jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Should America still be in the Middle East?

1. lesliebyars profile image77
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago via iphone

American soldiers need to come home to their families.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

My heart goes out to them. So sad. The suicide rate has gone up for those in their situation. We need to keep them in our prayers (for those who pray.)

2. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This has been a total waste of human life and resources. The unfortunate part is that our economy is so dependent on the war machine to keep it going even as anemic as it is.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

The US needs to get out. The area will not change their mindset and will fall into chaos as soon as the troops leave anyway.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

I think we are there for the balance of power as far as oil. If we are not watching that area, any dictator from any country could come and invade the oil producing countries and thereby take over the world. It was what Saddam Hussein was contemplating (according to a certain book I have been reading) before Bush stopped him. We will never be able to completely leave.
    Luckily,(or unluckily,) there are men and women still thrilled to go to war. They keep signing up...
    They sure don't have to!

1. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think having 17 aircraft carriers and marines standing by could raise all kinds of hell without having basses in these countries could do the trick just as well. The problem is that there is a lot of money the defense contractors would miss out on trying to find a way to provide contractor support on Navy ships. Not very lucrative for them and there for something they would lobby against.