jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

I believe in freedom

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago

An interesting thing happens quite often when I talk about my love of freedom... often someone will make an argument along the lines of 'You only think that way because you've never been down on your luck.'.

For instance, I've had people say that I'm only against universal healthcare because I've never been in the position where I didn't have insurance. Well, that's not true. I've been on death's bed before with no insurance, and my wife has been there as well. Even when she was so sick and we struggled to get her care, I wouldn't have wanted someone else to be forced to pay for her care.

Another example is that I support the right of the owner of a business to set the terms of employment. I've rejected jobs that didn't pay enough. I wasn't insulted, I wasn't harmed. For me, being offered minimum wage when I was looking for double that was no worse than if that job never existed in the first place. I would never want that employer to be forced to offer me more money than he wants to.

Similarly, I support the right of an employer to terminate his employees as he sees fit. Recently my wife was fired for a completely ridiculous reason. Basically, her manager told her to do X, she did X, and the owner came up after and said she shouldn't have done X and fired her for it. Even then, I would never want someone to force that employer to keep her on.

I believe in freedom, I believe it is the most important aspect to having a successful society. Freedom leads to responsibility leads to prosperity. Freedom isn't always a pretty picture, but life isn't always a pretty picture. The mentality that we need the government to take away our freedom 'for our own good' is as ludicrous as a parent wrapping their child in bubble-wrap to keep them from harm.

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That bubble wrapped child suffocated.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In truth, one day he found himself grown up and his parents were gone. He had to go down a flight of stairs, and threw himself down it knowing that the protections his parents had given him his entire life would keep him safe. Only this time, no bubble wrap.

2. 85
      Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good points.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'm just getting too fed-up with this country(by country I mean the retards who live in it, I still love the ideal of America).

Offering post-traumatic-event counseling to children because another child ate his pop-tart into the shape of a gun? Telling a young deaf boy that he needs to change his name because it looks like a gun? Arresting a teenager for having a ringback tone "Shooting some b-ball outside o' the school" because it says 'shooting'?

Giving the government authority to kill citizens with no trial on US soil, even if they aren't an 'imminent' threat? Throwing away our freedom of speech, right to bear arms, freedom from illegal search and seizure, right to due process?

America is dying sad

1. 85
          Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Jaxson Raine,

Again, good points.  Do you find it a bit odd that the same president who said that terrorists should be taken from Guantanamo Bay and given their day in the New York courts has a kill list for American citizens?  It seems that you might have more rights as an accused terrorist than an if you are an American citizen under this POTUS.

2. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Jaxson, YOU have succinctly stated what I have believed for decades.   As I have stated before, no one owes anyone anything.   If one wants success, one must be willing to plan, organize, and work smart to attain their respective goals.   To many people nowadays, it is far easier to complain and whine regarding their socioeconomic situation and to blame 'THE MAN" than to do some introspection regarding their particular failngs in life.    One is in charge of his/her own destiny, believe it or not.   

I would like to address the fact that just because one is born in less than advantageous socioeconomic circumstances, DOES NOT mean that he/she is doomed to be in such circumstances for life.   He/she has the wherewithal within himself/herself to accomplish what he/she wants.   Examples of such are Oprah Winfrey, Mark Wahlberg, and other illustruous and noted people who come from humble beginnings.    Want to SUCCEED, CEASE USING THE EXCUSE wagon.