jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Racism Isn't Dead

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

"I am trying to imagine a white president forced to show his papers at a national news conference, and coming up blank. I am trying to a imagine a prominent white Harvard professor arrested for breaking into his own home, and coming up with nothing. I am trying to see Sean Penn or Nicolas Cage being frisked at an upscale deli, and I find myself laughing in the dark. It is worth considering the messaging here. It says to black kids: “Don’t leave home. They don’t want you around.” It is messaging propagated by moral people."

What truth!  It's disconcerting profiling like this still occurs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/opini … ;_r=1&

2. peeples profile image87
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

This quote in itself is bordering racism. Does anyone even believe that blacks are the only ones who have racism affect them? The quote sure makes it seem at least one person does, and if they really do they're ignorant. Human nature is to not like others. Racism will last forever just as sexism and every other form of discrimination. Harping on it only makes the problems worse!

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 3 years ago in reply to this

The perspective is African American.  I think that was pretty clear from the article. 

As to your comment, "harping on it only makes the problem worse," I'm flabbergasted.  Did "harping" on slavery make it worse?  Women's rights?  Gay rights?  The right to free speech?  People not standing up and asserting their rights is the current problem, not the contrary!

1. peeples profile image87
        peeplesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When I said harping, I mean playing the woman, race, or sexuality card every time someone disagrees from someone who is not of their own sex,race, or sexuality. Disagreeing does NOT equal racism. I'm tired of living in a country that constantly feels the need to force people to like the ideas and ways of someone for fear of being called a racist/sexist if they disagree.

1. 0
          Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well said.

2. 0

I concur that it does not.

3. LisaMarie724 profile image85
    LisaMarie724posted 3 years ago

It is unfortunate but there will always be people who judge people by their race, sex, religion, etc.  All we can do is try to teach our own children better.  I live in a neighborhood that is mixed with all kinds of ethnicities and religions and that is important to me.  I do not want my children to become ignorant individuals.  You are right, I know first hand that there are still people who are racist and it's a shame.  I wish they could see how stupid and uneducated they sound and look.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

"Harping on it" is the only way to make people confront and correct their prejudices. Racism is unacceptable, silence is acceptance.

5. Wayne Brown profile image86
    Wayne Brownposted 3 years ago

I do not recall any other presidents who have been called into question in terms of their potential citizenship....black, white, or whatever, if he wants to be president, he needs to have the proper qualifications.  As for white professors being locked up for breaking into their own homes...maybe none of them have locked themselves out.  If my memory serves me correctly the professor (whatever his race) was arrested for his attitude toward the investigating officer...not breaking into his own home.  It seems to me that you are the one attempting to place a "racial" face on such issues.

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Since when is it against the law to have an attitude? 

The idea that merely talking back to an officer is a crime is ridiculous.

2. 0

As Panther pointed out, having a rebellious attitude without breaking any actual laws is no crime at all. 

Furthermore, the professor must use a cane to walk.  Clearly he was not seen as a physical threat.  So why the arrest?

6. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

Racism still exists, and is indeed ugly.  From the end of the linked article:

"My wife is not like me. When she was 6, a little white boy called her cousin a nigger, and it has been war ever since. “What if they did that to your son?” she asked. "

For her entire life she has held onto the idea that because a 6 year old kid used a negative word that whites are bad, and will attack whenever possible. 

Yes, racism is ugly and is soul destroying.  One day maybe we'll get it out of our system.  Or not, when a lifetime of hate comes from the words of a 6 year old.