jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Inane A$$umptions

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

There are people who strongly contend that all women have a maternal instinct and desire to have children.   It is the assertion that to have children is the epitome of femininity.   Women have been indoctrinated since childhood that they must have children to be fulfilled, feminine, and happy.  They maintain that women who do not have a maternal instinct are odd and unfeminine.   They further claim that women who elect not to have children are totally amiss and have "a void" in their lives.

There are those of the opinion that women who have no children are unhappy and unfulfilled.   Some maintain that such women are selfish, immature, and irresponsible.   However, not every woman wants to have children.   Also, there are women who are not meant to have children and do not possess one iota of maternal instinct.     There are women who have children that were never meant to do so.  Such children suffer from barely perfunctory parenting or worse.   

However I am digressing.  Having children is not the parameter of a woman's happiness.   Furthermore, whether a woman has children or not is HER choice, not anyone's else choice.   There are childfree women who have exciting and fulfilled lives.   In other words, NOT EVERY woman can be a mother.    There are women who are better off not having any children at all.   It is sad that there is a stigma regarding women who have little or no maternal instinct and do not wish to have children whatsoever. 

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Bah, the stigma goes both ways.

Having children IS the parameter of my life and I WOULD be unhappy and unfulfilled without my kids. I love being a housewife.  I love being a mom.

And yet there is a certain type of woman that looks down her nose when she finds out how "oppressed" I am.  I have been asked "Don't you want more out of life?" Many times by ultra-feminists.

Nope, I'm good.  Thanks for your input.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Whether a woman decides to have children or not is HER INDIVIDUAL choice.   Whatever choice she makes should be respected and not derided.   Hell, it is NO ONE ELSE'S business but the woman making the decision.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
          MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  Just saying that people will always judge a lifestyle they don't choose.

I don't particularly care if another woman has no children or a dozen. Just as long as she doesn't tell me that her choice is the right one, I don't care.

I'll be the first to agree that if one doesn't want children, one probably shouldn't have them.

Although to be honest, I wasn't thrilled when I found out I was pregnant with my first. Up to that point I had never wanted kids.  I kinda warmed up to the idea after I had him...