jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Cell phones and computers a new way to vote in the USA?

1. 0
    Deb Welchposted 3 years ago

Do you think this new type of method would work?
    Registering your phone number along with ID.
    Obviously a format would need to be followed
    according to when to vote... etc.  I had thought of this idea
    even before The State of the Union address and the President
    had mentioned new methods for voting and to get more people
    to vote and exercise your freedom.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think it's too risky,  too much room for fraud.
      And personally I think it's really cool to actually go to a polling site and vote in person.
      But yeah I noticed Obama talking about it taking so long for people to vote.   But we have plenty of time, actually, to vote;  polls are open all day, and they're local polling places everywhere from what I understand.
      Obama used an elderly woman to make his point.   Well......I do know that polling places will provide seats for anyone who's unable to stand for long or who is in poor health etc.      I myself asked for a chair the last time I went to vote, because I have a debilitating illness and couldn't stand for that long;  as did some other people, and we were gladly accomodated.    And we have the absentee ballot for people who can't physically get to a polling place,  don't we?

I think  I'm rightfully leery about "new" ways to vote, because like I said it leaves room for too much impersonalness and fraud.

I don't see how it would get more people to vote at all,  unless it's more illegals or similar people who don't want to have to present an I.D.
      Ergo, another example of a tried-and-true tradition that Obama would like to change in order to accomodate quantity over quality.

1. 0
        Deb Welchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Secured Web-Sites are used for personal purchase by Credit Card so obtaining a Secured Site for a personal vote is very possible.  It would be a a programmed Format for casting a personal Vote by Computer/Phone for those who are not able to visit a Polling Place.  Usually voting only takes several minutes after waiting.  If it could help those who cannot go vote and who want to - this would be an answer to the voting problem in this country.  All new ideas have to be tested to the detail over years of time.  I only had an idea.  Thanks for your views.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

I really want to know what President O's problem is. He is freaking me out!

3. Max Winslow profile image59
    Max Winslowposted 3 years ago

It's an intriguing idea. Politically, it would be a tough sell. The potential for fraud would definitely be an issue. I feel as though the public would be hesitant to give the government direct access to their electronic devices.