jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)

Jon Huntsman and Marriage Equality

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ … -cause485/

"Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry. I’ve been married for 29 years. My marriage has been the greatest joy of my life. There is nothing conservative about denying other Americans the ability to forge that same relationship with the person they love."

This is great to see.  I'm glad some members of the right are beginning to stand up for the equality of gay Americans.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Of course, when Obama said this he was accused of pandering for votes. Not saying this is the case, I hope this helps change some minds.

Although, there are some crazies out there. Someone on Facebook actually posted that the Communist Manifesto tells governments to allow gay marriage to control the population lol

1. 0
        Sooner28posted 3 years ago in reply to this

WHAT???/  LOL.

Does that poster know that the Communist Manifesto is available in most public libraries, so an inquiring mind could easily disprove such obvious fabrication?

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong about this, Marx never even mentioned homosexuality in any of his writing.

1. 60
          whoisitposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You might be surprised that you can find it on the internet too.

2. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's a liberty issue to me. Government shouldn't be in the marriage business anyway, but if it is, all citizens should be equal.

1. 0

Glad to hear it Jason.  I think it's pretty consistent with libertarian philosophy to not be in favor of laws that discriminate against a segment of the population, even if you privately disagree with homosexuality itself.

1. 60

Do you feel the same way about guns?

2. 60
    whoisitposted 3 years ago

What states don't allow marriage? All states allow marriage.

1. 0

He's talking about states that let ALL citizens marry. Not just certain 'religion-approved' couples.

1. 60

All states let all citizens marry as soon as they become of legal age! Unless you can show me different.

1. 0
          1. 60

That does not prove me wrong. I will say it again all states allow its citizens to marry.

1. 0

Not all citizens. You really think all states allow two guys or two girls to marry each other?

1. 60

Yes, all citizens have the same right to marry as all other citizens, some states allow for same sex marriage but that does not change the fact all states allow all citizens to marry!

1. 0

No, not all states allow all citizens to marry the adult of their choice. You're just trying to play a pointless semantics game.

What's the point? Seriously, what's the point?

1. 60

Of course I am, but my point is that it is not marriage inequality.

2. 0

Are you being difficult on purpose?  All states allow some citizens to marry the partner of their choice, and a few states allow all citizens to marry the partner of their choice.  That's the only accurate way of putting it.

Homosexual citizens are excluded in most states, including the Sooner state where I live.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There you go again, taking the same stand and arguing it in exactly the same way that that guy named repair guy did...  It's uncanny.

3. LauraD093 profile image85
    LauraD093posted 3 years ago

***All Americans should be treated equally by the law, whether they marry in a church, another religious institution, or a town hall. This does not mean that any religious group would be forced by the state to recognize relationships that run counter to their conscience. Civil equality is compatible with, and indeed promotes, freedom of conscience.***

Glad you took my suggestion-was worried you may have taken a long-term hub vacation.The above statement pretty much sums up a logical solution for the issue but when is government ever logical?It is so important to have all 50 States legalize same-sex marriage.I live in a state that does not allow for (legal)marriage between same sex partners. A close friend of mine lost his partner of close to forty years they had dragged their feet and had not had their separate wills drawn up leaving power-of attorney and the right to any shared assets to the other in the case of illness or death.The swamp of  legal BS that my friend had to wade through after losing the love of his life was ridiculous. People keep trying to define marriage...when the issue is only to give everyone the same "Legal rights." A marriage certificate (don't ya know lol)  is a legally binding contract.

4. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

And this is why Huntsman should've been the Republican ticket. Then everyone would've voted for him, and things would've turned out okay, if not just better off than we are now.

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Huntsman was my pick. Guess he was too moderate for the far right.

working