jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Bipartisan Destruction

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

In Charles Krauthammer's Washington Post article, Codify the drone war, he sums up the erosion of our civil liberties:

"Necessity having led the Bush and Obama administrations to the use of near-identical weapons and tactics, a national consensus has been forged. Let's make it open. All we need now is a president willing to lead and a Congress willing to take responsibility for the conduct of a war that, however much Paul and his acolytes may wish it away, will long be with us."

Krauthammer is generally a right-winger, so for him to admit—on foreign policy—Obama and Bush are all too similar is telling.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the similarity ends there.
      I like Krauthammer.
      I don't think his assessment means he's not still Rightwing; he's simply making an observation.
      Contrary to popular accusation by liberals,  Rightwingers are capable of seeing the whole picture without turning Left.   Well, some are (Colin Powell isn't;  but then I doubt if he was ever really Rightwing anyway.)

1. innersmiff profile image78
        innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Obama and Bush are both police statists and debt-spenders, launching illegal wars and eroding more of our civil liberties. That's enough of a similarity for me to reject both of them.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not me.
          Some people do the best they can with the situation they face.
          Some people intentionally erode the Constitution and America citizens' liberty.
          We both know which one did what.

1. innersmiff profile image78
            innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And the Patriot Act and warrantless wiretappings were not an intentional erosion of the Constitution and liberty?

2. Josak profile image60
            Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Both, too bad you are blinded by partisanship and won't see it. It remains a provable fact.

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

Krauthammer is not even disturbed at all!  He is simply saying we need to put into law what we have already been doing illegally, and I think he is a decent representative of many mainstream Republican pundits and politicians, and least on the use of drones and the police state, Democrats too.

working