the majority are just humming along providing what they provide!
        Man, I almost lost my own logic and common sense!
        That was a close one!
        Thanks Logic,commonsense!

Someone just mentioned to me that our government has relaxed the anti-monopoly laws that we have already in place. This explanation also makes sense in the light of what Reality Bytes is telling us.
      Thanks, Reality Bytes!!

-have you read article 21 Un agenda, R.B.?
        I also have read about the plans of the CFR: getting rid of Mexican and Canadian borders and creating a Euro-style currency...(more likely, no currency at all.)

3. tammybarnette profile image61
      tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus … t/1735531/

The gap between rich and poor is well illustrated by the large multibillion-dollar corporations employing thousands of low-wage workers. With the Great Recession over, not only are many of the companies posting record profits, but executive pay remains extremely high.

Meantime, the federal minimum wage earned by many workers at those companies is worth 30% less than it was in 1968 in purchasing power, according to a 2012 report from the National Employment Law Project.

Two-thirds of low-wage workers — those paid less than $10 an hour — are employed by large corporations with at least 100 employees, NELP says.

They rely on worker insecurity.  If you are afraid of losing your job and ability to support yourself and family, you will not ask for a raise, promotion and such.  They know we are driven by fear.

Note to self.
          "Make sure I have a good job before I have kids."
          Another note to self.
          "If I have to take a job I hate... have the self discipline to save, plan, and work to find a job I love... or save, plan and work, to create a job I love. Network with others toward a productive end. The power of working with others is tremendous.
          The power of depending on the government is less than 0.

4. tammybarnette profile image61

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investin … 9-percent/

A recent NerdWallet study found that the top ten most profitable American companies paid an average of 9% of their pre-tax earnings in taxes to the U.S. federal government last year.  These same companies reported an average tax provision of 32%.

This information is available for 500 of America’s largest companies in the NerdWallet Tax Rate Transparency Tool.

Tax provision is the accounting metric for amount of taxes a company owes to all taxing entities, domestic and foreign.  It includes both taxes that will be paid in the current year and taxes that have been deferred to be paid later.

Because tax provision includes both domestic and foreign, current and deferred taxes, NerdWallet researched further to find how much was actually paid by these American companies to the U.S. federal government in the most recent tax year.  By dividing the current portion of federal taxes by pre-tax income, NerdWallet was able to calculate the percentage of these companies’ earnings that was paid to the U.S. government.  For the ten American companies with highest earnings in the most recent fiscal year, this number averaged 9%.

5. tammybarnette profile image61

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/1643-c … iness.html

Overall, the report looked at 280 companies in the Fortune 500:
      •The average effective tax rate for all 280 companies in the study over the three-year period was 18.5 percent; for the period 2009-2010 it was 17.3 percent, less than half the statutory rate of 35 percent.
      •Seventy-eight of the companies enjoyed at least one year in which their federal income tax was zero or less.
      •Thirty companies enjoyed a negative income tax rate over the entire three- year period on their combined pretax profits of $160 billion.

But, the money is being used in many ways and surely helps the economy percolate! 
        There are some very rich powerful evil forces in the world. They are the ones to fear. Not the average corporation.

6. taburkett profile image59
      taburkettposted 11 years ago

Corporations are Ruining America because:
      1) "people who run corporations are ruining the U.S. by seeking to use cheap foreign labor"
      2) "politcians who support foreign free trade that results in U.S. unemployment are ruining the U.S."
      3) "people who support the politicians who support the free trade that results in larger U.S. unemployment are ruining the U.S.
      4) "all the above are unpatriotic selfish immoral individuals who wish to destroy the nation"
      5) "many American consumers are complacent selfish individuals who do not care what is happening to America."

And I should add, those Americans who like buying cheap products made in China are ruining the US...We call Wal-Mart, China-Mart in our house, but Wal-Mart is probably the largest retail giant in America.

Some questions:
        1. "Are the Government's policies, (taxation, regulation or otherwise) forcing corporations and businesses to transfer some of their operations out of the country?"
        2. "Are the Union's pension plan demands forcing them to find labor where there are less demands?"
        3. "Are American workers incompetent due to the education they have been receiving?"

have the top execs gotten greedy?

- have some politicians?

definitely!

Any on the left?

Well of course, there is plenty of blame to go around...

can we pinpoint?

I wish I knew precisley but I do not, I smell the corruption from Washington a mile away...I think we still have good people as well, but the power and money have ruined many.

3. rhamson profile image70

I would agree with most everything you say except in your number 4 statement. I would substitute "who wish to destroy the nation" with don't care if they destroy the nation.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Wow. The conspiracy is vaster than I thought.
      How can we stop these corporations from ruining America?
      Refuse to patronize any business with "Inc." after its name.
      lol

Nope. not really, MM! We cannot refuse to patronize any business with an Inc. in front of its name. Why should we?
        If it is a truly evil America ruining corporation, it should be exposed. If it is THAT bad, we can actually rally together and not buy its products.
        (Like that's gonna happen in today's world.)
        Other thoughts coming to mind:
        Really, we should stop buying Chinese products. We should have refused to buy Chinese products years ago. Is it too late now? And maybe we should have kept our manufacturing here.
        I also think we should not be selling our land to foreigners! We should keep our land for American citizens to buy and develop for its citizens.
        I think I am ahead of my time.
        New World Order wants globalization.
        I do not.
        I am for the homeland.

This issue is much bigger than you give it credit.  You have to ask yourself what the repercussions would be?   If you went back to homeland, you might want to consider how we got the United States and who it really belongs to.  You need to go further down the rabbit hole.

