Many Red State Residents are Really Blue

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

The unhappiest states
    Where do the saddest people in America live?
    By Susannah Bradley Fri 6:53 PM

The residents of many of Americas red states are feeling decidedly blue, according to a report issued this week (PDF) by research firms Gallup and Healthways. The annual well-being report found that theres a sadness cluster made up of 10 contiguous states in the Midwest and South.

Citizens of Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma scored poorly for multiple factors that affect well-being, including emotional health, work environment, physical health, healthy behaviors, and access to food, shelter and health care.

Respondents in the saddest states scored especially poorly for physical health and healthy behaviors. In fact, many of these states lead the nation in incidence of diabetes, obesity and other metabolic disorders. These respondents also were more likely to smoke, exercise infrequently, and consume few fruits and vegetables. In addition, they reported more worry, sadness, anger and stress than did residents of happier states.

So, with our saddest citizens clustered in the South and Midwest, where are the shiny, happy people? According to the report, the states where citizens enjoy the greatest sense of well-being are Hawaii, Colorado, Minnesota, Utah, Vermont, Montana, New Hampshire, Nebraska, Iowa and Massachusetts. … mp;_nwpt=1
    It was a surprise that some of the cold states had happier residents. I moved to a warmer state due to the cold climate but my level of happiness has risen only slightly. I do see many unhealthy people where I now live hmm

2. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 3 years ago

The argument is flawed because many Blue State residents are decidedly red.  It all depends on who is asking the question, who they are asking it to and the purpose of even asking such stupid questions.

The Frog