jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Hate crime?

1. profile image61
    whoisitposted 4 years ago

So in New York if you use racial slurs you can be charged with a hate crime?

But the scandal won’t affect the actor’s standing in the Massapequa organization, Hanna said, even if Baldwin is charged with a hate crime.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 … z2LSdzJJm7

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

If you use a pile of racial slurs and then say "I want to choke you to death" to a woman standing right in front of you on the sidewalk... well. It sounds both hatey and crimey to me.

1. profile image61
      whoisitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But isn't that merely offensive language?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it's a crime,  but not a "hate" crime any more than any other verbally abusive language is a "hate" crime.
        The term "hate crime" is silly, and is starting to pervade the legalities of our Nation and our language.
        The proper term would be simply slander or verbal abuse, whatever.
        I mean, seriously,  if someone calls someone else a b__ch,  does that mean the victim (no matter if it's man or woman), can charge the person with violence against women?    Nope.

I'm so tired of everything being scrutinized to see if it's racist or not,  or if it's gender-tolerant or not.
        Abusive language is abusive language, whether the abuser hangs a label of skin color on it or not.
        Time was when the proper reaction to someone,  for instance, calling a woman a bad name or proposing lewd sexual things to her, would be a swift slap on the jaw from the woman or from some chivalrous person.    But now one would probably be charged with battery if they responded that way.  Now it's simply labeled a "hate crime" for the sake of the liberals who want to make everything a "hate crime" by having the abuser taken to court and accosted with the "politically correct" agenda.  Public controversy feeds agendas.

1. Barefootfae profile image59
          Barefootfaeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry Brenda....it's not going to be considered a "hate crime" unless you are Conservative.

Oh..............right.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I thought you didn't believe in crimes being labelled hate crimes? I would only agree to charge someone with a hate crime if it involved actually violence.

1. profile image61

I don't know who you are talking to but I don't think a hate crime is merely using offensive language.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
        Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And neither do I as my comment stated...

4. profile image61
    whoisitposted 4 years ago

And according to the story he didn't say I want to choke you to death which is actually a crime

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

The task force is reported looking into something.  He hasn't been charged with anything.

1. profile image61

Never said he had, I was astounded that he could be though.

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

It stops being offensive language when one begins to denigrate another person's race.

People need to stop pretending as if words cannot hurt you. A number of people have died over words particularly offensive words.

It seems to me that if one wants to not be labeled with negative connotations then I suggest people stop stockpiling racial epithets and other offensive language which can be sexes and or racist.

7. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

I wonder if anyone believe these actions culminating from racial slurs are simply issues to ignore, no big deal?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vid … ORM=NVPFVR

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/1 … d-vehicles

1. innersmiff profile image78
      innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Those who advocate freedom of speech tend not to make light of racism and asbuse. What they will argue is that these instances are no grounds for curtailing free speech. First of all, no legislation was installed banning individuals from commenting on what they thought of black people being allowed to go to white schools, yet we've got to a point now where mixed race schools are the norm. Laws already exist to tackle intimidation and coercion.

There also exists laws banning defacement of private property. There's no controversy arguing for freedom of speech in these cases.

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 4 years ago in reply to this

When we ascertain that no race is better than another race where then are those of us who feel we are privileged to stand in judgment of others?

It is the irresponsibility of those utilizing freedom of speech which labels and condemns innocent men women and children from being stereotyped. It has been a few years now but a gentleman working a gas station who wore a turban was killed by an American believing he was the kind of people Americans were fighting but he was not. The idea that just because he looked like someone whom he wasn't was justifiable enough to take his life.

When we as an adult cannot demonstrate to the younger generation that bigotry, hatred, ignorance are attributes we reject then we continue our rather perpetuate the cycle of racial bias.

working