You are calling me Alice?  What will I find down there? Ground level is good for me.

No, I would not call you Alice.  I am simply saying we probably never understand fully the intent of everyone.  When we make blanket decisions we affect many people we did not intend to.  Our government has convinced us to rally around there decision to make war, based on lies.  They believe we are not intelligent enough to make a decision, based on the facts.  They pull at our heart strings, instill us with fear, and lie to us about their real motives.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Could we also refuse to work there?

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Don't want to work for a corporation? Try starting your own business.
      I want to start my own school for middle school teens having a hard time in public school. Even if I had the capital could I?...what with all the business requirements, insurances and stipulations.

10. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 11 years ago

The issue is human mindset especially when that mindset is set in America. Generally America's mindset isn't about equality rather it is about winner take all. There was a time in America's past when mom and pop stores existed alongside big business but having a fair market value for their products and services wasn't good enough for corporations so now it's time to drive out, buyout those small businesses corporations now want.

I daresay when there were fewer customers to draw on companies were concerned about how to bring better services, better products and now in the days of plenty if one doesn't like the service or the products too bad.

Deleted

1. SpanStar profile image60
          SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

(DOJ) I believe that would be the United States Department of Justice.

Whether the laws have been relaxed regarding anti-monopoly I don't know.

I do believe when so many people are in bed with one another it's a little hard to take action against one another.

Well, it occurred to me that not all corporations are evil. We cannot tax them as though they are ALL guilty of greed!  The anti-monopoly laws are already in place!  The truly guilty or overly large corporations should be held accountable.
            Who is buying out and driving out businesses?  I mean who? If Wall Mart is going to buy out Target, it is obviously too big and it should be prevented!
            Some companies will rise to the occasion and offer more or other services when additional competition is brought into town by larger companies.

I am not arguing for corporations. I am arguing for checks and balances against them...  to keep them smaller and less powerful, rather than taxing them. Some of the businesses (large, small or Inc.) you tax,(and punish: taxing is not a good check) may be the good ones. Ultimately, we do not want to loose the career opportunities and jobs they provide.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing … evenue.cfm

"Individual income taxes and payroll taxes accounted for 82 percent of all federal revenues in fiscal year 2010. Corporate income taxes contributed another 9 percent. Excise taxes, estate and gift taxes, customs duties, and miscellaneous receipts (earnings of the Federal Reserve System and various fees and charges) made up the balance. The composition of tax revenue has changed markedly over the past half century. The share coming from individual income taxes has remained roughly constant, while payroll taxes have accounted for a larger share and corporate income and excise taxes smaller shares."

How much lower do corporate taxes need to be...This will only insure we the people make up the difference and we already pay 82% of all federal revenue...

The trickle down theory put into place by President Reagan is ether working or not. This is where the disagreement lies. His wife is still alive. I wish she would come out and tell us what President Reagan would say about the state of affairs today... as far as how powerful and large and uncontrollable the Inc.s have become.

It does not trickle down, it trickles into their pockets...We see the reports of the record profits, of oil companies for instance, while the rest of us suffer through a great recession...the top tier of these corporations are seeing their pay rise while those of the employees remain stagnant. I was remembering Henry Ford, he knew he needed to pay his employees well enough to afford the products they built, this attitude is missing from America today.

I agree. Thanks.
                      However, we cannot get rid of the very thing which encourages the growth of corporations just because we can't legislate morality. I would say it is the luck of the draw... unless we can legally and destructively radiate the forces which create the cancer of unchecked greed.

Why not a worker owned/ worker managed business?

not understanding.

11. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Not everyone is enthusiastic about large corporate businesses moving into the neighborhood. Over the years I've seen a number of communities vote against malls being established in their area. Some of their arguments were they didn't need the additional congestion from traffic hindering their lifestyle. Others felt establishing malls in their community presented an eyesore and potentially attracted the wrong sort of element in their neighborhood.

Here is an example of a successful CHECK  on large corporate businesses  and malls on the local level! The power came from the people themselves. I am glad to hear that they were listened to!

12. tammybarnette profile image61

http://sustainableconnections.org/thinklocal/why

Why Buy Locally Owned?

"There are many well-documented benefits to our communities and to each of us to choosing local, independently owned businesses. We realize it is not always possible to buy what you need locally and so merely ask you to Think Local FIRST!"

Yaaaay!

excellent, We planted a square foot garden last year, and have looked for ways to save energy this winter.  We are more conservative with water.  In our effort to reduce our footprint, we have managed to save a bit of money on our regular bills.  The kids are on board, and we sit down as a family and examine the recent bills, and check to see if we have used more or less energy in comparison to last year.

13. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Hehe. Let's use our computers, laptops, and phones, all made by large corporations, and harness the internet from a corporation, which accesses webpages that are stored on servers created by corporations, to complain about corporations.

So small businesses couldn't make the computers? I don't understand...Small businnesses couldn't manufacture? Internet, search engines, all only possible if done by a corporations?

1. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's very hard for a small business to make a computer... high-tech manufacturing requires a ton of capital.

So are banks more willing for corporations or is it the investors/ shareholders that provide the large capital input.

1. profile image0
              JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Investors, be it private capital or a bank loan, are more willing to go with a company with assets, proven track record, solid business plan, market research, etc...

Generally, you get that more from experienced corporations than you do with small businesses.  You have to prove to the investors that you are capable of producing, marketing, distributing, and that there is sufficient demand for the product.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)